So, is there any building kit that might make for a good night club?

So, for reasons I should be ashamed to admit (mostly trying to decide what a bunch of "stripperific" miniatures from the lead pile could possibly be good for, and deciding that a strippers vs. zombies scenario with a night club as the last bastion of civilizations, or some vague semblance thereof, against the shambling hordes seemed like an obvious answer) and have therefore totally rationalized (hey, a night club would be useful for various cyberpunk/Shadowrun scenarios!), I'm looking to build my own 28mm night club. Except I'm really bad at scratch-building buildings without some pre-made shell to work off of, ideally with some internal structuring - so I need one of those, preferably MDF, though that's not a hard requirement.

I was thinking a converted warehouse might be a good option, but even the best candidate I found (Sarissa Precision's "CityBlock Warehouse") doesn't have enough internal structuring to give me enough of a backstage area without adding at least one extra plasticard wall (shouldn't be much of an issue), and would require me to deal with the unnecessary huge warehouse doors (e.g. by scratch-building the doorways being bricked up, something I'd much prefer to avoid doing on outer walls).

Given Google has a nasty habit of directing my MDF kit searches back to the same half-dozen manufacturers I already looked at in quite some detail, I was wondering: can anyone think of a building kit that might make for a good night club, preferably without needing modifications to outer walls (warehouse doors)?

• 3 weeks later...

Depending upon what you want, you might be able to find some older plasticville type kits from various O gauge train stuff

If you're willing to go a bit further with it and can work from a floor plan and foam core, there was a pretty good warehouse nightclub in one of the D20 Modern/Urban Arcana books or adventures...it might be in the old WotC archives from their map of the week/book art stuff from that period.

I used to have it along with several other useful maps printed out at scale for things.

• Like 1

I don't know what you've already looked at, or what you consider big enough, but I like Timeline Miniatures 28mm Public House.  It's got a large room for the bar/lounge and a few smaller side rooms, plus a 2nd floor for offices, storage, dressing rooms, what have you. 

The "28mm Scale Large Factory/Commercial Building 'B' for WW2/Warhammer MDF kit"  I found on Etsy looks nice, too.  Large warehouse door opening at one end, but you can slap something over that easily. 

• Like 1
On 5/27/2021 at 11:27 PM, SotF said:

you might be able to find some older plasticville type kits from various O gauge train stuff

Not in these here parts, unfortunately. In Europe, 0 gauge has been pretty irrelevant for decades. Märklin, who originally introduced it, stopped producing 0 scale in the mid-1950s.

I'd really prefer not to scratch build. I can't seem to get outer walls right, and this'd have to be a pretty big building...

On 5/28/2021 at 1:07 AM, Inarah said:

Timeline Miniatures 28mm Public House

Hmm, that looks pretty interesting, though with the layout of the second floor, it'd probably have to be less of a 'just lapdances' and more of a front-for-you-know-what night club. Which admittedly would work just fine for strippers vs zombies and/or Shadowrun, and should work without having to excessively mod the ground floor. I'll have to see whether anyone in not-an-island-that-doesn't-really-want-to-belong Europe carries Timeline!

Seriously, getting stuff from the UK directly is a bigger headache than from the US atm; it's almost like somebody pissed the rest of Europe off, so customs this side of the channel are looking extra hard whether even the smallest shipment arriving from the UK has flawed paperwork (but had to admit that little parcel from Alternative Armies declares as being below the import VAT limit actually was according to all the billing paperwork) - while letting huge parcels coming from the US that clearly indicate a high value slide through without charges (not that I'm complaining, mind).

Posted (edited)

I've seen the Sally4th stuff, and I'd love some of the accessories (that night club bar isn't actually for sale though, as far as I can tell). I absolutely don't want to use a modular gaming system like Terra-Block for this, though; I want a monolithic building with a removable roof (and possibly multiple floors). Ideally (if I can do a good enough paint/exterior design job... asking a lot, admittedly), it's supposed to look like a display piece in its own right.

EDIT: Actually, just checked their site again. I guess maybe you were thinking of some of the actual MDF building kits the site hints at their maybe having sold at one point in time, possibly, but that don't seem to be currently available because whyever.

Edited by Arkady

Hey, wow. That VAG probably wouldn't do me much good for a building intended to be exterior and interior detailed, but it could be absolute gold for something a friend wants to do - scenic backgrounds for display cases. One of those blocks 'flattened' could go a long way. Thanks for that suggestion!

And yes, Sally4th is a mess. They probably ought to hire someone who's lived past the Noughts to give that site a do-over.

I had to do some searching but there are interiors for the Mean Streets Buildings. I think you just need to scroll down a little farther on the page.

I see it now. Look for Mean Sets, those are the interiors.

And I found the Sally 4th sets, Google Exotic Location Sets - Sally 4th. I found it when I searched for Rick’s Cafe from Casablanca.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2

Oh, those Mean Sets are probably even more interesting as scenic display case backgrounds than the Mean Streets themselves. My friend will love those (if he hasn't discovered them already).!

Hmm, says they're not intended to fit inside any of the Mean Streets buildings, but they don't come with complete exterior walls. Trying to make that work for my night club would probably involve more scratch building and kit bashing than I'm actually confident doing. Besides, the designs seem decidedly retro Pulp, so aren't quite the style I was thinking of. I mean, sure, there's probably retro-Pulp clubs out there, and there'll probably retro-Pulp clubs in a Shadowrun future, but I was thinking of something more modern cliche :poke:

• 2 weeks later...

Knights of Dice have some stuff that would probably be suitable, but they're based out of Australia. The Sentry City (Old Town and Chinatown) range would be your best bet if they do have something suitable.

It does look like they have a couple of stockists in continental Europe so you may be able to avoid international shipping