Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I like crickets. We had them coming up the basement drain at my house in Lethbridge. My roomies hated them, they would try and stab them when they were hiding in the baseboards with clothes hangers. I would hide them in my room and the girls would get so mad. They'd ask if I was harbouring crickets again, I'd say nope, and the cricket would chirp. We don't seem to have them up north here, and I miss them. 

Grump keeps getting ads for crunchy cricket snacks.

Then showing me the adverts. <_<

Does the world really need cotton candy flavored crickets? ::o:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

For a moment I thought you wrote that you were packing up the cat. This makes for a much different Pathfinder game. :ph34r:

I once had a threatened mutiny on my hands when, while DM-ing a game, I placed a small live cat on the table as the BBEG. ::D:

The players, of course, were in an uproar.

And then it leaned over, sniffed one of the party members' miniatures, and pushed it over with his paw before casually beginning to energetically groom said paw with his tongue, ignoring the rest of the room.

Needless to say, at that point, it was on... :B):

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Haha 12

32 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

The lizard says that they are fine being cricket flavored.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Loblaws thinks so. They sell cricket meal powder in the health food section in Superstore. (Which is next to the gluten free section.) I'd try it, but it's quite expensive. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Why exactly am I making backups today from a site I am told will be torn down starting Monday? 

Sounds like something that I encountered while in the Navy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I have only been to sit within a restaurant once since March 13, 2020. I went for my birthday in July last year when cases were super low, and we were the only ones there. I have done take-out a lot though, to the point that the sushi place across the street knows me by name and what I like.

My work group is finally having a lunch together next week, after my post dose 2 massage. We've been waiting until we're vaccinated; we'll all be either dose 2 fully, dose 2 ramp-up time, or about to get dose 2, and none of us have been party animals. It'll be nice to have an actual group meeting and food. That'll be my first time dining at a restaurant in a year, and with other people around, longer than that.

Should the lizard come with me as the new research mascot... hmm....

Honestly, some of my drive to stay at home more than required was knowing there are folks like you without that option. It would take some burden off folks with jobs that can't be at home, since we would be lower infection risk, and we wouldn't then bring it to others on the limited necessary tasks.

Holy cow is it nice to have the office/lab option again though.

Yah, I thank people like you that did do that, but alas around here, people went about like things were normal. Yes there were people that actually cared but there were more who didn't.

Lazy day, here I had lunch with my mom, did our usual Thursday stuff. I picked up something I should have gotten months ago, a deluxe power strip. It has a 15 foot cord. In the garage there are only 2 outlets, one is near the garage door & the other is at the back. Both are on the right side (nothing on the side that next to the house ????). Anyways the one I've used using for one of my fans is the one I use for the heater in the colder months (I don't remember how those months felt now........:rock:) anyways it's also the outlet we have the rechargeable vaucum plugged into. Now we no longer need to do that + I'll be moving my vortex mixer in there as well, cause you know painting things.....(It's been longer then the cold months then I actually did that!!).

Edited by Chaoswolf
removed touchy political reference
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Loblaws thinks so. They sell cricket meal powder in the health food section in Superstore. (Which is next to the gluten free section.) I'd try it, but it's quite expensive. 

This is rather infuriating. I hate that "health food" is marketed as such, and often is made with products that are cheaper to create, and then they're marked up for the fitness nerds who can afford to splurge on it.

Insects are an amazing source of protein, cheap, and easy to farm. The input material for insects is SO much less than any other animal protein, and comparable to plant proteins. There is a reason that poor countries often have insects on the menu regularly, and often have a lot of fruits and vegetables present (at least in tropical climates). Like... switching to insect protein for the western world would do a ton of good environmentally, and for low income food sources (if we could get past the stigma).

But here, we take all this easier to produce healthy food and toss a higher price tag on it, depriving people of good nutrients. They're left with less good food per dollar spent needlessly. I'm guilty of taking part in this - I want nice healthy stuff, and am in a situation where I can afford it. But it really should be easier for everyone to access :(

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sad news: Just learned the elder statesman, such as it was, of the group with whom I played in the 3.x days has passed away. We were all community-college kids, and Bob was a good bit older but knew a couple guys in our circle, or was related to them maybe, and anyway he joined up with us too. Good guy. Been 15 years since I saw him last but still remember stories he told and dumb fun we had.

RIP Bob. Y'all all remember to cherish your buddies.

• Sad 13

Long day at the test labs dealing with unexpedited expedited packages containing the very first part required for assembly, and dealing with techs using the wrong calibration sheets resulting in unassembling everything and starting over. Was supposed to be done at noon but got off just before four. 

Due to that, we left late for the cabin. Which was a good thing really. Mountains got a good soaking rain and so we got to drive in very misty and foggy mountains. Twas nice. 

• Like 6

Friday's history flashback for July 23rd:

• 1829 – In the United States, William Austin Burt patented the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter.

• 1962 – Jackie Robinson became the first African American to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

• 2012 – The Solar Storm of 2012: an unusually large coronal mass ejection (significant release of plasma and an accompanying magnetic field from the solar corona) was emitted by the Sun which barely missed the Earth by nine days. If it had hit, it would have caused up to US$2.6 trillion in damages to electrical equipment worldwide.

• Like 9