Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. Beginning of Week Three of the Saga of the Well, and.. finally, we have signs of progress.

Apparently, the county gave us Incorrect Information. The guys with the drill need to get the permit. We just need to find some competent Drill Guys. We got this, not from the county, as we still haven't been able to get hold of any of them, but from a knowledgeable person at a company that has the engineer we thought we needed. I think. 

We're finally seeing progress. Quotes are being collected, and companies checked for general competence, and money is being scraped out of .. well, not thin air, but it feels a little like that, tbh. 

I admit to wanting to pitch a screaming fit about /why/ this took two weeks longer than it should have, but I'm pretty sure a mod would then need to get out the bat, and I try not to be that person.

*mutter* I just wanted to go to one convention this year. And talk to some friends. And maybe even sit under a table, trying to paint a bat blindfolded. I'unno. It didn't seem like too much to ask, y'know?

So, since I /can't/, you guys need to do some of that for me! And if someone actually gets 'sit under a table and paint with a blindfold on', I want pictures! 

• Like 14
34 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Welp. Beginning of Week Three of the Saga of the Well, and.. finally, we have signs of progress.

Apparently, the county gave us Incorrect Information. The guys with the drill need to get the permit. We just need to find some competent Drill Guys. We got this, not from the county, as we still haven't been able to get hold of any of them, but from a knowledgeable person at a company that has the engineer we thought we needed. I think. 

We're finally seeing progress. Quotes are being collected, and companies checked for general competence, and money is being scraped out of .. well, not thin air, but it feels a little like that, tbh. 

I admit to wanting to pitch a screaming fit about /why/ this took two weeks longer than it should have, but I'm pretty sure a mod would then need to get out the bat, and I try not to be that person.

*mutter* I just wanted to go to one convention this year. And talk to some friends. And maybe even sit under a table, trying to paint a bat blindfolded. I'unno. It didn't seem like too much to ask, y'know?

So, since I /can't/, you guys need to do some of that for me! And if someone actually gets 'sit under a table and paint with a blindfold on', I want pictures! 

I can't go either, but I will make sure to have an Atomic Fireball in your honor.

Our problem is with the "money well", Liberty Mutual still not honoring their contract.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
On 8/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, PaganMegan said:

Grump is teaching me a duet for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

My part is beautiful and lyrical, a fair young maiden.

Grump's isn't, he's BARNACLE BILL THE SAILOR.

The song is downright filthy! :lol:

I went on a YouTube dive to see if I could find a Bowdlerized version....

Even the recording from 1928 is filthy. :ik_oops:

I learned the song when I was... way too young... from a book titled Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads - which I wholeheartedly recommend, if with more than a bit of embarrassment. (By 'way too young', I mean my age was still in single digits. My mom never knew about that book.)

I once heard the song sung by a woman in her nineties,at her birthday party. (The late Dalev Ipcar had a wide taste in music - and could make a sailor blush.)

On 8/29/2021 at 11:14 AM, ShadowRaven said:

Just for once in your life, could you stop being so damn interesting? 

That wasn't interesting, that was eight year old idiots being eight year old idiots. I'm just lucky that it wasn't a gun. The idiot that shot it was my cousin, while we were in Cub Scouts.

The Auld Grump

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Heck, I'm just waiting for some young whippersnapper to come into the thread and tell me that my info is wrong.:lol:

If I tell you that your info is wrong, would that make me a young whippersnapper?

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I went on a YouTube dive to see if I could find a Bowdlerized version....

Even the recording from 1928 is filthy. :ik_oops:

I learned the song when I was... way too young... from a book titled Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads - which I wholeheartedly recommend, if with more than a bit of embarrassment. (By 'way too young', I mean my age was still in single digits. My mom never knew about that book.)

I once heard the song sung by a woman in her nineties,at her birthday party. (The late Dalev Ipcar had a wide taste in music - and could make a sailor blush.)

That wasn't interesting, that was eight year old idiots being eight year old idiots. I'm just lucky that it wasn't a gun. The idiot that shot it was my cousin, while we were in Cub Scouts.

The Auld Grump

Went searching and found the Oscar Brand recordings on You Tube.

Volume one link is behind the spoiler.

Warning, not for the easily offended or those young enough to require explanations:

GEM

• Like 4
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Apparently, I'm getting a taste of what Reaper went through with their last container for B5. 

My customer is calling me almost hourly, wanting an update on the arrival of his equipment and my subsequent arrival to install it. 

I can't tell him anything, because all I know is that it's sitting in Winnipeg waiting to clear customs to enter the US - a status update that hasn't changed since Thursday.  It was originally supposed to arrive on site today, with install tomorrow. 

could always get worse. there was a copier that sat on a boat for several months on it's way to work.

it arrived significantly shorter and more accordion shaped than it was supposed to. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Speaking of Oscar Brand - I think Megan is working on Eberron stuff - she has Stand To Your Glasses playing, and is singing along.... (She's not listening to the Brand version - I have four versions, I think. *EDIT* The version she was playing was by The Druids - Songs & Music of the Redcoats.)

Given that Eberron has a strong WWI vibe, it makes sense, and there is at least one verse that fits Eberron very well -

Cut off from the land that bore us,

Betrayed by the land we find,

When the brightest have gone before us,

And the dullest remain behind,

Fits the Mournlands rather well.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I'm sure you could find a table and a blindfold...

Edited by sumbloke
Space: the final frontier
  • Like 6

That moment when you find your wife asleep, curled up in a ball on the chair in front of the computer, with a smile on her face.

Carrying her to bed - she's adorable, like that, but her back will be angry with her in the morning.

Thankfully, the screen had gone black, so I didn't see what she was working on.

But, yeah, our Eberron books are on the desk.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Says the man with a lightning rod protruding from his latest culinary experiment...  :rolleyes:

No actual lightning rods were used, merely manipulation of infused essence, and the results seem more heavily tilted towards winds than lightning from what I've observed....I'm saving the lightning rod ideas for when I get around to the fish...

• Like 6