Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sleeping aid: consumed

Night: fuzzy and warm

Cricket: still alive and hidden in the house 😩

Posting format: meh

After about a week you get used to the cricket sounds. Lizard likes live food so we have a tank full of crickets. Sometimes they are super loud. Sometimes not.

• Like 4
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

We had TACOS for dinner!! :bday:

Oh, wait....it's Wednesday. 

Meh, minor detail. 

Me too!

44 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You need 4 project submissions to be able to vote. Can comment whenever though just signing up. Almost certainly if you sign up, put whatever up you want, and vote - without even commenting, he will go to your work to harass you. Even if you personally say nothing. Just that one click that isn't gold will set him off. You don't even have to say mean things to him or point out flaws to make him mad. No I would never endorse someone testing this theory. Nope. Not a chance I'd suggest that's a good plan. It is an awful plan that might make another evidence point of his broccolifartery for the one overwhelmed admin to consider. I'm not laughing at the idea of triggering a fragile ego old man into fits, nope, not me.

On one hand, he needs his ego taken down a few more notches. On the other, doing so would, as you said, "prove" he was being picked on by a bunch of "meanies."  I'll probably pass, merely because it's more effort than I feel like expending. 

Went to my FLGS tonight and played my third game of Star Wars: Legions.  Totally got my butt kicked, largely because the dice betrayed me, but had a lot of fun. It was also the first time in my 30+ years of mini gaming that I fielded a large force that was 100% painted.  

• Like 6

Totally valid to not want to put in the effort. It isn't really worth the effort. But the "proof" would be on him, not the voter. A vote alone without commentary says nothing mean, and is entirely within the rules of the site. The site even states that they intended the votes to be positive - if you don't like something, don't click anything. A bronze is supposed to be a general mark of support and approval, even if the piece isn't perfect. He'll perceive it as slight (okay, and in this case it would be, but that part couldn't be proven). He'll be a broccolifart. He'll get in trouble with the admin for continued broccolifartery.

Ahh...

Back to manuscript writing. And I had food. I saw my officemates! They got food so I got food too. I'm dose-2'd 1 week in, they have dose 1, and aren't exactly party animals. On my list of approved-people while in the waiting stages. Was nice to have lab interactions again.

I had a few days two weeks ago where I got way into the research to the point that I forgot to eat effectively for three days. Had some snacks and forced myself to have *something* like 8pm each night... but not healthy. Mention this to my adviser, and he in jest goes "good, you got a lot done!". I went NO NO Don't encourage grad student anorexia!! But we are going to have in-person meetings soon, and if he derpishly encourages bad habits like not eating again, I'm going to throw a fake rock at him. I have a foam rock that'll be perfect. The group organizer and one officemate are aware that I am going to do this.

• Like 4

Feeling a bit better, now.

Instead of running my Regency Space game for the kids this week, we had an in game picnic for Megan's Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign.

I got to be a villain of the old school. A retired pirate.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Packing up the car for a picnic Pathfinder game.

The groceries for it were free. Trader Joe's had a computer crash while I was checking out and the manager just sent me on my merry way with $35 of groceries.

So I hit them again today, and bought drinks, as a way of saying thank you. ::):

Meeting Grump and the kids at the park.

For a moment I thought you wrote that you were packing up the cat. This makes for a much different Pathfinder game. :ph34r:

• Haha 8
11 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Ahh. And now he's whining on his own piece, calling on his followers. To "Gentlemen of the site". Good god. He thinks that I'm just there to pick on him. Seriously... I'm not. Well, I wasn't. Now honestly it is kinda funny watching him get his panties in a bunch over single votes. When he paints something worth a gold I'll give it to him.

I'll wait.

Oh yeah, not gunna happen since he already thinks he's the best. No one improves like that!

oh yes, I looked at that.  Bronze indeed, it's a bit blotchy, and the plinth is filthy, but oh no, can't let his hard work be downvoted like that. I've half a mind to comment, but I know how that half a mind gets, and it's a jerk, so I'll keep my lip. 

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

After about a week you get used to the cricket sounds. Lizard likes live food so we have a tank full of crickets. Sometimes they are super loud. Sometimes not.

A house centipede does wonders on crickets - and unlike the crickets, they leave when the job is done.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Oof, clearcoat clearly didn't stick on my Eevee Quick! build.  So it's going to get a scrubby soapy wash just to be certain, and then next time I don't think I'm going to thin down the clearcoat.  At first I thought it peeling off was because I didn't get enough layers on and the Gamsol ate through it...  Until I noticed a spot I hadn't touched ~AND~ hadn't put anything on had the same thing happening, so I wound up guessing it just didn't take properly.

Oh well, my little Quick build Eevee is now officially a fuzzbutt.

20210722_004121.thumb.jpg.207e3f050f996691021b850f47add1e6.jpg

Sucks that I lost the initial work I did on him with Oilbrushers, but I'll take it failing at the BEGINNING all of 10-15 minutes in as opposed to almost being done and then having it break off.  Why Oilbrushers?  Ochre is almost the same shade as the plastic, which I was going to use to fully conceal the seam lines, since I didn't whip up any sprue goo due to a lack of containers to mix it up in.  Sure, I could have used one of those metal dish thingies, but then you have to babysit it so it doesn't evaporate, whereas a jar you just put the lid on and walk away for 10-15 minutes.  Jar also makes mixing easier, because you just shake it!

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

A house centipede does wonders on crickets - and unlike the crickets, they leave when the job is done.

The Auld Grump

I am buying the loud crickets deliberately in boxes of 250 every two weeks. The fresh boxes of them are ehh.... an earful. Eventually it becomes a pleasant background sound. 

• Like 2

Thursday's history trivia for July 22nd:

• 1793 – Alexander Mackenzie reached the Pacific Ocean becoming the first recorded human to complete a transcontinental crossing of North America.

• 1933 – Aviator Wiley Post returned to Floyd Bennett Field in New York City, completing the first solo flight around the world in 7 days, 18 hours and 49 minutes.

• 1940 – Alex Trebek, Canadian-American game show host and producer, and in whose memory I do these posts, was born.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Marvin said:

Sleeping aid: consumed

Night: fuzzy and warm

Cricket: still alive and hidden in the house 😩

Posting format: meh

I like crickets. We had them coming up the basement drain at my house in Lethbridge. My roomies hated them, they would try and stab them when they were hiding in the baseboards with clothes hangers. I would hide them in my room and the girls would get so mad. They'd ask if I was harbouring crickets again, I'd say nope, and the cricket would chirp. We don't seem to have them up north here, and I miss them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2