BEASTMEN of the Wyld! (02900, with guest appearances by Sora Goldflame and Vistaril Quillscratch)

D. Williams did a spectacular job on these three. I was genuinely surprised by the sheer heft of the set--even at the price you are getting a lot of mini for your money! The Stag Knight and the Boar Brute are big fellows. 

But don't take my word for it; let's see pics!
DSCN9432.thumb.JPG.3619c7fcbed488d76cfd07c5044fa914.JPG

DSCN9454.thumb.JPG.30cd0dc1e382b492f7f7c7393cbce2ec.JPG

DSCN9435.thumb.JPG.9bb578b0019bff89c0e9ed3ce912ee6a.JPG

This is the sort of thing that happens when you cross The Fey: you get transmogrified into a half-man, half-beast cursed to wander the woods. At least this gentleman pulls it off with dignity and grace. (And he IS a gentleman: got a coat of arms and everything on the shield!)

More pictures: 

Spoiler

DSCN9433.thumb.JPG.61e4da94ce9a6b8ad0ad345b7e454c8e.JPG

DSCN9453.thumb.JPG.4c833bdfb57e8927de3b037b8499e7a8.JPG

DSCN9451.thumb.JPG.5d730a78a145d2462b141debe5aa8e76.JPG

Big, like I said: here's a comparison with Sora Goldflame, Female Cleric, 03283. A moment of praise for Jeff Grace's sculpt here: she is gorgeous and dynamic, an heroic pose and beautifully detailed armor and shield. Fantastic for a light cleric or a paladin. (Ignore the "medic" armband; I had difficulty keeping her dainty arm glued on and this was a workaround). 
DSCN9436.thumb.JPG.a37b4f0db05c91aa48f810eb3847123c.JPG

It's appropriate that Sora's pose is 'punching up.'

DSCN9456.thumb.JPG.c527fb52fb5729050d9abf735c49870e.JPG

Next up, the brutish hog-man! Again, just a hefty chunk of metal. The other giant boar is from Black Tree; came with a mounted orc as a separate piece. I love the man-hog's giant mace and the combination of tattered clothes and fancy adornment. DSCN9439.thumb.JPG.a96be64eee84edbed8f565d2286871be.JPG

DSCN9458.thumb.JPG.5a9337af050546d30fee26548e8b62e1.JPG

DSCN9461.thumb.JPG.c77f83cb88da7009b71c798072e09fa0.JPG

Spoiler

DSCN9441.thumb.JPG.24ef3ac0daec3c80c9923dcfad81ad0d.JPG

^This one is the same angle as another, but a crisper shot of the boar buddy and less good a shot of the beastman.

DSCN9442.thumb.JPG.95db13b711edd1702e1d962a17308371.JPG

And here is a size comparison with Vistaril Quillscratch, Wizard (03393). Tre Manor did a great job with this sculpt. Scrawny arms in abjurative gestures, beaky nose, long beard. Classic wizard. I painted him as more of a druid-type.  Again, you can see that Mister Hog is simply massive. 

DSCN9463.thumb.JPG.6d1579f25d26b5c0e1f7471d2dba674f.JPG

Another shot with a female cleric (she was a Reaper freebie I remember...I think one of the Anniversary series, but I can't find her on the site). The beast-man is intrigued by this "word sandwich."
DSCN9443.thumb.JPG.6093f30a9e86ce1ea5df8fdf98d525c0.JPG

Thirdly, the foxy werefox archer. Smallest of the three (meaning regular humanoid scale) and also with the fewest humanoid features--or at least the most torso fur. If memory serves, she also shows up in the Lady Lycanthropes pack. A finely detailed sculpt. In hindsight I probably should have put some white patterning on the blue cloth; maybe later.

