Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures Treant (pic heavy)

I decided to do the big treant today to have something that I could do quickly.

Here's today in a few pics. They got a bit out of order.

Green beard, orange mushrooms, black + browning shadows, brown + light brown in highlights.  not sure what more I'll do. May not get to paint until the weekend.

20210509_205150.jpg

20210509_205219.jpg

20210509_205247.jpg

20210509_205324.jpg

20210509_205400.jpg

20210509_204918.jpg

20210509_204837.jpg

20210509_204808.jpg

20210509_204729.jpg

20210509_204636.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 13
  • lexomatic changed the title to Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures Treant (pic heavy)
Posted (edited)

Raw umber ink+ medium on the wood and ground and sap green ink + phtalo green ink+ medium 1:1:4 on the beard  

And brown liner on face and around stones and mushrooms, and  linen white reflection in eye seems to have made eveything pop.

20210511_203000.jpg

20210511_203036.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 7

This will probably be my last post until a show off

I'll do what I did with terrain -give it hairspray after some drying. Maybe a few coats - then another spritz of glue to really sink in. Then I might give it another seal of matte medium depending what it looks like.

20210520_220409.jpg

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By strawhat
      I started Rimeblast a couple weeks ago.  She's the first thing I've painted in some time.  It won't be anything special (I've got to learn how to up my game one of these days), but it's a start.

This won't be a real in-depth thread, just the "end of the night" update after a painting session.

Well, that was where I started.  I knew that the "white" dragon wouldn't be white.  It's not the way things are in the world where Rimeblast dwells.  But, this is the Ocean Colors triad (specifically Deep Ocean), which isn't just blue enough.  

So, after a couple weeks of unhappy-back-of-the-mind pondering I pull out the paints again.  This is where I am now.

This is better.  This is Sky Blue with little bits of Deep Ocean peaking through.  I'm "OK" with that.  It gives some variation so she's not (quite) all the same shade.  I'm thinking I'm going to take a heavy drybrush of Frosty Blue, and then a lighter drybrush of Ghost White, or even Sparkling Snow, to finish the scales. 

The scutes (belly scales) have received a coat of Foggy Grey which is, I've discovered, very close to the shade of Vallejo grey primer already on it.  I'll likely be using Pure White and Sparkling Snow to finish those up--assuming I don't go back and redo them in Rainy Grey.  I'm afraid the countershading will be a little too "bright" if I leave them at "Foggy."

I'm still not sure where I'm going to take the spinal ridge, crest, and wings.  The bones/supports in the wings bug me a bit.  I keep thinking that there should only be three or four support "fingers" (like a bat), and there a lot more there.  Pardon me while I over-analyze fantasy creature morphology.  

Thanks for dropping by!

• By lexomatic
      This is a storage box/ terrain house I'm building for my kid's High Rollers set (which was found today and played with all without the knowledge it was a gift).
      Will have removable roof maybe with shingles. Currently  just have walls and door. The extra cardboard from the door will disappear.

• By Grumpy Gnome
      After winning a Wizkids Half-Orc Paladin as part of a larger eBay auction I decided to convert it into something else. The scale of the head seemed too small so I replaced that. And the sword did not look quite right so I replaced that. Then whilst painting I got the idea to give it that Brotherhood of Steel rusty red look and suddenly I saw a Medieval Fantasy version of Paladin Danse from Fallout 4. 

However, I am not sure others will see the same resemblance I do.

• By lexomatic
      I decided to do the Mystic Circle so I could do all kinds of occult and folk horror scenarios.
      Currently "cooking" in the utility sink. The base parts were pretty warped. I may glue them to some foamcore for a little extra stability, but mostly traced, because I need to keep them " modular" for storage (the arches, I think they still qualify as dolmens, but I forget, will get pulled on and off. Unless it really doesn't work ).

This will likely be an all June project, because I had an unexpected computer death and porch reno and need to deal with that.
    • By Rigel
      A sequel of sorts to this story here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90309-ashana-female-genie-44012-or-the-reversal-of-fortune/ 

...But while Ahmad rose in prominence through his wealth and his wisdom in buying and selling, and gained favor with the people through his generosity in alms, Zayafid the sorceror-prince in his perfumed garden became envious of his elevated status.

"Is it not proper that I, who have worked hard all my life and studied abstruse arts lost since the time of Sulimein, should be exalted above this beggar, who got all he has from luck? And is it not proper that, having tasted and drank of greatness, Ahmad be returned to his former station?"

"Therefore, let us draw the Circles of Greater Power to adjure and contain a spirit of calamity to bring about his undoing!" 
      And taking ink and engraving tool, and burning certain rare herbs and flowers, chanting the while songs the Most High forbade to men (save for Sulimein-bin-Daoud) he did so.

At once a great and sulfurous Efreet, monstrous of aspect, with brass fingernails and toenails, appeared bearing a great sword like the night sky. 

Immediately it flung itself at Zayafid and would have torn him to pieces, but his sorceries were strong to constrain it. And after threatening it with divers torments and miseries (for Zayafid was very learned in the lore of the djinni and efreeti) if it would not obey him, Zayafid bent the spirit to his will. 

And forthwith, it summoned Ahmad and his wives with supernatural speed. "Woe and thrice woe upon thee, O Ahmad! for your enemies have brought against you the very east wind of calamity! Now art thou surely brocced!"

And so saying, it stripped Ahmad of his wealth and beard, and returned his wives to their countries of origin, and, parting space and distance with his blade (for that power was given to him) transported Ahmad himself into the deepest part of the sea. 

And Zayafid dismissed the efreet, and laughed and laughed to himself even as the fountains in his perfumed garden gurgled and trickled. 

But despair not, traveler! for the Compassionate One sees what is done in secret, and is no friend to evil men, but rather to those who revere Him. And in His mercy he sent--but, that is another tale.

Zayafid, 60154, is a fine sculpt--dignified and haughty. I painted him many years ago, which might be obvious. The efreeti was recent, though, and I got to play with colorshift paints for his Void Blade. 

• Who's Online   15 Members, 4 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)