Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wow,  2 to 5 years to retirement is just a dream for me.  Mine is so far out that I have little likelyhood of making it that far.  Of course, i dont know what i would do with myself if I did get to retire.  Also, the benefits of coporate medical insurance beat public assistance or social security medical insurance hands down (mainly because of some beuracratic red tape, but thats a story for another time)  

 

Either way, i am sure you are looking forward to it!

I thought you guys over there were all socialized medicine?  From talking to my co-workers over in Rotterdam they certainly get taxed like you have socialized medicine....

 

No need to answer I was just curious.

 

Every Citizen in the Netherlands needs to be insured for Health Care.

Usually one pays about € 125 per month for a basic insurance which will cover most medical stuff, dentist excluded.

You have a amount that's deductable, meaning you need to spend that first and pay yourself until you did that and then the bills are paid by the insurance after that.

Being in the Military it's all done from Bruto Salary, meaning I don't notice a thing, I get medical treatment from the Military ( On Base) and we have our own hospital as well.

Meaning I get the best care as a sort of secondary benefits of the job.

That alone is a lot of money I can save by working two years longer.

One of the things I'm considering.

 

 

First World problems I know.

But I'm trying to make the right decision and getting all sorts of different calculations for the same thing doesn't make it that much easier for me.

 

 

 

In better news..

We got visitors.

 

This Tree Clover and Woodpecker decided to visit at the same time.

 

 

IMG-20210524-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was interesting.  Got a call from Service Canada about my recent EI claim...  I, uh...  Yeah, they put a stop to that recent claim, and I get to talk with another department!  My current claim isn't affected though, thank the gods.

 

Love how she was all "judged based on the hesitance in your voice, this wasn't you was it?"  Nope.  "Okay, we'll get it stopped, and you'll get a call from another department soon"

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

For awhile now, I've been wanting to build some modern/futuristic buildings for my game table.  I've finally got enough ruins and fantasy buildings to fill it with, so about 6 months ago, I decided it was time to go forward.

But then I couldn't decide what style.  So after two months of deliberation, I decided I'd go with a cyberpunk style, and sat down to figure out a modular building style like I did for my fantasy buildings, using a hybrid of 3d printed parts, foam core and paper craft parts from my craft cutter. 

 

And I got stalled. 

And stalled some more.  I just couldn't come up with designs that worked for my mental images. 

Recently read somewhere (maybe even here) that the architecture of Tokyo was a strong influence for cyberpunk, which makes sense. It hit me last night that I could "walk" through Tokyo using Google Street view.   It didn't take long before I found some inspirational buildings, and hit upon some ideas on how to construct them. 

Already got a folder of 3 dozen screen shots, and I've only covered a very, very small portion of Tokyo (mostly Koto City). 

Only problem now is that I won't have time to build anything until late June/early July. <_<


EDIT: Oh yeah, the whole point of this post was to comment that Tokyo is a very interesting city to "wander" around in. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I was going to go with bunny hug, but that's a regional thing.

a very regional thing, which is why I am over here looking at you funny. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Every Citizen in the Netherlands needs to be insured for Health Care.

Usually one pays about € 125 per month for a basic insurance which will cover most medical stuff, dentist excluded.

You have a amount that's deductable, meaning you need to spend that first and pay yourself until you did that and then the bills are paid by the insurance after that.

Being in the Military it's all done from Bruto Salary, meaning I don't notice a thing, I get medical treatment from the Military ( On Base) and we have our own hospital as well.

Meaning I get the best care as a sort of secondary benefits of the job.

That alone is a lot of money I can save by working two years longer.

One of the things I'm considering.

 

 

First World problems I know.

But I'm trying to make the right decision and getting all sorts of different calculations for the same thing doesn't make it that much easier for me.

 

 

 

In better news..

We got visitors.

 

This Tree Clover and Woodpecker decided to visit at the same time.

 

 

IMG-20210524-WA0000.jpg

In the USA Military Retirees continue to receive a medical benefit through the Veterans Administration, which runs a very large system of clinics and hospitals across the nation.  Admittedly, the system has some problems but there are remedies being worked on.

Do you have anything similar in the Netherlands for your Military Retirees?  Something like that could make a difference in your retirement and needs to be checked into.

Regards

GEM

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wow,  2 to 5 years to retirement is just a dream for me.  Mine is so far out that I have little likelyhood of making it that far.  Of course, i dont know what i would do with myself if I did get to retire. 


Laughably, I got a scare a year ago. It was that I might have just inherited a very significant amount of stock (a lifetime of DRIP from my grandfather), enough that if I had another “why am I putting up with this work BS” moment it was conceivable I put in for retirement at 47. And I was telling my manager that I was scared that if I did retire, I would wind up completely unbusy and bored. 
 

He derisively laughed at me. “With the number of hobbies you have?!” True. He said he was jealous as his sole hobby was couch potato watching TV.

 

As to the large sum incoming, I missed that it was share #s not $s, and misplaced a decimal to the right, making it 10x larger. I did not receive the life altering income that my brain tricked me with. But, I am on a new project with a lot less “I should quit” moments, too, so the universe once again bends benevolently my way. 

 

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Already got a folder of 3 dozen screen shots, and I've only covered a very, very small portion of Tokyo (mostly Koto City). 

Only problem now is that I won't have time to build anything until late June/early July. <_<


EDIT: Oh yeah, the whole point of this post was to comment that Tokyo is a very interesting city to "wander" around in. 


It is. It really is. Being mechanically inclined, I get fascinated by the little things there. Guard rails, street signs, fire escapes. My in-laws are very amused and bewildered. But going through a Loft or Tokyu Hands is a hobby wonderland. Even the Home Depot equivalent there is an entire afternoon’s worth of curious exploration. I still have a plastic AC condenser base that I need to paint. It looks exactly like a massive government complex perfect for CAV. It’s only been getting dusty for a decade now. 
 

Akihabara would be a bit cliche but would have a lot of good storefronts to screenshot. Odaiba to the south and west of Koto may be good (it was the “youngsters” part of the city 20 years ago), and Ginza is always good for glitzy. 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

The ongoing saga of setting up the new digs continues.

Our new modular has a built in microwave, which is defective.  Whirlpool has been contacted about a warranty replacement.  They just phoned to explain that the new microwave was shipped to a local dealer, who received it "damaged in shipping".  :down:

So it's going to be another month, or two, or three, until we have all the appliances in functioning order.

On a happier note, I discovered that the new range has one touch button settings for both pizza and lasagna.  Cooked pizza over the weekend, Freschetta frozen with added cheese and meats.  It  was  very  good. ::):

GEM

  • Like 9
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

In the USA Military Retirees continue to receive a medical benefit through the Veterans Administration, which runs a very large system of clinics and hospitals across the nation.  Admittedly, the system has some problems but there are remedies being worked on.

Do you have anything similar in the Netherlands for your Military Retirees?  Something like that could make a difference in your retirement and needs to be checked into.

Regards

GEM

 

Nope, Basically, thank you for your service, you're on your own now.

 

  • Sad 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...