I recently acquired the latest of Games Workshops Warhammer Quest games:- The Cursed City.

I'd actually like to completely paint one of these things for once, and thought a project thread might help!

First, I built everything (Well, maybe everything. Games Workshop continues to be kinda weird about this game, so I'm not sure if it's getting expansions or not):-

L5QM82g.jpg

And then made a spreadsheet. I can't batch paint, so even simple minis (like the rats and skeletons) I've put in small groups to help maintain momentum.

I rolled a 5 (actually I rolled a 30 and then a 32, but I know this project is doomed if I start with a rat pile instead of something interesting):- Brutogg Corpse-Eater, unusual Ogre:-

nVKtXYd.jpg

I've made him a simple base (I've been spoilt by all the integral ones I've been dealing with lately), mostly sand with some broken flagstone patches made of putty, and gave him the usual White Primer and Brown Wash undercoat.

Leaving him to dry overnight.

• Like 14

Thanks guys!

5 hours ago, Spazzmolytic said:

Are you using the Citadel primer or something else? It looks really smooth, like it a lot! 

It's Vallejo Primer, brushed on.

yK2GRtV.jpg

Tried something different with his skin (Eating the Undead can't be healthy).

Added a drop of Cold Grey to my usual Dwarf Flesh > Flesh Wash > Light Flesh scheme, worked better than I thought it would.

Also added some Blue Violet to the final skin highlight to paint some arm veins, and gave him Iraqi Sand teeth.

• Like 9

RU5dL8L.jpg

Painted the steel bits.

The chainmail is basecoated in Gunmetal Blue, the rest Gunmetal Grey (not sure this actually makes a difference in the end), then it was Oily Steel > Black Wash > Oily Steel drybrush.

Going to paint his fancy plated coat next.

• Like 8

Finally got a bit more done:-

QnC7ZnF.jpg

Painted the coat in Scarlett Red/Leather Brown with Bronze plates.

I also did the edges of his helmet and spikes on his punch-dagger Bronze, and I found a bit of chain-mail I missed.

saOkyPd.jpg

Then I painted his fancy shoulder-pad (Brassy Brass > Brown Wash > Brassy Brass > Brassy Brass/Polished Gold) with horn (Iraqi Sand > Iraqi Sand/Off-white > Off-white > Brown Wash).

Going to do the fur bits next. 

• Like 11
On 5/21/2021 at 8:05 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Looks good so far, I like the semi-Roman style helmet.

Thanks! That seems to be an Ogre thing, my other one has one too.

UKPkWJI.jpg

Painted the furry bits (Ochre Yellow > Iraqi Sand > Sepia Wash), also painted his rope necklace (Cork Brown) with Bronze pendant and Ghost Grey bottle.

Straps next.

• Like 10

IN5MlSo.jpgtEMTu4T.jpg

Did the straps.

One lot is Leather Brown with Bronze bits, the other is Red Leather with Brassy Brass bits.

Now I'm painting up his equipment with whatever I've put on the palette for other minis, so far I've got a Steel Grey pouch, Sick Green and Brassy Brass scabbard and Olive Green bag.

• Like 11

Thanks guys!

LD0UeLf.jpg

Got the rest of his equipment done.

There's a Cork Brown rune stone on Bonewhite string, a Night Blue and Oily Steel dagger and a Bonewhite jug with wobbly Night Blue/Bonewhite lines painted on it.

• Like 7

OnMfNYk.jpg

He got Leather Brown boots, with Leather Brown/Pure Black soles.

Xx58EpD.jpg

And then (before I remembered to post an update) he got trousers (Magic Blue > Black Wash > Magic Blue/Sky Blue).

Annoyingly, because I've already attached him to his base, I can't get the brush in to paint the inner sides of his trouser legs. I managed to reach enough so you can't see the unpainted parts without turning him upside down, but I know it's there and it's bugging the heck out of me.

Just the base to do.

• Like 6