Non Subscription Based Individual Model Prices

So you just started 3d Printing and found some Patrons but notice they have a backlog of miniatures at MMF or Gumroad or through their own site.

For a human sized model, what would you be willing to pay?

Now mind you, as you're searching, you find from various other sculptors other models that would fit the bill. Quality on several is top notch but you may still have a preference.

Let's say models range from $3-$12.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

So... is it 'really' $3 to $5 to is it $1.5 to $2.5?

I'm willing to pay about $3 for a human sized mini, $5 if it's a very cool sculpt.

I think for an STL file that's enough.

Some companies are raising their prices, so I'll wait for sales and get it then.

• Like 1

There's so much good, free stuff available now, and I've bought about all the STLs I'll ever need.  Like @Glitterwolf I'd pay $3-6 for a single STL file of something really fun or cool. Maybe.  I'm really hesitant to pay much more for a FILE that still has to be printed using my own machine, resin or PLA, taking time out of the day for set up and clean up, etc.    I might pay $6-12 for a well printed physical model --- comparable to buying a metal or Bones figure. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

There's so much good, free stuff available now, and I've bought about all the STLs I'll ever need.  Like @Glitterwolf I'd pay $3-6 for a single STL file of something really fun or cool. Maybe.  I'm really hesitant to pay much more for a FILE that still has to be printed using my own machine, resin or PLA, taking time out of the day for set up and clean up, etc.    I might pay $6-12 for a well printed physical model --- comparable to buying a metal or Bones figure. 

With patreons providing whole sets for a few euros/dollars I rather go that road. Then use their discount. And...if you look for it there are a lot of free files to be found.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

With patreons providing whole sets for a few euros/dollars I rather go that road. Then use their discount. And...if you look for it there are a lot of free files to be found.

There are Patreons were some of the larger minis go for more than the whole danged Patreon they were in. Sometimes multiples thereof.

image.png.8d2bf4a098c5fdaac2b384514b6c2d04.png

Mind, you, that is a freaking ship.... *EDIT* $30 - Archvillain is $10 a month, $13 with a 5e adventure using the models.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There are Patreons were some of the larger minis go for more than the whole danged Patreon they were in. Sometimes multiples thereof.

image.png.8d2bf4a098c5fdaac2b384514b6c2d04.png

Mind, you, that is a freaking ship.... *EDIT* $30 - Archvillain is $10 a month, $13 with a 5e adventure using the models.

The Auld Grump

Heroes Infinite has a Patreon ranging from $10 to $14 depending on the Tier,

Their Monthly sets are about $99 on MMF, a single mini can be as much as the lower Tier.

Yes Patreon pays off, and sometimes you even get a freebie from a cross promo or loyalty thing.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Heroes Infinite has a Patreon ranging from $10 to $14 depending on the Tier,

Their Monthly sets are about $99 on MMF, a single mini can be as much as the lower Tier.

Yes Patreon pays off, and sometimes you even get a freebie from a cross promo or loyalty thing.

Sometimes the price difference is kind of offensive.

I mean, yeah, there's an excuse with that Mindflayer Nautiloid Spelljamer ship, but $99 for the HI bundles is more than pushing it.

Even with the member discount.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Sometimes the price difference is kind of offensive.

I mean, yeah, there's an excuse with that Mindflayer Nautiloid Spelljamer ship, but $99 for the HI bundles is more than pushing it.

Even with the member discount.

HI is like, if you want just one mini from a month, take the patreon or it's too expensive. Their sets are awesome though.

I have a lot of files already and every time I think, I should quit, I have enough..but then I see new stuff and think..oh it's just a little money and souch shiny new goodness....

I'M DOOMED😁

I have seen that Titan Forge also is going the USD 100 route for a post-patreon montly set, where the patreon still charges USD 10 for a month.