DSCN9464.thumb.JPG.bb16634aadd4c567549c7cb347d5b7be.JPG

DSCN9448.thumb.JPG.e2821dac8c83b5bff0aee0fbe989eb48.JPG

DSCN9465.thumb.JPG.85daebaa0f0d071c0f09f14429ac3564.JPG

More angles:

Spoiler

DSCN9445.thumb.JPG.6db563b0abb4a6409a7f2b19e62afd2e.JPGDSCN9447.thumb.JPG.dc5691c8fada9f1ce9606e532f60f8d9.JPG

Again, scale comparison:

DSCN9450.thumb.JPG.a8d3807af44801da42fd4256363c0789.JPG

DSCN9468.thumb.JPG.298d315bc3da21657b6847bc11976de9.JPG

Thank you for viewing, and remember: DON'T CROSS THE FAE! 

More beast people forthcoming!

• Like 20
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful group - the stag man is my favorite, such a wonderful sculpt and you nice blend and join for furs vs skin. I like Hog man and foxwman too - a great trio. Hog man does remind me somehow of Mr. T though.... (the sculpt not the painting)

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all! 

On 5/17/2021 at 1:55 PM, Iridil said:

Wonderful group - the stag man is my favorite, such a wonderful sculpt and you nice blend and join for furs vs skin. I like Hog man and foxwman too - a great trio. Hog man does remind me somehow of Mr. T though.... (the sculpt not the painting)

I appreciate it! With regard to the stag, we can't have all our transmogrified princes be white dudes! As to Hog man, I agree. It's partly the gold chains, and definitely the way he pities the fool who tries to step to him.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Wonderful set!

I especially love the foxy lady!

Value for money! and while I do want to give her clothing some more pizazz, I'm happy with the fox coloration and markings. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      Seemingly unrelated to each other, but I swear all these minis were drying from the sealer by 11:23pm on 12/31/2020.

Here are....Lidless Eye's Last Minis of 2020!

A Winter Wizard from Reaper Miniatures oh wait it's Santa, isn't it?

To back him up, some friendly Reindeer to back him up.

Wait, I'm being informed they're actually Grashrak's Despoilers from Warhammer: Underworlds

The last bit of their native habitat, a fallen tree (3D print from The Lost Adventures)

A creepy Scarecrow Puppet familiar from Reaper Miniatures.

Arik Axereaver, Barbarian, acquired as a bonus along with the Father Christmas.  His head seems to reflect everything in the lightbox.

And doing what we all should from the last year, the Fleeing Halfling from Warploque Miniatures.  He must know Johann.

• By DragonWyrm
      In a glen among the trees
      Lies a bush on the ground
      Its ferns ruffled by a light breeze
      And its roots spread through a mound

I will now hold court
      It will be short
      So let me be brief
      Who defaced my leaf?

The scribble and scratch of the old man’s pen
      Filled the small glen
      The court was in session
      It would not end before a confession

It was not I
      I saw it with mine own eye
      It was the one in the red hat
      That little gnat

The accused toyed with his beard
      Among mortals he was feared
      But even he would not dare
      That he could swear 

Two red caps waved through the air
      One of the wearers was a fibber 
      But which one of the pair
      For none yet gibber 

One of the things I learned when painting this set is that stippling works really well for frog (and amphibian) skin. Overall the were a joy to paint, thought I do wonder if 15mm dwarves and elves would not be a lot more cost effective if I ever want a lot of small folk.
    • By Maledrakh
      The "Minitaurs" from the Bones 4 core set, one of the earliest strech goals added to the set.
      I have no idea whether these represent something specific in D&D or not. They might be stunted minotaurs, swole beastdwarfs, goatmen, large implike demons or maybe something entirely different. Whatever the case may be, they are quite comic-looking in their art direction. Probably has something to do with their wide muscular torsos more than anything.

#68:

#69:

I do find it a bit strange that there are three of one type with cowlike shaped (but serrated like ibex) horns, and the fourth one which more than anything is a reindeer. Naturally, this one is called Rüdölf. With umlaut as he obviously is the most heavy metal one. Note the Hellraiser loincloth and birdskull nipple-ring,

#70:

This one has what seems to be a defect in his wrist:

Why is there a hole there? Is there a part missing or is this just a miscast? Does anybody else have this same armhole?

