Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Late one night, Jack takes a shortcut through the cemetery. Hearing a tapping sound, he becomes scared and quickens his pace. The tapping gets louder and Jack is now scared out of his wits. Then he notices a man chiseling a tombstone.

"Thank goodness!" Jack says to the man. "You gave me a fright of my life. Why are you working so late?"

"They spelt my name wrong."

• Like 1
  • Haha 20
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend I was talking about last night is... okay, alive at least. He had 3 stents put in and I guess was on the verge of major cardiac arrest while they were doing the procedure. I went through all this with my dad for a very long time so I at least kind of understand what they're going through. Hoping things continue to be good.

• Like 12
21 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There were times I really wanted the evil dragon IRS to eat the pair of them.

Sadly, the IRS was actually incredibly reasonable, and even recommended an accountant to get their finances... simplified.

It helped that the retreat went to a nonprofit status - and the IRS didn't really give a choice on having an accountant, more of a requirement. (We actually kept them for a couple of years longer than required - they did solid work.) Going nonprofit meant standardized finances, with rules and regulations to keep Dave and Lilly in check.

Dave and Lilly really managed to bork their finances - if they hadn't thrown themselves on the mercy of the IRS BEFORE tax time rolled around, it is possible that they would have been facing jail time. Seriously, they shared a checking account with their business. No excuse for Dave - he had an MBA, and should really have known better.

Dave and Lilly broke up a few years ago - she wanted kids, and Dave didn't tell her that he had had a vasectomy - he really didn't want kids, but told her otherwise.

Hoping that Covid-19 didn't manage to kill the retreat - it is in the black, but two years is a long time to not have an event. Losing Richard, on top of that... he was what kept Pagan Unity/Earthtide together. They helped organize things for 2018-2019, but 2020 would have been their first official year in charge of things.

*EDIT* The short version is that the retreat needed a board, not a couple of managers. I was just the guy that told them that.

The Auld Grump

You're more charitable than I am.

I think he didn't want paternity suits.

And I think he was trying to muddle the finances, it wasn't an accident.

Dave was kinda skeevy, you just weren't part of that gossip network. It's why Keith was hesitant to get involved.

• Like 10

What Happened Wednesday for September 8th (yep, a bit early because I have somewhere to be in the morning):

• 1504 – Michelangelo's David was unveiled in Piazza della Signoria in Florence.

• 1628 – Dutch Admiral Piet Hein emerged victorious in the Battle in the Bay of Matanzas, becoming the only man to defeat and capture an entire Spanish treasure fleet from the Americas (the amount of money seized funded the Dutch army for 8 months).

• 1966 – The landmark American science fiction television series Star Trek premiered with its first-aired episode, "The Man Trap".

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Ran the first game for this year's after school game.

Mostly new 'faces'. (Being virtual, I don't actually get to see their faces.)

Setting things u for the squads to be sent to another country, as liaison and training officers.

Kind of annoying though - there is a set of 3D models that would have been freaking perfect for the city that they are visiting - pretty much a dark, corrupt version of Venice -

image.thumb.png.c766cd4c0ee03621a4c9f31286221d7f.png

You know things are bad when the undead former Doge of the city complains about the corruption.

And, yes, if things go horribly wrong, that undead dragon can make an appearance.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

These are too disjointed to do any sort of coherent WIP, and not high enough quality or a large enough project to do a show off for the stage I'm at, so I'm dumping them here.

Well, they're nothing special, but the first six crates are done.

20210907_224315.jpg.e806be72728c82bd6d55f0f9fe9c1840.jpg

Ten more to go, but I don't think I can do any more grey.  I was a little worried that the drybrushing would interfere with the WY logo and the drybrushing got a little heavy anyway, but there doesn't seem to be much issue.  I'm not sure how the next batches will work as I'm going with some very different colors.

And the Nagendra is almost done.  I just need to finish up the armor plate detailing on the bracers.  The bracers are the Rosey Flesh triad.  The shield straps and lacing is done with the Uniform Brown, Green Ochre, and Faded Khaki.

Spoiler

20210907_224407.jpg.6d00d839f7a29851ac7c58534c3656e8.jpg

20210907_224423.jpg.863205a474685af097a192d043fa42f3.jpg

20210907_224350.jpg.adf17cbae92bae94a437171453671f52.jpg

• Like 12

It's the sort of Wednesday where I realize halfway through a quoted reply that it makes no sense to anyone and not in a good way.

So instead:

Kid is back in school.  Yesterday was hot and Summer.  Today is torrential rain and Definitely Not Summer Anymore.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
16 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

It's the sort of Wednesday where I realize halfway through a quoted reply that it makes no sense to anyone and not in a good way.

So instead:

Kid is back in school.  Yesterday was hot and Summer.  Today is torrential rain and Definitely Not Summer Anymore.

If you could shove some of that rain our way it would be greatly appreciated.

Still have a blanket of smoke over our valley, it is gradually getting thinner but is still bad enough that I don't want to do any work outside.

News from the fire lines is the one causing most of our smoke is circa 50% contained and they are holding the fire south of the South Lake Tahoe area with solid enough fire lines that the locals have been permitted to go back home.  Area is still off limits to non-residents.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Sad 8

If you are missing your legs below the knee, maybe you shouldn't threaten people with a stun gun. Because, you know, stairs are a thing.

I ended up not working the desk last night so no progress on the game project. It's fine. At least I didn't have to deal with the drive-by.

In worse news, my mom was washing her car this weekend and slipped and fell, because she was wearing flip-flops. She went to the doctor, looks like a sprain. However, she sent me a picture of her leg and it's bad. She told me that because of the diabetes, she has to be careful, as she could lose the leg. Which I already knew because a friend of mine lost a whole toe and some foot bone due to a blister on his foot at a con that he didn't take care off (because he had just lost his job and didn't know he had health insurance, which is a whole other ball of wax). I think everything will be okay but I'm just kind of sitting here, trying to figure out how I'm going to handle living with her again, if worse comes to worse.

• Sad 12