Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

53 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Wait, we're supposed to unpack?

Here I thought I was being clever and getting a headstart on preparations for next year.

Well, I've got a decade's worth of Acquisitions now, and need to start actually getting them painted. This reduces them from being in a package to being able to be stuffed into mass storage. And even better, I've figured out a way to get rid of a lot of the Bones figures that I have no desire to have. Ya see, my son just got into D&D, and right now they're playing wild and free without any figures. I've got a Christmassy semi-goal of trying to fill one of those large figure cases with enough minis to keep him and his friends in 3D for a long time.

I just need to speed paint 40-50 figures in two and a half months. This is step one on the path to completion.

Step 2: Go through 5 Kickstarters worth of Bones and start selecting figures. Won't do to just paint one at a time. I'm going to have to run 4-5 figures a session. Should be interesting.

• Like 11

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

GM/HBC is the devil and you will never be able to convince me otherwise...

You realize that if you leave it out, people will do and see it? May I remind you want happened in the desert last year?

I have a friend who lives in Kansas City. Apparently there's a bridge with a 12' clearance (I think) and truckers fail to realize this. Even with several signs saying so. The bridge has a FB page and it is a comedy goldmine... My friend calls if Chompy and I find it quite fitting.

We have a bridge here with a 10' 6" clearance (the High Level Bridge).  Signs were originally just metric (3.2m height restriction), but that changed about two decades ago when we started to see someone colliding with it every week or two.  On the southbound path there's an optical sensor and three sets of flashing lights bordering LARGE signs to warn oncoming drivers that no, you won't fit. 

.... But on the westbound approach, all they get is an easily missed sign because you're in a tunnel and paying attention to not only traffic, but the concealed lights down there too for an intersection.  A lot of locals still go "but there's lights, how can they miss the lights!" without realizing that there aren't any flashing lights (or a visibly marked escape path) on the westbound road, and the only clearance information a semi driver will see are the tandard size yellow diamond signs (there's two) just before entering the tunnel, both of which are for within the tunnel itself. 

The large sign that does display the upcoming bridge height is easily missed due to being partially concealed by the tunnel's structure itself, partially from the lights, and also mainly because traffic is three lanes westbound so the driver is more than likely focused on that, and misses the large sign that's visible for maybe a second at the road's 50kph posted speed. 

Problem is, the reason the westbound impacts tend to happen is most have a load so you're talking 40-100k pounds overall, and that just doesn't stop fast enough at 50kph when they see the height clearance as they're coming up the slight hill.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that on the approach you can't even see there's a bridge there until you're almost to the lights, and by that point it's already way too late. 

It also doesn't help that a driver will stage themselves into the left or middle lanes in order to be ready to make a turn (it's good planning stuff), and that other drivers will box in the semi, removing their options to get out if they realize early enough.  If they're in the left lane, there's time to stop because there's an extra set of always flashing lights plus a reasonable length of road PLUS the fact they would have slowed for the turn as well, but if they're in the center lane... Nope.   Blink and you've gone through the lights and hit the rail overpass part of the bridge. 

Most of the collisions with the bridge come from the westbound lane, and hit the rail overpass section.  Many commercial drivers have suggested a second massive sign at the beginning of the entrance to the tunnel, but the city has resisted this idea, annoyingly with the same kind of response many normal people have (but we already have a sign on the southbound side!) or worse (there is a sign in the tunnel!).  People who only drive a car don't realize that just because they can see a sign for 2-3 seconds doesn't mean that someone who sits much higher will also get that same amount of time.  My last job I drove a cargo van, and that sign was only visible for 1.5-2 seconds, and I bet if I drove my work's two ton Hino down that tunnel it would maybe be 1-1.5 seconds, which means for a semi driver who sits even higher you literally have to be looking at the sign when it shows up AND hope you were still accelerating so you have time to read AND process what the sign's information has. 

...And that's why I'm such a huge proponent of the idea of having a massive sign before the tunnel - sure, a semi will still have to go through the tunnel as there's no way out, but since you almost always have a red light at the intersection before that tunnel entrance you have a good amount of time to see the sign, process what it says, prepare a plan of action, and then put it into motion.  And even if you're lucky and don't get a red light, a large sign is visible and legible two blocks away, which gives the driver more than enough time to go "okay, I need to be in the right or center lane", which would significantly reduce the occurrence of these events (which during some seasons, are still happening weekly, or even more often). 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

49 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Make sure to post pictures so we can cheer you on.

I’m seriously considering Twitch. Been doing that on games (well, earlier this year). Can then download the stream and put it up on YouTube later. A progress thread is doable as well. 

Just have to keep the intent hidden from my son and his friends who subscribe.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I’m seriously considering Twitch. Been doing that on games (well, earlier this year). Can then download the stream and put it up on YouTube later. A progress thread is doable as well. 

