Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Got off work this morning & walked outside to a nice hazy smokey morning...joy. AQI says it's 120 out right now. (thou accuweather's site says 90). I guess the W10 toolbar weather thingee is either off or just guessing. I really have nothing to do outside today. Hoping nothing is wrong with my bedroom AC unit as last night before work it wasn't putting out allot of cold air & it was cranked all the way up. Anther hot one here today (105 or so). Excessive heat warning here till Monday at least.

Curious as to where the smoke is coming from this time... I see the Bootleg fire is 98% contained, that's our BIG one at close to 500,000 acres, luckily it's burning in isolated area of the state. Hmmmm 2 new fires (total of 16, acres burned: 587,381).

• Like 9

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

Got off work this morning & walked outside to a nice hazy smokey morning...joy. AQI says it's 120 out right now. (thou accuweather's site says 90). I guess the W10 toolbar weather thingee is either off or just guessing. I really have nothing to do outside today. Hoping nothing is wrong with my bedroom AC unit as last night before work it wasn't putting out allot of cold air & it was cranked all the way up. Anther hot one here today (105 or so). Excessive heat warning here till Monday at least.

Curious as to where the smoke is coming from this time... I see the Bootleg fire is 98% contained, that's our BIG one at close to 500,000 acres, luckily it's burning in isolated area of the state. Hmmmm 2 new fires (total of 16, acres burned: 587,381).

"Contained" just means they have a line where they have enough control to keep the fire from spreading in that area, being whatever percentage of the fire they have a line around.  It's the first level of control along the way towards having the fire put out.

There will still be whatever stuff is combustible within the containment line burning, which is where the smoke you [and we] are experiencing is coming from.  Next level is "controlled" where they start putting out hot spots.  It can take as much as a month or more, depending on terrain, to go from contained to controlled.  In really rough terrain they usually let the fire burn itself out as the cost in manpower and equipment is just too high to get into those areas.  Also, those areas are high risk of injury for the firefighters just because the terrain is so rugged.

There have been fires in the High Sierra that continue to burn for as much as a year in the really rugged country but are fully controlled in the more accessible areas.

May your skies be clear soonest.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'll never forget moving out to Montana, coming west across the state and seeing fires along the side of I-90. It was a bad fire season, but I didn't really see any smoke at first. Just hazy. I didn't know any better and thought it was just overcast. Nobody seemed to think anything of it, so we just rolled right along. It was a solid two weeks before I figured out that I wasn't flicking cigarette ashes all over myself but that it was drifting in from nearby fires. Kind of put it a bit more into perspective. broccoli was pretty wild.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'll never forget moving out to Montana, coming west across the state and seeing fires along the side of I-90. It was a bad fire season, but I didn't really see any smoke at first. Just hazy. I didn't know any better and thought it was just overcast. Nobody seemed to think anything of it, so we just rolled right along. It was a solid two weeks before I figured out that I wasn't flicking cigarette ashes all over myself but that it was drifting in from nearby fires. Kind of put it a bit more into perspective. broccoli was pretty wild.

Montana's season so far.....

Fires: 24

Acres: 443,641

New: 1

Contained: 3

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, haldir said:

AQI dropped from 90 to 107 while I was trying to make it to work. I have a single N95 mask I can use for this... Stuff. I plan on using it to get to the store tonight. Assuming I don't die from the heat today. :zombie:

Which reminds me. The smoke killed my AC last year and I'm pretty sure it'll be dead-dead by the end of this season. I was talking with my mom about trying to find a new one, mostly looking for advice, and she went out and ordered one for me. And that sent a text saying "I don't want you to run it when you're not home, make sure to read the manual..." *looks at age* Really, mom, really? :rock:

• Like 7

COFFEE!!!

Okay, so... it's been like a month since I was last here...

Alice's bladder stones needed surgery, which was last week. 8 stones the size of peas were removed. She's feeling a ton better. We all got colds, which wasn't fun. Aside from that work has been a beast. August hasn't been too hot, except this week. I've got vacation coming up at the end of the month.

Hope all is well. I've missed hanging out.

• Like 17

Yesterday was A Day.

Had a migraine for a good chunk of the day, it didn't really die off until we left  to go to my tattoo consult. We stopped and got Red Robin. Sat in the bar since there were far less people in there. Went to the consult and ended up being half an hour early but artist was totally cool with that because it meant she could go home early. I'm getting basically two tattoos for about the price of one. Since the second one is small she said we could just do it at the same time to save money and time for another consult. It's going to take about 2-2 1/2 hours. Not sure I've ever sat that long but we'll see. It's scheduled for October 2nd, a week before my birthday. Came home and our copy of Kitchen Rush was sitting on the doorstep (in a box of course). I am excited for it.

Today, however, has been not good in the breathing department so far. We've got a ton of smoke outside, have yet to check the AQI for here. Our house is not air tight so we've got some smoke hanging out in the living room. Not much but enough to irritate my asthma so I've basically been sitting in the house with a mask on since I woke up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Smoke is less today.  I can actually see to the other end of the valley, circa 5 miles.

Radio says they have 30% containment on the Dixie Fire, which is now over 525 thousand acres and has destroyed over 1000 structures.

Thunderstorms in the forecast, here's hoping for some rain.

