Anyone have a Neptune 2 and any hints or suggestions to share?

So after seeing video reviews from people like Uncle Jessy and VoG(?), I was finally able to score a Neptune 2 before they went unavailable again :(

So, does anyone else have this printer and have any pros/cons on it, and maybe some tips/tricks to get the best out of it? And what would everyone recommend for filament?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think several of us have Ender 3s, and I've a buddy who runs several other printers including a Chiron, but i've not seen anyone report that they have a Neptune yet.  

That being said... the format and function are going to be similar to pretty much any other i3 clone out there.  The fact that it has a filament runout sensor is freaking awesome as a lot of them at this price point don't have that feature.  

Infodump incoming. 

in any case, Because of the format and size, pretty much any of the good tips for the i3 clones like the Ender 3 will work here.  Same tuning prints and evaluations, slicer code will function very similar. Looks like Elegoo has put out their own build of cura, which is nice, it will come pre-configured for the printer.

Check out the youtube channel Tomb of 3d Printed horrors, and 3d Printing pro for lots of tips on this style of printer.

More specifically - when you build it (it looks like it's a kit), take your time. Make sure everything is square and tight and plumb (use a framing square if you have one.  if you can't get something to square, try tightening the bolts in a different order.  This one thing alone will save you a TON of time getting up and going.

Since it lacks auto bed leveling (most do at this point),   Learning to properly level your bed will be your number one skill to learn.  Take a look at CHEP's easy bed leveling files https://www.chepclub.com/bed-level.html.  This is WAY easier and better than pushing the head around to test for level.

As for filament, that's a whole other can of worms to open, lol.  Stick with PLA at first unless you need the properties of PETG (it's a tougher finished product, less brittle and more chemical resistant).  TPU can be temperamental in bowden tube printers like this but it can be done, you just have to slow it down and take it easy, I'd save this for once you've got everything else working well for you.
 Nylon and ABS both require enclosures and ventilation and I'd avoid them until you're feeling very confident and have the other requirements met.  

Not all filaments are created equal and some will work better for some people than others.  Myself, I like Overture and Hatchbox, and have had some good results with ESun too.  MatterHackers is an option if you're US based but I've found thier MHBuild series is particularly sensitive to humidity and gets brittle easily. I don't use it much any more but it might be an option if you want to invest in a drybox to spool out of.

Speaking of drybox - most 3d printing filaments are sensitive to humidity and will absorb moisture out of the air.  Keep them sealed in airtight bags, with desiccant packets, when not in use to preserve the flexibility of the filament.

• Like 2