Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

The last few weeks have seen me out in the field hiking through mud and woods to look at interesting plants and such. It can get exhausting doing that in the heat and rain. So yesterday my wife and I decided to get away from it all and instead go hiking through mud and woods to look at interesting plants and such. Difference was this time we were at a little known nature preserve in Southern Ohio known as Desoneir State Wildlife Refuge. It's a mixed hardwood forest in an area of steep slopes, sandstone formations and a valley crisscrossed with some really nice streams. I've only ever ran into people once down here. This time of year most all of the pretty spring blooms are gone and none of the really exciting summer stuff is happening yet. But there was still a lot of interesting things to find. Here's a bunch of pictures from the day...

Spoiler

Here's one of the stream I mentioned above, just perfect. 

IMG_20210530_115704470.thumb.jpg.4901cf3d4ac63c19cb00c5b012460d27.jpg

There's not a lot of fungus out just yet, but there was still a few neat things to see. Like these oyster mushrooms, mmmm, oyster mushrooms.

IMG_20210530_142707435.thumb.jpg.01e0f752688f1b2eaf01caba0a4d57e6.jpg

Eyelash cup. Small yet, but I may come back later in the year and see if there are more of these in the area.

636475238_IMG_20210530_1507162152.thumb.jpg.5c4ad73452b4dc4a5889779479a870b2.jpg

Can you hear me? Wood Ears.

IMG_20210530_153142173.thumb.jpg.830af03ea27d2bea084790871dd96b1c.jpg

Though most of the blooms are gone right now we did find a few flowering plants, like this Four Leaved Milkweed. This plant is widely distributed, but still quite rare.

IMG_20210530_140005984.thumb.jpg.a6d2d3c36deb713b57fe203385155df8.jpg

Virginia Waterleaf.

504434806_IMG_20210530_1516011412.thumb.jpg.e0e83e3c4657158340e2ee9252427967.jpg

A particularly pretty Oxeye Daisy.

882263548_IMG_20210530_1304450112.thumb.jpg.26ded0c39101664250cfbf15f8fc8955.jpg

An unidentified sedge.

IMG_20210530_132451780.thumb.jpg.a916d9d8ca750655fbf7af9ed863c12d.jpg

This is cancer root. It is a non chlorophyll producing parasitic plant that grows among the roots of Oaks. Most of the plant structure is underground and this is just the flowering portion. I was excited to find it as it's fairly rare around here. Better yet, by the end of the day we were finding gigantic patches of it.

IMG_20210530_143240080.thumb.jpg.090031f1e363295dbbdc6abcfdb92be1.jpg

And if you like ferns then this is the place for you. We saw probably a dozen different fern species. This Christmas fern had the best green gradient on display I have ever seen.

888234535_IMG_20210530_1448286282.thumb.jpg.7ad04d51c668020a6edbe1be472c6478.jpg

This is Rattlesnake Fern. It's one of my favorites, but not easy to photograph.

IMG_20210530_132604812.thumb.jpg.185adf722feadbf2e3ab5e94914156b5.jpg

And this just has everything going on. It's an Elm, with multiple lichen species growing on it, the amber is honeydew from insects in the tree and there is a Harvestman hanging out. Maybe my favorite picture of the day.

IMG_20210530_131431149.thumb.jpg.2bbf71d45284e4a307028d7a825afa27.jpg

After we had hiked all the trails there we drove into nearby Athens, Ohio and walked around looking at all the weird college art.

IMG_20210530_171504532.thumb.jpg.eb1ac74b7e2e7347bc5fab22345f498a.jpg

And then finished up by dropping into a local brewery for some food and beer. First time I've sat down inside a restaurant in quite a while. Which was kind of nice.

1070826519_IMG_20210530_1748489622.thumb.jpg.90d3e28a9e843c160ead2cc6439112fa.jpg

Anyways, cheers and hope you all have some outdoor time in your life soon!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day two of Headache Club, and I could have sworn I shredded the membership card. :/

New rig has been, as expected, nothing but trouble; couldn't load it the fast way, loading it the slow way seems to be A Thing for some reason, and it kind of needed to be done the slow way because time and a couple of upgrades worth of chaos did a number on the storage array, so not only would it not transfer politely, but... well, it was a clusterflop, regardless. I'm hoping it'll be over with and done by this weekend.

Before somebody suggests I go to Linux, please don't. I'd just have different problems, AND half my stuff wouldn't work right. I don't have many issues with Windows as a rule (although I occasionally want to yeet Cortana out a window). I just occasionally have to grumble when something simple goes pear-shaped. And I'd be yeeting Alexa as well, so it's not /just/ Windows for that one. >.>

Side note, I can't say as I recommend Coolermaster's closed-loop coolers; at least, not the RGB-enabled part; they have some kind of proprietary plugs that are Weird and Don't Work With Anyone Else's Stuff. 

Corsair seems to be much less WTF, and I do like their cases.

I  woke up this morning covered in cats. Enigma has definitely decided she belongs on the bed, and she likes to be petted (prone humans are apparently different from upright humans). The belly is not a 'pointy bits and blood' trap, it's a 'cannot stop petting the soft' trap. 

She's still skittish. But she found the cat wheel (we have a kitty exercise wheel), and has startled Andi once or twice with it. Black cat, black wheel = wheel starts up for no visible reason. And of course, she doesn't walk ... she runs.

