The parson from this four-figure set showed up in my recent post on the Salem Sisters. Let's ratchet several notches up the social scale for the other three. First, some Ladies at Court:

DSCN9406.thumb.JPG.734f3da7b303ebc75d1518bff9645ff2.JPG

Or courtiers, or courtesans, it's not easy to draw the line in King Charles II's time.  Lots of flounces and furbelows, lots of gossip. 

"Of course the Barsteads have wealth piled upon wealthIt is said that the family were blaggards and privateers who got rich off of Spanish gold in Queen Bess's time"
"Well, *I* heard that the Barstead fortune came from a devil's bargain! The coffers will never run empty as long as the Good Folk take the firstborn to pay the tithe to Hell!"

DSCN9407.thumb.JPG.e3b0a30d62d9a01710e2b1105bf8c8d7.JPG

"Hm! The way the family carries on, it seems Old Scratch got the worse end of the deal, paying up for what would rightfully come his way in due time with no effort on his part."

DSCN9408.thumb.JPG.ef4f412ffca663862f1a67b7e75aa0ce.JPG

DSCN9409.thumb.JPG.2b963fbd9ca38b92ea429d882326c7ed.JPG

And here is Lord Barstead himself. Rouged cheeks and mad eyes, definitely drunk and dissolute. The sort of person who would horsewhip the servants and call people "cack-handed slatterns." The kind who will squander the family inheritance on cards and drink. Maybe enclose the Commons later, on a whim, or start a tobacco plantation in the New World, or just sentence a peasant to hang for poaching. 

"...Very old family, the Barsteads. In the War of the Roses Sir Ranulf Barstead invented the Barstead sword. Why, back in the Conqueror's day half the nobility in this part of the realm were Barsteads. Demned upstart vagabonds these days, jumped-up weavers and tradesmen get a little money and start thinking of themselves as Peers? Why, it makes a Barstead's blood boil!"

DSCN9405.thumb.JPG.dd1c5e590be75e76e118b6ead833815e.JPG

"You DARE? Insolent whelp, I'll see you dead and damned at dawn! Pistols, or swords?"

DSCN9401.thumb.JPG.3f686c6c741718ff8f4ecf8a7922aaa9.JPG

DSCN9403.thumb.JPG.a33ad37577715e120083a1b49ad12ec6.JPG 

DSCN9404.thumb.JPG.b0f68a59e7e4b78a17706b60ebc4dda2.JPG

DSCN9410.thumb.JPG.fc33ad82c64b7dd6bddb87b059f14b50.JPG

DSCN9402.JPG

• Like 21
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great setting - love the ladies bright colors and makeup, but Lord Barstead is stealing the show with they way you painted his face - indignant, insolent, dissolute...

• Thanks 1

Love the setting and story.

Good work!

I can see that the ladies despite their gossip won't mind the attention of this rich handsome man. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all and sorry about the delayed response! 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:05 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Good work on some not so good 'nobles'.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:07 AM, 72moonglum said:

Very cool, nice bright colors!

Thanks! I had originally intended to include a Bombshell dodo in the shot, as an homage to a delightful Howard Waldrop short story, "The Ugly Chickens." 1672 is pushing the known record a bit, but not by too awful much...

On 5/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Love the setting and story.

Good work!

I can see that the ladies despite their gossip won't mind the attention of this rich handsome man. 

It is often the way with ladies of the court. Thank you!

On 5/13/2021 at 10:14 AM, Iridil said:

Another great setting - love the ladies bright colors and makeup, but Lord Barstead is stealing the show with they way you painted his face - indignant, insolent, dissolute...

Many thanks--he's just awful and I love it!

• Like 4