Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

21 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I'm pretty sure I'd remember being kneecapped. <_<

Actually, it was that one time at ReaperCon...

11 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Tremere giving himself away there.....

Nah, ask any politician - it's all about the Obfuscation... Except when it's not.  :blues:

<runs off shouting, "!srorriM eht kaerB !srorriM eht kaerB"...>

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

That's really cool. I have wanted to see Sue for a while, especially since reading Dead Beat in the Dresden Files series, but have yet to visit Chicago. It's on the list of things to do. And if I ever make it to @Glitterwolf's for dinner, I can hit up Trix at the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden. Sue is estimated to have lived for 28 years, whereas Trix is estimated at 30 years, the "oldest" specimen.

Can confirm, Trix is one impressive lady. We saw her on the last leg of her European tour a couple of years ago and she was just so awesome :wub:

image.png.7972ff81e27b419d7ebc629f520fd004.png.0c74d595257ffb7bdfb2d103f3fe44d7.png.aac06074f11e86ba8cd1d8309a19323c.png

1 hour ago, ratsmitglied said:

Quite probably.

They only swoop in breeding season, and they've decided you're worth swooping.

We had terns drawing blood with their stabby little beaks when we visited the Isle of May a while back. Totally understandable as they had decided to place their colony right next to the only jetty on the island. It was like something from The Birds, only with these adorable little guys running past our feet. 

DgDz72fWAAAvDR8.thumb.jpg.93c87063f72865c6181a3584adf492d3.jpg

Thankfully the colony decided to move location the next year so we didn't have to suffer the (admittedly justified) wrath of the adults the next time we visited.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 15

So I just finished up 4 of the same large size minis for RCon games. I'm looking at my master mini chart & crossing off complete figures. I only needed 3 of this minis.....sigh.

On to some goblins!!

• Like 7
20 hours ago, haldir said:

234811304_1175075172982137_2173591781949

Definitely, my D&D players.

Fun night at the FLGS running Ghosts of Saltmarsh. We got a new player, so it was nice to see some new blood at the table. The players went into a room with a fireplace as they seen a glint of something shiney. They were set upon by 2 spider swarms. After initiative rolls & a couple players went, it was the spider's turn. I grab 2 d20s & declare which is for whom & threw em down, 2 natural 20s. I don't think I've ever done that one before (2 20s in a row, yes, all the time, just never in 2 separate attacks). The paladin ate 18 points of damage & the rogue took 14. Both characters are 1st level so both went down. The party did finish off the swarms (the drunk monk killed both....ok then) & was able to stabilize the rogue. The paladin did his death saves & it came down to a 50/50 roll & he succeeded.

The treasure turned out to be a 5 sp quartz crystal!! The human fighter took the sphere (it's a counterweight used in a alchemist tool set) & just chucked it out a broken window.  HA HA (Loved the reaction on that one!).

The party finished off the 1st & 2nd levels of the house, they've explored the cellar but they didn't go into the skeleton room yet or find the secret door to the tunnels. They'll do that next Weds! Funny thing is they are afraid of fireplaces now. :devil:

GoS is old school D&D. ::):

I almost killed a PC in that very scene.

I think Megan kept that quartz orb, I forget why.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Quite probably.

They only swoop in breeding season, and they've decided you're worth swooping.

That there looks like a magpie - yet another member of the corvids.

So, given my track record with corvids... maybe.

On the other hand, piss off one, and you have pissed off the entire flock. And it is far easier to befriend a single bird than a flock. (It is because I befriended Crazy Crow that I am friends with his flock - when I met him, he had no flock.)

The Auld Grum[

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That there looks like a magpie - yet another member of the corvids.

So, given my track record with corvids... maybe.

On the other hand, piss off one, and you have pissed off the entire flock. And it is far easier to befriend a single bird than a flock. (It is because I befriended Crazy Crow that I am friends with his flock - when I met him, he had no flock.)

The Auld Grum[

It is indeed an Australian Magpie - which are not Corvids.

Our local magpies tend to hang around in pairs unless they have young, but some do form larger flocks. And I know a few people who've managed to befriend their local magpie

• Like 7

Had to take SWMBO shopping earlier today. When we got home I heard a very faint noise and saw a flash of movement right up against the house.  Looked behind the half sheet of marine plywood propped against the house and found about a 4" long young rabbit [cottontail] cowering in fear.  By the time Cathy got out and came around the young rabbit was trying to sneak away behind part of my petrified wood collection.

GEM

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

On 8/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mad Jack said:

Anytime someone asks me how I did something I just look them straight in the eye ( just long enough to almost be uncomfortable) and completely earnestly and in dead seriousness say, "Magic." without elaborating before I walk off.

my co-workers already suspect me of this.  I try not to encourage the behavior.  its really disturbing when your co-workers start give you a warding sign instead of a wave when you walk by...

