03654 Esmeria, half-elf monk - sculpt/paint D. Schubert

dks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, dks said:

(I had this arrow-shattering action in my mind when I sculpted her.  But, you ask, if she dodged and the arrow misses anyway, why does she need to break the arrow?  I guess she's showing off.)

She is ensuring that any party member standing near her is not hit !

Did you ever see the episode of Kung Fu (David Carradine) where Caine is riding with someone on a wagon and three Comanche draw bows and fire at them? Caine swiped his (left, I think?) hand swiftly at the air, and those three arrows wound up plucked out of the air, each arrow gripped between a different pair of fingers, of the same hand??

This reminds me of that. 

(The Comanches looked at each other, didn’t say a word, but they all thought, “...good thing we have horses...” “...sorry we bothered you...” then they made like trees and decided to leave.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Outstanding, I love the arrows idea. It's simple additional element that creates a fantastic storytelling scene. I like the way she's looking sideways, already anticipating the next shaft. The paint is absolutely beautiful.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, dks said:

(I had this arrow-shattering action in my mind when I sculpted her.  But, you ask, if she dodged and the arrow misses anyway, why does she need to break the arrow?  I guess she's showing off.)

One does not need to ponder such questions. It was cool enough to have Leroy Green do it in the opening scene of Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon, therefore it needs no further explanation.

I love this piece. I often wonder if Derek's paintbrush is like Thor's hammer: does whoever wield it possess the power of @dks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, dks said:

Rule of cool always wins.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

@TGP : Ah yes, protecting a fellow party member, perfect.  I didn't see that episode, but that's a great reference! 

@Metalchaos : Even though she should probably be "keeping her eye on the ball [arrow]" (like they taught us in batting practice), yes, she's just that good and she's already looking for the next one.

@ManvsMini : The Last Dragon -- nice!  Good question about the brush.  We may have to test it at ReaperCon.  Sadly for everyone else, it might be like a spear in the hands of an ice devil: "This effect comes from the devil in the case of its weapon; it is not a quality possessed by the spear itself." ;^)

@Glitterwolf and @Rigel and @Loim : Thanks!

@Chaoswolf : Rule of cool indeed!

@Iridil : Thanks!  Speaking of the desert colors...  More backstory!

The character started out Lawful Neutral, devout in her monastic order and obsessed with repelling the threats to her desert home.  She wore her order's dark uniform with cornrow-braided hair.  (This aesthetic was my invention.  I don't think there's any Greyhawk canon about it.)

Over the course of the Bright Desert campaign-arc, she embraced a different outlook and became Lawful Good.  At the end of the series, she left her old order and chose these colors.  She even cut off the braids and wore a short spiky hairstyle. 

When I was sculpting her, I thought the cornrows would make a more distinctive figure.  But I wanted to paint the lighter colors.

To see how the dark color palette might look, I did this in Photoshop:

03654_Esmeria_dks_LightAndDarkOutfitStudy-500h.jpg.c92908dcc1906ebe9a373c25f72e2061.jpg

So there's a "what might have been".

Derek

• Like 10