Barn cat, my foot...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Blurg!  :zombie:

Ever have a headache so bad it induces muscle cramps in your neck?

That's me, basically all night long.

Finally took one of the Large Red Capsules this AM and passed out for several hours.

Still have the headache, which has been my constant companion since early 2007, but it's backed off to where I can function, sort of.

GEM

Remembering shipmates and squadron mates today, especially the ones who died in a stupid freak accident.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Blurg!  :zombie:

Ever have a headache so bad it induces muscle cramps in your neck?

That's me, basically all night long.

Finally took one of the Large Red Capsules this AM and passed out for several hours.

Still have the headache, which has been my constant companion since early 2007, but it's backed off to where I can function, sort of.

GEM

Remembering shipmates and squadron mates today, especially the ones who died in a stupid freak accident.

All the time. It sucks so bad. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

All the time. It sucks so bad. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks.

I read about your problems with migraine, and I literally "feel your pain".

Most of the time I can keep mine under control.  Right now, with the increased stress of moving combined with a failing AC System on the place we are living things are just getting out of control way too often.

GEM

• Sad 8
1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Thanks.

I read about your problems with migraine, and I literally "feel your pain".

Most of the time I can keep mine under control.  Right now, with the increased stress of moving combined with a failing AC System on the place we are living things are just getting out of control way too often.

GEM

I'm definitely worried about this summer. We have AC but as of late the weather has been shifting back and forth and that never makes for a good time. I've had to forego half my treatment plan because of changing doctors so we'll see how that goes when  end of June/early July comes up. It's already not looking good.

• Sad 5

Hey all, I hope everyone is doing great. I have to take the new truck back to the car dealership tomorrow and drop it off so they can do some work on it.  I get a loaner to bring home as they will keep it for several days.  My PbP is doing alright. still only the two players. 

• Like 10
30 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Hey all, I hope everyone is doing great. I have to take the new truck back to the car dealership tomorrow and drop it off so they can do some work on it.  I get a loaner to bring home as they will keep it for several days.  My PbP is doing alright. still only the two players. 

Hope you get your truck fixed quickly.   I've been enjoying reading the PbP.  Can't wait to see how it goes. 

• Like 8

I found some decent-looking Crafter's Choice golden taklon brush value packs at Hobby Lobby today in the craft paint aisle on clearance.  They were marked 75% off.  They should be fine for base coats, priming, varnishing, or other basic painting tasks.

I've also occasionally found clearance items in the art paint aisle and elsewhere.  So it pays to have a look around when you get a chance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Integrating the old Random Happenings and Perilous Phenomenon for Mordheim  into our random occurrences.

Switching to a deck over the two tables - each player drawing a card.

Some cards can be played when the player wants, others must be played right away. Some from the old tables, some from our own

Rotten Floorboards, for example, can only be played when a model is on the 2nd floor or higher. (The targeted model gets a I roll to avoid - if failed plummets to the ground, following the normal rules for falling.

Choking Miasma, on the other hand, gets played at the beginning of the game, before set up. It gives a -1 to all ranged attacks, and all models need to roll under their T or have it lowered by one for the battle. (Even skaven and undead - the fog is magic in nature, and is feeding on the victims.)

Thinking about having a separate deck for Sewer Battles.

I'd forgotten about the Ogre Mercenary - who shows up, then 'helps' the warband with the lowest rating. (Demanding to be hired afterward - he's not doing this out of the goodness of his heart. If not paid then a random warrior gets taken out of action, and has to roll on the serious injury chart. I think that I forgot because he was always hired, so what he would do if he wasn't never mattered - one warband ended up with two ogres that way. One that they had hired, and the other demanding to be hired as well)

The Auld Grump

• Like 11

Rig is up and running, she's .. pretty quiet, really. Good thing, because in the interest of space under the desk, she's on the desk.

I really like this case; it's got a LOT of air movement, and decent cable management. 

I may, however, have accidentally triggered a Thing. The new case, she is shiny with RGB fans. Very fancy, very rainbow (just how I like 'em, to be honest), and getting it all to work together taught Andi and I both a few new things. Andi is ... not really interested in RGB. So he claims, anyway. But. Now that it's all up and running, he's mumbling maybe he wants to get himself some RGB-enabled fans for his upgrade . . . 

Oops.

But it does make for a nice night light. I still haven't figured out how to tell mine to be one colour, instead of cycling through the spectrum. I'm not really in any hurry; it's not garish or anything like that.

• Like 11
28 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I may, however, have accidentally triggered a Thing. The new case, she is shiny with RGB fans. Very fancy, very rainbow (just how I like 'em, to be honest), and getting it all to work together taught Andi and I both a few new things. Andi is ... not really interested in RGB. So he claims, anyway. But. Now that it's all up and running, he's mumbling maybe he wants to get himself some RGB-enabled fans for his upgrade . . . 

Pics? 

I love my RGB mice.  Got a fancy case with blue lights but can't really see them because of how things are set up. 

• Like 8

Mine is laid out a bit like that; can't really see the case fans with the monitor in the way and so on. 

I /do/ need to remember to clear the desk and take some pictures, because I said I'd do that for a friend... ^^;

• Like 8

Because I sleep in the same room as my computer, RGB is something to be avoided rather than explored fully. Which is kinda too bad, if I had a space where I could set up and run a proper rig, there would be lights in abundance. In All the Colours.

• Like 9