Adventures In A Cursed City

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolled a 25, Spear Down Skeletons:-

EdkDrFp.jpg

(Got several bony dudes to paint, so need to precisely record the paint scheme).

The scale-mail and shield is a base of Leather Brown, then Bronze, then a Brown Wash, then Verdigris (thinned 1:4 with water) and then a Bronze drybrush.

The rusty spearheads are also a base of Leather Brown, then a wash of Dry Rust, then a drybrush of Orange Fire.

Finally, they got a matt varnish to keep them dull.

• Like 13

On 6/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Always nice to see more Undead!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Samedi said:

Your bronze came out great! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Thanks! You've got to remember to use Vallejos Game Effects Verdigris and not their Model Colour version, it's super gloopy!

JxsIDpw.jpg

Steel bits now (1:1 Oily Steel/Pure Black > Oily Steel > Black Wash > Oily Steel highlights > Brown Wash).

Plus more Matt Varnish. 

• Like 10

axAUFfD.jpg

Got the rest painted up today.

Bones= 1:1 Iraqi Sand/Bonewhite > Brown Wash > Bonewhite.

Spear handles = 1:1 Leather Brown/Medium Olive > Brown Wash.

Straps = 2:1 Red Leather/Medium Olive > 1:2:1 Ochre Yellow/Red Leather/Medium Olive > Brown Wash.

Just gotta do the bases and then on to the next guy.

• Like 8

On 5/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, aku-chan said:

Annoyingly, because I've already attached him to his base, I can't get the brush in to paint the inner sides of his trouser legs. I managed to reach enough so you can't see the unpainted parts without turning him upside down, but I know it's there and it's bugging the heck out of me.

A bit late in this thread but I find this brush from Princeton helps me to reach hard places like that.

image.png.2414647ba9ee14777c2a08cbe2fe682d.png

• Like 8

On 6/15/2021 at 8:02 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Purple is always a good colour for the undead. Love it.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

A bit late in this thread but I find this brush from Princeton helps me to reach hard places like that.

image.png.2414647ba9ee14777c2a08cbe2fe682d.png

A bendy brush! I will have to see if I can find one.

Finished my skeletons, no piccys yet though as everything is packed away at the moment (We've got builders in for a few days).

Also rolled for the next mini, fate was determined I paint another skeleton (I rolled the Guard Captain, the Guard Sargent and even the Hanged Men AKA Dangly Skeletons) but wasn't in the mood. Finally I rolled a 1, Jelsen Darrock - Grizzled Vampire Hunter, who I will start next week when everything settles down.

• Like 5

Builders finished early (Yay!), so everything is unpacked and I can take piccys of skeletons:-

tWE8LlW.jpgyxJlIiN.jpg

If/when I get the whole squad painted up they should look rather nifty.

And here's Jelsen:-

eWXni5J.jpg

There's a face somewhere in between that hat and upturned collar, should be "fun" to paint.

• Like 12

Those are beautiful mate!  I can't imagine painting with a bent brush, you would have to completely re-train your brain.  

Only critique I would give (and you are probably going to do it already), would be to dirty the purple up a bit towards to ends or where they are frayed.  Don't get me wrong, they are definitely beautiful as is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mousekiller said:

Those are beautiful mate!  I can't imagine painting with a bent brush, you would have to completely re-train your brain.  

Only critique I would give (and you are probably going to do it already), would be to dirty the purple up a bit towards to ends or where they are frayed.  Don't get me wrong, they are definitely beautiful as is!

Thanks!

I wasn't planning on doing anything more with my skellies, I tend not to weather my minis (I always worry I'm going to make a mess and ruin them). How would I dirty them up, just drybrush a bit of brown on the edges of their capes?

• Like 1

I would not dry brush them, instead to a thin glaze so you can work the color in and it will almost blend in with the purple.  Just build it up in a few layers, allowing it to get darker the closer to the edges of the cloth you get.  Then go back and do a very small highlight on the edges with a little white mixed in to your base color.

BUT... as I said before mate, they are beautiful as is and if you like them just let them be!

Edited by mousekiller
  • Like 2

With Games Workshop having sorted out whatever issues they were having with this, my enthusiasm has returned!

I'm determined to get at least a few more painted up before the expansions start coming out.

VvPmrvA.jpg2FFjppl.jpg

Starting where I left off with Jelsen the Vampire Hunter.

Tried my best with his hard to reach face, there's Dwarf Flesh for the skin, Leather Brown for his eyepatch and Cold Grey for his hair, this then all got a Flesh Wash and a Brown Wash to try and add a bit of contrast.

Had better luck with his coat and hat. They started with a base of Scarlett Red (With Scarlett Red/Pure Black on the undersides), then given an all over Black Wash, then a layer of Scarlett Red and Scarlett Red/Orange Fire, before a final coat of Red Wash.

Gotta finish his hat, then I'm not sure what bit to tackle next.

• Like 9