I might speculate that the sets simply do not sell in any significant numbers at USD 30, 40 or 50 outside of the patreon, so they have chosen to up the price both to increase percieved value of the patreon, and to actually get the USD 50 price when there is a 50%-off sale, since very many customers seem to hold off for a sale once they have decided to buy a mini or a set.

This way they increase the FOMO for the whales that maybe would otherwise quit the monthly subscription, and also increase their actual revenue on sales.

After all, USD 100 is not really all that unreasonable when considering the individual prices of the minis in such a set.

At least I believe this could be the long term reasoning behind the price hike.

• Like 2

For Christie's (rainbow sculptor) we charge $4.00 USD for a single STL.   Bundles of are discounted.   You can get free models.   But I'd also say to some degree you're going to get what you pay for.   When Christie sculpts something, it goes through several iterations until the print comes out right, just like when she sculpts for reaper.   It has to be durable, look good, have good composition, and good quality pre done supports.   

You can literally get thousands of STL's for models done that will look good on the screen, but amateur on the table top.  There are not very many FREE models that are going to compete with models curated by companies like Reaper.   And that sword that looks sooooo cooool isn't going to print.   The ones that do, are going to break while you're trying to paint them.   

I have no problem paying $4.00 for a model that is from a trusted artist.   If I'm going to spend an afternoon painting a model or three, I'd WAAAY rather paint models I paid a few dollars for.  Provided it gives me a piece that both looks good, and won't break easily.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, emmagine said:

For Christie's (rainbow sculptor) we charge $4.00 USD for a single STL.   Bundles of are discounted.   You can get free models.   But I'd also say to some degree you're going to get what you pay for.   When Christie sculpts something, it goes through several iterations until the print comes out right, just like when she sculpts for reaper.   It has to be durable, look good, have good composition, and good quality pre done supports.   

You can literally get thousands of STL's for models done that will look good on the screen, but amateur on the table top.  There are not very many FREE models that are going to compete with models curated by companies like Reaper.   And that sword that looks sooooo cooool isn't going to print.   The ones that do, are going to break while you're trying to paint them.   

I have no problem paying $4.00 for a model that is from a trusted artist.   If I'm going to spend an afternoon painting a model or three, I'd WAAAY rather paint models I paid a few dollars for.  Provided it gives me a piece that both looks good, and won't break easily.

One of the Patreons that does provide free files that print very well is Gloomykid.

I've printed quite a few of his free designs and they work like a charm.

Some examples:

I placed the supports myself all printed without a hassle.

He also sells  a lot and gives these for free.

I can recommend gloomykid.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91891-vampire-lord-in-bat-form-by-glitterwolf/&tab=comments#comment-1949023

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91365-elvira-mistress-of-the-dark-by-glitterwolf/&tab=comments#comment-1938625

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/95908-inix-by-glitterwolf/

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91930-benkai-oni-by-glitterwolf/

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91729-merfolk-warrior-by-glitterwolf/

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, emmagine said:

You can literally get thousands of STL's for models done that will look good on the screen, but amateur on the table top.  There are not very many FREE models that are going to compete with models curated by companies like Reaper. 

It didn't take me long after buying my first printer to figure out that over half the models on Thingiverse don't print very well, if at all. Can't even get some of them to slice.

As a result, I'm picky enough that I won't even bother downloading an STL unless there pictures of an actual print (for free models) or a way to get my money back from the creator for paid ones.  I've had a few paid models I'm not all that thrilled with, but never so bad that I wanted my money back, probably because I look for and stick with creators who have good reputations for designing stuff that's printable.  In my early days, I had a couple of free ones that I wish I could have charged the creator for my time & effort. 

I track my all my associated printer costs, so I always add my average price per print to the cost of the STL, divided by how many I feel I'm going to print, then compare that to the cost of a similar plastic or metal model. If it's less, then I'm fine with the price. If it's something unique that I feel I "need", then I might go a little higher. Generally that means about $4 for a single human sized STL, but I've gone more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2