Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

It's nice to have a weekend project succeed.

I've had my Logitech G11 programmable, LED backlit, keyboard for ages (it was sold 15 years ago), but even after not using it for several years, it was still functional and supported.

Of course, after all this time, it was quite grimy, and the original blue LEDs were never satisfactory. Even on the brightest setting, the keys were barely visible because of the screen glare.

So I finally decided to clean and refurbish it. I found a few YouTube videos on how to open it up, unscrew and clean everything. Each individual key and most of the casing got hand washed with soap and water. I bought a short USB LED strip (all white) to replace the old non-standard size ones. So after an afternoon of fiddling, I managed to fit the strip on the bottom, and use the keyboard's USB port to power it.

It's far from a perfect fit, but I managed it. After putting everything back together (dozens of tiny screws), I plugged it back in the computer, and voilà: a squeaky clean and much brighter keyboard (with on-off switch to boot).

I had a software update on my Logitech keyboard & mouse (MX) that cured my lighting problem.

Lights on the keyboard are suppose to come on automatically when you hover your hand over them. I had to hit the brightness key before the update. I'm very happy.

So with my player's characters dying last  Saturday it kinda throws my adventure plans awry a bit. Good thing Baldman Games released a tier 1 trilogy last week. Funny I say that as I was like "Dang, I can't use this one!  ^_^.

Vs Goblins, lycanthropes, a evil druid & gelatinous cube this Saturday! I hope thou the player that wants to play a wizard - necromancer knows how to play a wizard....

• Like 7
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today marks a day of recent significance here in the USA (likely to get much media coverage), but here are some other events that happened on May 25th:

• 240 BC – The first recorded perihelion (closet point of orbit to the Sun) passage of Halley's Comet.

• 1935 – Jesse Owens of Ohio State University broke three world records and tied a fourth at the Big Ten Conference Track and Field Championships in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

• 1977 – Star Wars (retroactively titled Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope) was released in theaters.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Inarah said:

If I ever see a lobster again, you can have mine.   I am convinced that the "delicacy" story was cooked up to fool tourists.  The whole time I lived up north I never met anyone who like it. 

Mostly right. It used to be food for poor folk, until someone decided to sell it to rich folk. Same with caviar.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Well, the rain stopped, although seeing how dark and cloudy it is outside, that may be a very temporary thing.

The rain started here, within the last few hours while I was sleeping...

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Mostly right. It used to be food for poor folk, until someone decided to sell it to rich folk. Same with caviar.

I heard it used to be considered cruel and unusual punishment if prisoners were fed lobster more than twice a week.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

The rain started here, within the last few hours while I was sleeping...

I heard it used to be considered cruel and unusual punishment if prisoners were fed lobster more than twice a week.

During the colonial period they were very common and you could literally pick them out of the water, or off the beach after a good storm.  They are shallow water critters.  The English did eat fish but preferred game on their tables.  What I heard in school was that they were fed to indentured servants and it could be written into their contract that they were not to be fed lobster more than x times per week.   That was all before overfishing made one of the richest seafood regions on the planet nearly barren, and pollution and red tide almost killed the shellfish industry.  Lobster aren't rare, by any means, but demand is significantly higher than it used to be, now that they can be kept in cold storage and shipped anywhere.  I ate more lobster in college, because it was cheaper than chicken at the time.  IIRC they were less than $3 per pound.  Used to go down to the beach with friends and we'd get a cooked 1.5 lb "chick" from a fish shack served up in a paper basket with butter, for ~$7, and go sit on the pier and eat them.   Good times. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

image.thumb.png.1bc7d726497cde3aa565202c6cd7e66f.png

Bwahahahahahaha!

I've never inflicted this on Megan - but I actually like tomalley on brown bread. (Though I am more likely to use it as a stuffing for the lobster.)

The taste is strong, and a little can go a long way. (Tomalley and butter, spread thin on moist or toasted brown bread - the kind that comes in a can.)

The Auld Grump - I think Megan would find something to throw at me... maybe the table.

You are a wise and considerate man, with a sense of self preservation. :;,;:

Lobster's okay. But I like chicken better.

It's better than steamers though.

• Like 5

Customer buys teller a year ago, doesn't install it. 
Customer last week, installs new teller.  It doesn't work. It acts like it works, but won't send a signal to the wash to start it. 
We troubleshoot it down to a circuit board.  Customer sends me circuit board so I can figure out what is going on, thinking it's a couple of failed relays, because that happens frequently. 
I spend hours troubleshooting the board, because it's NOT the relays.  Finally, after exhausting all my resources except one very labor intensive procedure, I give up and ask the engineer if there is anything else I can try before I do that. 

Engineer "Oh, I bet I know exactly what that is."

Why? Because he wondered where the teller they used to test a programmer last summer went. 

• Haha 14
15 hours ago, Inarah said:

If I ever see a lobster again, you can have mine.   I am convinced that the "delicacy" story was cooked up to fool tourists.  The whole time I lived up north I never met anyone who like it. 

Sshh!!

Don’t tell them! Tourist dollars don’t grow on trees* you know!

[spoiler]
* - Except between late September and mid October.

[/spoiler]

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6