That actually makes me want to START doing it.::P:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Welp. Started the Ravenloft AL material tonight. Opened with a shared character creation utilizing the Tarokka deck and then just barely got started with the adventure, set the scene for next week basically.

Anyway, gotta say I had a lot of fun. I walked in with nothing but a race and sex for my character and rolled with it. Worked out really well. But I like that sort of random generation thing anyway. Others had a bit more formed idea and really liked it too. I leaned heavily into dark themes for a fallen aasimar warlock, high charisma, very much not my usual thing, so we'll see.

I may not love how they've handled the setting and all, but I suppose it'll be a good enough time going forward.

• Like 10
26 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@Pezler the Polychromatic Just what are you teaching our M.E.O.W. recruits!?!?

cat portal.jpg

Just a Polyluminal Restraining Sphere to contain the feline's murderous instincts while the canines sleep, we don't need another international diplomatic catastrophe. Just a precaution that's been established ever since The IncidentTM .

• Haha 11
2 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

It is indeed an Australian Magpie - which are not Corvids.

Our local magpies tend to hang around in pairs unless they have young, but some do form larger flocks. And I know a few people who've managed to befriend their local magpie

Huh, yes they are, and no they aren't - depending on which ornithologist you ask.

The Australian magpie, Gymnorhina tibicen, is a medium-size corvid related to crows, jays, and ravens. Their distinctive song — described by a famous Kiwi poet as “quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle” — is ever-present background noise across most of the continent, much like the calls of robins in North America. (Nature.Org)

If you do not have time, the short version of the story is that physiologically, Australian magpies, like the other butcherbirds they are classified with, lack the nasal bristles indicative of corvids.  Genetically, DNA work done in the late 80’s also showed that, while they share a common ancestor, are are phylogentically  distinct from other corvids.  There has been some back and forth since then on the details, but there’s no scientific evidence that we should be lumping them in with corvids. (Corvid Research)

Mostly it looks like the answer is no, physiologically, they aren't - but behaviorally, they very much are. But ornithologists still argue about it.

This is a weird variant on looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck - but, in this case, it is just a critter that looks, quacks, and walks like a duck, but isn't. They look like a magpie, flock like a magpie, but doesn't waddle like a magpie, nor does it hop like a magpie - in spite of being called magpies... they aren't.

But like their distant corvid cousins, they can be befriended - recognizing 100 humans. They do have corvid brains..

Which all gets bundled under 'You learn something new every day' - I assumed that because it looks just like a magpie, it was a magpie... when it just plays one on TV. But, mostly, they are Angry Birds.

And, yeah... aggressively scary, apparently.

Unless they know you - so, before Angry Bird Season, go out with dog kibble, and say hello....

The Auld Grump

• Like 12

Unrelated to anything else, my current favorite tea.

image.png.143635f0080e50b164f767f42736c376.png

I drink it iced, no sweetener. Very refreshing. Ingredients are (from their website): Black Tea, Ginger Root, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Cloves, Natural Flavors, Cardamom.

My wife prefers their Ginger chai blend, which is a little simpler, having just the Black Tea, Ginger Root, and "Natural Flavors", whatever those are.

I never would have thought of having black pepper in tea until I had some Masala Coffee I bought at an Indian grocer here in Orlando while dodging crowds doing hurricane prep. If you have never had to do this, mainstream chain stores such as Walmart, Publix, Savalot, etc get massive crowds and hoarders going after canned goods, bottled water, and hygene supplies. I once saw a middle aged woman with one cart in front of her and one she was pulling behind, both filled to overflowing with packages of toilet paper.

On the other hand, when I went to the Indian market, all was calm and quiet, no hoarding, with people buying just enough to get themselves and their families through about two weeks of time. What I was purchasing were these:

image.png.469ebfcc00e0c4cae3d9cd6f6cc67c49.png

image.png.73d54e7a8a09527af16f29b6370661d5.pngimage.thumb.png.5acd946443562e2cc4104bb3f349b70a.png

My wife was joking about them being my "Indian MREs", until I pointed out the fine print on the back of one of them that said something to the effect of "Packaged using technology developed by the Indian Ministry of Defense". And the taste? If you like spicy, they are awesome. Very good curries, etc, using beans, veggies, tofu or paneer (an Indian cheese). If you are a vegetarian that is OK with dairy, they are a good option for work meals, as they do not require refrigeration, can be microwave heated, or eaten at room temperature straight out of the inner package (given flatware). But if you are vegan, check the packaging as Ghee (clarified butter), milk, and other milk products are common ingredients in Indian cuisine. Also Indians tend to use certain spices in their savories that westerners reserve for sweets, notably cinnamon and clove. They are usually pretty cheap, around $2 US for a 10oz/280g package, and quite high in fiber, so they are filling enough to satisfy, without being so heavy as to slow you down.

Most Indian markets stock them, and I have even found them in mainstream grocers, Walmart, and Big Lots.

Edited by Skallabjorn
Better pics
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2