Earth Landwyrm : Marthrangul

So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017  I thought he would look really cool without wings.  but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him,  I just don't think I'm ready.  In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."

So this is better.  

This Dragon will be the colors or earth.   Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly. 

perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows.   The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas. 

So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.

it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner.  He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take. 

but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint... 

this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am.   I kept waking up with new color ideas. 

Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.  

The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this. 

bare.jpg

sculpting1.jpg

931769740_brownliner.jpg.8a3da60b60099d13df92143ea10f808f.jpg

burnt umber.jpg

eye.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 19

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays progress: 

added colors to some scales 

the highlight stripe looks good at a distance - but poor close up,  

guess ill blend edges down,  but I cant quite see how in my head.  I'll sleep on it.  

instead of trying to adjust it, I started belly scales. 

(the other side is just brown so far) 

belly begins.jpg

tail stripes.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Rigel said:

I like the cobblestone scales effect! Seems appropriate for an earth dragon.

that's pretty much what im going for. 

I decided that the overall look of the dragon was too black so I added a lot of palamino gold  - actually I spilled a big puddle on my wet pallet, so went with a use it or lose it strategy. 

then he looked too gold, so I tried some burnt umber glazes and reconsidered the colors on his legs and feet - experimenting with more browns.  

A lot of dragons are like this slowly merging the picture I had in my head with what looks better on the minis - I just kind of feel my way through the paint job.  

gold face.jpg

• Like 14

Saturday & Sunday i was mostly painting the other side,  so the pictures look very similar. 

I dont want anyone to think my obsession has loosened its grasp,  I am still painting an hour a day minimum on this one, and he is getting closer to being finished. 

I really need to spray seal him so I can work on his feet, without accidently rubbing off the paint from other places. 

Or I could finish the work on his belly and glue him to something else I could use to hold him. 

that might work better as I have had bad experiences with spray sealing in high humidity and rain will continue/threaten till Wednesday here.

• Like 3

leaps and bonds ahead:  its been 4 hours since the previous post, mostly spent painting. 

a good deal spent on the horns and feet.

I need to start a punch list so I dont miss any details in my enthusiasm: 

1, eyes 

2. scales under tail 

3. rocks underfoot 

4. fix the highlight line 

5. fix tail  spike 

6. transition color lines on feet 

finished horns.jpg

other side.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 11

Show Off 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/95687-desert-landwyrm-marthrangul/&tab=comments#comment-2014575

I finally looked up the Landwyrm  in the 3.5 Draconinomicon - my fav book on dragons, and it actually fits the Desert Dragon description perfectly. 

I think they first appeared in an old dragon magazine - I am pretty sure I have it somewhere 

• Like 2