I've thought about doing Twitch but I have a face for radio. Wait. I have a face for blogs. There we go, a more modern reference... :rolleyes:

But, I'm really not that good of a painter so I doubt I would show stuff in progress. I have, however, been tempted lately to start a thread here to show off the stuff I'm doing for GA. Then again, that would also require me to finish things... :ph34r:

• Like 7

Yeah, since nobody really watches my gaming stuff, then it doesn’t really matter what my face looks like! But @Cygnwulfsubscribed to my YouTube painting channel so I feel a bit guilty not having new content. Twitch would provide that content, YouTube for long term storage. Plus I don’t feel obligated to edit live streams.

In honor of @Glitterwolf posting up pictures of his meals, I present The Forumite Breakfast:

984218D7-D75F-43F5-9135-1B6A235F9542.thumb.jpeg.d41a5e4c8948b5a3e76815cdfc0ed6d6.jpeg

That’s a Colby Jack and bacon sandwich with a side of bacon, a bacon and jalapeño salad, and a coffee. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I have a friend who lives in Kansas City. Apparently there's a bridge with a 12' clearance (I think) and truckers fail to realize this. Even with several signs saying so. The bridge has a FB page and it is a comedy goldmine... My friend calls if Chompy and I find it quite fitting.

People don't believe our "Exit 35mph signs" on the hairpin turns either. That's less funny. 

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I just need to speed paint 40-50 figures in two and a half months. This is step one on the path to completion.

Step 2: Go through 5 Kickstarters worth of Bones and start selecting figures. Won't do to just paint one at a time. I'm going to have to run 4-5 figures a session. Should be interesting.

It's very possible.  I run an assembly line system with figures constantly in various stages of progress, from prepped (being washed or glued), primed, being painted, or spay finished.  Last night I prepped some figures, this morning I dull coated some finished figs to take to today's  game, tomorrow I need to get some stuff primed and work on in-progress painting.   If you can spare 30 minutes a day to prep and prime, you can paint loads during the weekend.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I've thought about doing Twitch but I have a face for radio. Wait. I have a face for blogs. There we go, a more modern reference... :rolleyes:

But, I'm really not that good of a painter so I doubt I would show stuff in progress. I have, however, been tempted lately to start a thread here to show off the stuff I'm doing for GA. Then again, that would also require me to finish things... :ph34r:

You only need a camera for your painting desk. I know more than one streamer who doesn't have a face-cam. Some of them game!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Spy Kids.  Yes.

Hard pass. Too many memories of having to clean up after kids' movies when I worked in the movie theater. Though it can't be left out of a Danny Trejo marathon.

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Always 13th Warrior as a option.

That one is always a possibility, but I don't think it's on a streaming platform to which I have a subscription. And I didn't feel like digging it out of my dvd tote that is buried in the basement.

20 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Assassins. And Expendables 3:B):

Assassins is underrated. I'll watch it anytime. Sadly, I've never gotten to watch any of the Expendables franchise.

I wound up watching Shazam! last night. Always fun.

• Like 10

So reading up on my 2 freerpgday adventures i'm gonna run next Saturday. The Hills have legs by SFG (part of their Epic Encounters line up, or at least a taste of it) & Humblewood: The Heart of Dako by Hit Point Press. I will admit the Hills have Eyes adventure is a tad bit short on a pre-made adventure. It has no pre-gens (you have to make those up or the potential players have one on them. Kinda of misses the point for a play this adventure on this special day promotion. Also the maps while very cool are not to scale. They are just shrunk down pics of regular battle maps. They look nice for me, but when I draw them out, they'll just be quick maps on my tiles with a dry erase pen. I do see SFG is releasing the actual encounter this month. I'd actually buy it, if it was out & it would get to me in time. Kinda unique encounters for this.

Hopefully Hit Point Press's website will update before next Saturday, as there are links for the pregen character sheets but nothing right now. If anything I can always take the book & get those photocopied. This one suffers from nice map/art for me, but will just be my lines on the grid, but at least they are easier to draw out, as they are just dungeon crawl maps. I'm debating on find anthropomorphic animals for the players, but we shall see. They'd have to be stl files as right now I don't trust the USPS to deliver on time. Parrot druid, mountain lion cleric, gecko/skink rogue & appears to be a pangolin ranger are the pregens.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Hard pass. Too many memories of having to clean up after kids' movies when I worked in the movie theater. Though it can't be left out of a Danny Trejo marathon.

I met Danny Trejo once, at Border's.

I did NOT expect him to be a goofball! :lol:

He can say the silliest things, with this sad, sad look in his eyes. He cracked me up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

7 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Sounds like an excellent reason to do a thread here. :poke:

6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Yeah, since nobody really watches my gaming stuff, then it doesn’t really matter what my face looks like! But @Cygnwulfsubscribed to my YouTube painting channel so I feel a bit guilty not having new content. Twitch would provide that content, YouTube for long term storage. Plus I don’t feel obligated to edit live streams.

In honor of @Glitterwolf posting up pictures of his meals, I present The Forumite Breakfast:

984218D7-D75F-43F5-9135-1B6A235F9542.thumb.jpeg.d41a5e4c8948b5a3e76815cdfc0ed6d6.jpeg

That’s a Colby Jack and bacon sandwich with a side of bacon, a bacon and jalapeño salad, and a coffee. 

Needs more bacon.

Happy Birthday, @SparrowMarie!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1