For those of you dealing with the smoke, try to stay indoors and don't engage in any strenuous activity unless absolutely necessary.

GEM

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!!

Alice's bladder stones needed surgery, which was last week. 8 stones the size of peas were removed. She's feeling a ton better. We all got colds, which wasn't fun. Aside from that work has been a beast. August hasn't been too hot, except this week. I've got vacation coming up at the end of the month.

Glad your back!

Hope Alice will stay healthy.

You're hereby promoted to honorary member of WOOF.

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-13 201514.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

AQI dropped from 90 to 107 while I was trying to make it to work. I have a single N95 mask I can use for this... Stuff. I plan on using it to get to the store tonight. Assuming I don't die from the heat today. :zombie:

Which reminds me. The smoke killed my AC last year and I'm pretty sure it'll be dead-dead by the end of this season. I was talking with my mom about trying to find a new one, mostly looking for advice, and she went out and ordered one for me. And that sent a text saying "I don't want you to run it when you're not home, make sure to read the manual..." *looks at age* Really, mom, really? :rock:

Luckily, it was blowing slightly colder air when I shut it off, as my wife can tolerate the heat better then I can. I'm about ready to go test it out as I need to crash for a few hours. Gotta love large, (close to 2,000 cases) late (showed up at 330 this morning) loads. At least our 3rd guy finally made it back to work after a week of unpaid vacation (2 weeks & he already requests days off....ok then). The guy disappeared on us as well. I'm pretty sure he was at lunch, but it was very long lunch. OT, every load night this week for us! Also, our warehouse workers are a bunch of idiots. Lets put a pallet inside the truck that when you go to unload it, won't fit under the frame of the trailer (not the door, the freakin frame!!!). Luckily it was just TP on top, so we just rammed & smashed the damn thing under the frame. (sorry TP hoarders!!! :lol:).

Well, got a text that one of my players won't make it tomorrow, which is ok, I totally understand & then like 10 mins later I get a email from anther player saying he is bowing out this week on the account of having to drive someone to the hospital due to covid related junk....YIKES! He did take precautions when he took the person, but for the safety of the group is said it'd be best if he himself cancelled tomorrow. No worries I told him (stay safe, etc etc) & just told him the entire game was cancelled. I see this as a good thing tbh, as all my minis & paint & other junk is on the game table at this moment ie no clean up for tomorrow, today!! :winkthumbs:

Hope everyone stays safe & has a productive day, I need to crash for a few hours, cause I wanna hobby later tonight!!

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!!

While we are friends on BookeyFace, always good to see people I know on here as well. Welcome back!

(good to hear about Alice, I saw the initial report where she was going into surgery, but didn't catch any follow ups)

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Glad your back!

Hope Alice will stay healthy.

You're hereby promoted to honorary member of WOOF.

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-13 201514.jpg

"Can I joyn yer klahb?"

B5UV8u7CcAAi_jy.jpg

I be a "Wirrel"!!!!

3a5fbb4e34973dfe9e72def77caf9a9b1.jpg?w=

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

26 minutes ago, haldir said:

Luckily, it was blowing slightly colder air when I shut it off, as my wife can tolerate the heat better then I can. I'm about ready to go test it out as I need to crash for a few hours. Gotta love large, (close to 2,000 cases) late (showed up at 330 this morning) loads. At least our 3rd guy finally made it back to work after a week of unpaid vacation (2 weeks & he already requests days off....ok then). The guy disappeared on us as well. I'm pretty sure he was at lunch, but it was very long lunch. OT, every load night this week for us! Also, our warehouse workers are a bunch of idiots. Lets put a pallet inside the truck that when you go to unload it, won't fit under the frame of the trailer (not the door, the freakin frame!!!). Luckily it was just TP on top, so we just rammed & smashed the damn thing under the frame. (sorry TP hoarders!!! :lol:).

Well, got a text that one of my players won't make it tomorrow, which is ok, I totally understand & then like 10 mins later I get a email from anther player saying he is bowing out this week on the account of having to drive someone to the hospital due to covid related junk....YIKES! He did take precautions when he took the person, but for the safety of the group is said it'd be best if he himself cancelled tomorrow. No worries I told him (stay safe, etc etc) & just told him the entire game was cancelled. I see this as a good thing tbh, as all my minis & paint & other junk is on the game table at this moment ie no clean up for tomorrow, today!! :winkthumbs:

Hope everyone stays safe & has a productive day, I need to crash for a few hours, cause I wanna hobby later tonight!!

While we are friends on BookeyFace, always good to see people I know on here as well. Welcome back!

(good to hear about Alice, I saw the initial report where she was going into surgery, but didn't catch any follow ups)

"Can I joyn yer klahb?"

B5UV8u7CcAAi_jy.jpg

I be a "Wirrel"!!!!

3a5fbb4e34973dfe9e72def77caf9a9b1.jpg?w=

Welcome Agent Wirrel!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

First week of July, I sent a customer a quote for new equipment:

Customer: How long will this take if I order it now?

Me: Six to eight weeks from the confirmation of order, as per the quote.  
Customer: So if I want this for mid August, I need to order it now. 
Me: Yes. 

Order is received the first week of August, just over a week ago. 

Customer today:  What is the status of our order? We're getting ready to install it soon. 

Me: <facepalm>

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 7