#71:

Got beef?

#68, #69, #70, #71 : The Minitaurs subset
      Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      unknown sculptor
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      30mm bases
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.
    • By WhiteWulfe
      Okay, I couldn't really resist the silly title that had a touch of alliteration...  Guess it's a thing for me or something.  Anyways, I figured I'd want to do up a long-term WIP thread featuring a themed army that has the goal of being made mostly of Reaper miniatures...  That and hey, I like gnolls and minotaurs, so... Why no!  Not quite certain what the precise theme is just yet, but we'll roll with "spots and stripes are awesome, as is a love for axes and mythology in general" as the starter of it all.  Initially, this army will be made mostly (if not all) with Bones figures, but eventually metal minis will find their way in.  Bones are rather convenient with their pricing, and there is a wide selection on offer!

It's also something to paint other than my various Games Workshop armies (Tau, Catachans, a scattered amount of Space Marines, a few Tyranids (for now), Skaven, as well as (fantasy) Orcs, although I have nowhere near as many greenskins), and my main focus is purely on fun, with fluff to come as things go.  That and I very much so plan on spending a good amount of time on each mini, not just for detail, but to improve my own skills in general.  One could potentially argue that I intend on making these guys more of my "showpieces", which is something I don't mind the thought of at all

I like how @Glitterwolf formats their posts, so...  I'm thiefing parts of it, as it's a nice formatting, and of course provides a reasonable amount of detail for it all, so why not

Pictures were taken with my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) because at the time I didn't quite feel like messing around with my G85 - or something to that effect ~_^

First and foremost, we have double trouble with a handsome hunk, I mean a minotaur who means business!  77012 Gnoll Warrior, 77013 Minotaur, and 77236 Bloodmane.  White bones doesn't quite look appropriate in my eyes as it's "naked", so let's fix that...

^Both gnolls now have primer on them...  And of course the couple of mold lines I missed are blatantly visible... Not that I mind, it's always nice to find them NOW other than a few hours into things...

I'm planning on going somewhat darker for their fur, hence why the medium-ish grey priming job.

Paint used:
      09108 Brush-on Primer
      09065 Grey Liner

Two parts primer, three parts grey liner, one drop of water to improve flow.

^Not to be outdone, our fearless minotaur jumps into the fray as well, although somewhat lighter than the gnolls.  Something about how a fox is thinking about going with a more "traditional" medium brown.  Would have used brown liner, but, uhm, don't have that, so grey liner it is.

Paint used:
      09108 Brush-on Primer
      09065 Grey Liner

Three parts primer, two parts grey liner, one drop of water to improve flow.

^And since I just had to have him on my last order, here we have most of what I'll call our first leader, or even general of it all, 77376 Minotaur Demon Lord, partially test-fit.  I ran out of time to get the mold lines on the other six parts, but I'll be working on that today.  Goal is to have him assembled today, and quite possibly primered as well.  I'm not quite certain as to precisely what colour I'll be going with on him, but for some reason an almost "aflame" reddish-coppery-orange with hints of brown in it come to mind.

• By Dead Bard Miniatures
      Hi all, after much lurking I've decided to post some of my minis  I technically posted once before but I just realized looking at the old post that it was over a year ago!
      I'm really going to have to pick up my painting rate given that another bones pledge is about to be delivered!  
      So I can definitely tell I like painting the bad guys better than the PC characters, probably due to spending too much time DMing. Anyway, here's some recent ones I painted. As always feedback is appreciated!

First a couple beastmen from the Warlord line:

How about a golem and some undead as tomb guardians? I diced up a skeleton into the base of the bone fiend too. You can kind of see the boot.

I have painted some character figures as well recently. Here's a few Elves with an Halfling. I need to work on my faces more though. Humanoid faces are so much flatter than monsters'. Anyone have any tips for varying humanoid flesh or adding details to faces that that sculp might not define well? Thanks! Much appreciated!

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)