Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several days ago:
Customer to Salesman: Our system is currently doing X. I need my system to do Y. 
Salesman to Engineer: Car Wash needs to be reprogrammed to do Y
Engineer to salesman: Have them call Kristof. 

Yesterday:
Customer calls Me:  Can you make our system do Y (first I hear of request)
Me: looks at program. I think so. Makes change for Y.

Today:
Customer calls me screaming:  That's not what we wanted it to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We wanted it to do Z, too!

 

That's a little simplistic, but what I'm facing today in a nut shell. The problem is that major programming needs to be done to make the system do Z.  Programming that should have been done last spring when the system was set up to do X & Y, it should have been set up in such a way that turning on Y would also do Z. 

Z ain't happening on a Friday afternoon.  It's going to take me a good three days to get familiar enough with the site specific programming to even attempt Z. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 7
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... I took the assistant store manager job at my store. I really did not want it, but I felt like life has been pushing me towards this for a while. I will try my best, but we are in the crap now. Very few workers want to work. We are behind on our freight because of that and we are not getting any help form our district. I took the job on Wednesday and already regret it, but I would have to step up and do a lot more work regardless of my potion.  Anyways, Life is hard then it gets worse, then you die. Thanks for listening. 

20 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Several days ago:
Customer to Salesman: Our system is currently doing X. I need my system to do Y. 
Salesman to Engineer: Car Wash needs to be reprogrammed to do Y
Engineer to salesman: Have them call Kristof. 

Yesterday:
Customer calls Me:  Can you make our system do Y (first I hear of request)
Me: looks at program. I think so. Makes change for Y.

Today:
Customer calls me screaming:  That's not what we wanted it to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We wanted it to do Z, too!

 

That's a little simplistic, but what I'm facing today in a nut shell. The problem is that major programming needs to be done to make the system do Z.  Programming that should have been done last spring when the system was set up to do X & Y, it should have been set up in such a way that turning on Y would also do Z. 

Z ain't happening on a Friday afternoon.  It's going to take me a good three days to get familiar enough with the site specific programming to even attempt Z. 

I can kind of understand. I use to program cnc machines. would always get in a job in on Friday afternoon that needed to be done yesterday. also at my current job, all our frieght needs done yesterday. 

  • Sad 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

I took on a last minute job with Elections Canada. They don't have an opening right now, but will pay me for training and to be on standby. The recruiter said people are dropping like flies, so I'll probably have something to do. 12-14 hours, but the pay is decent and it's on my day off. Mad money! The things I won't do to buy more Reaper Miniatures!

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

I can kind of understand. I use to program cnc machines. would always get in a job in on Friday afternoon that needed to be done yesterday. also at my current job, all our frieght needs done yesterday. 

may have overreacted.   After I downloaded the program text and poured through it, I found that the change only needed the removal of one program line.  I did that, and tweaked some programming so that it could be toggled on/off. 

After I did that, the tech who did the programming in the spring tells me "Oh yeah, I meant to get back to that and finish it up before fall." :grr:

I didn't do it the same way he wanted it done, so now he's forced to clean up my "mess." :devil:

  • Haha 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

Apparently,  I am still a little tired. I saw a headline for an article that has something to do with freezing hummus and the fact that it still tastes good afterwards. 

 

I misread the title as freezing HUMANS. 

  • Haha 20
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Apparently,  I am still a little tired. I saw a headline for an article that has something to do with freezing hummus and the fact that it still tastes good afterwards. 

 

I misread the title as freezing HUMANS. 

Well you ARE a big bad Wolf…

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Apparently,  I am still a little tired. I saw a headline for an article that has something to do with freezing hummus and the fact that it still tastes good afterwards. 

 

I misread the title as freezing HUMANS. 

Logan's Run had that, I think?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to my in-laws this morning with Husband. I haven't been over for a while because I was avoiding EmotionsTM . It was still emotional but I did not break down crying this time.

 

My MIL liked the tattoos, I think. She had a vague response about how she wouldn't get tattoos because it would hurt too bad but nothing bad about them. She did look at my truffula tree tattoo quite a bit so...hope that's a good sign. We'll see what my mom says when I see her. I don't think she dislikes my tattoos but she makes a show of it when I tell her I'm getting a new one. Before yesterday it had been about 5 years since I'd gotten anything.

 

And welcome back @ub3r_n3rd ! You've definitely been missed.

 

 

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...