Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

I've been having Issues getting my Etsy shop set up. In the meantime I finally got my commissions page together on my website. I also set it where it was visible because when I first published it I didn't actually put it on the menu bar...

• Like 9
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AARRGGHH!  I hate reporting bias.  No, I don't mean political stuff, I'm talking about customers who call in for service, but you can't quite figure out what their issue really is because they're reporting their issues with their own biased "troubleshooting". 

The first problem/occurrence she mentioned to me appeared to be the only reason she was calling, and it is a real possibility with certain equipment configurations, especially if they're set up wrong.  As I was diving into that and finding no problems, she started talking about this other problem, and finally the third and the fourth.   As we started to go through each of her problems, I finally realized that she didn't have 4 different problems - she had 1 problem occur 4 different times, but she had tried to explain what was happening each time, and thought she had figured out what the cause was.  The  problem that really stumped her was the fourth occurrence, because she couldn't explain it away.  Her explanations for the first three occurrences all had me looking in the wrong direction - but when she finally mentioned the fourth one, I had a light bulb go on. 

Sixty minutes of what should be billable time was wasted, but won't be because her system is still under warranty.  Oh well, at least I can bill it to my client, even if my client won't bill their customer. 

• Sad 8
1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

Tomorrow, I get to wait around my office because I *have* to have a meeting with a member of management about gear. Of course, since most of our company works graveyard, we have to come in during late business hours because that's when management is there. Most of us get off between 6am and 8:30am, so makes perfect sense to have us come in between 10am and 6:30pm. On days most of us work. :rolleyes:

Companies that do that wonder why nobody shows up to the meetings.  When I was still working for the coffee company they literally tried SEVERAL TIMES to get employees in the west to come to work.... At 05:00.  Because it was already 7 or 8 where they were.  It took the person scheduling two days to figure out why every single person responded with "Declined", and some even had a few choice words added in. 

If my company asked me to do such I'd have two questions: who's paying for me to get here (and then be here, on overtime) and home (because I'm not bussing it!), and secondly, who's covering my shift tomorrow?  You want me in when I usually sleep, you can deal with the Fallout - and I'm still getting paid for that shift too. 

Thankfully the current company, although it has its corporate faults, doesn't usually pull this kind of stupidity. 

• Like 10

Just got back from a two hour mountain drive. Did not see a lot of fall colors as its a bit late in the season. Going to try to stitch it all together from the dash cam to have a vacation video to share with family and others. Have to see if I can excise the audio for public consumption.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Yet another reason I'm glad to not be in management - that mistake above seems like it would be really easy to make.

Even after nearly twenty years of nationwide tech support, I'm still amazed on a weekly basis how many people simply cannot comprehend time zones. 

This morning started off pretty decent, despite my dealing with the lady I mentioned up thread.   This afternoon went to crap when, once again, I found out last minute that I was needed to install and configure a POS feature, this time not just at one site, but two different sites.  I'm getting sick of the salesman just selling the stuff without doing any research as to whether it's compatible, nor giving me a heads up that it's been sold so I can expect the call, prepare them and manage expectations.   Nope, it's just ship the stuff along with a  "Call Kristof when you get it, and he'll help you install it." Everyone of these guys calls expecting it to be running that afternoon. 

And if that wasn't bad enough, one of the sites he did this with is a customer of our best distributor, and he sold to the site direct, bypassing the distributor completely! I can't wait to field the call from the distributor when they find out. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Companies that do that wonder why nobody shows up to the meetings.  When I was still working for the coffee company they literally tried SEVERAL TIMES to get employees in the west to come to work.... At 05:00.  Because it was already 7 or 8 where they were.  It took the person scheduling two days to figure out why every single person responded with "Declined", and some even had a few choice words added in. 

If my company asked me to do such I'd have two questions: who's paying for me to get here (and then be here, on overtime) and home (because I'm not bussing it!), and secondly, who's covering my shift tomorrow?  You want me in when I usually sleep, you can deal with the Fallout - and I'm still getting paid for that shift too. 

Thankfully the current company, although it has its corporate faults, doesn't usually pull this kind of stupidity. 

Good for you.

Too many in "management" have the arrogance to "assume" that the world revolves around them and the time and schedule disruption they create are problems to be dealt with by "other people".  Since it only presents a problem for one person, my proposal is they are the ones who need to make the schedule accommodations.

When I was driving bulk haul tankers we had either a quarterly or semi-annual safety meeting that was paid time/overtime, with a little handy thank you gift from the company, things like glove box size first aid kits, small tool sets, or other useful chachkis.  Drivers who had reached milestone safe mileage or time with the company were recognized at these meetings.  In addition, there was a monthly food day, which most of us over the road drivers missed out on but was great when we could catch a terminal stop at the right day and time.

I worked hard, but it was nice working for a company that recognized the effort.

GEM

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Even after nearly twenty years of nationwide tech support, I'm still amazed on a weekly basis how many people simply cannot comprehend time zones. 

This morning started off pretty decent, despite my dealing with the lady I mentioned up thread.   This afternoon went to crap when, once again, I found out last minute that I was needed to install and configure a POS feature, this time not just at one site, but two different sites.  I'm getting sick of the salesman just selling the stuff without doing any research as to whether it's compatible, nor giving me a heads up that it's been sold so I can expect the call, prepare them and manage expectations.   Nope, it's just ship the stuff along with a  "Call Kristof when you get it, and he'll help you install it." Everyone of these guys calls expecting it to be running that afternoon. 

And if that wasn't bad enough, one of the sites he did this with is a customer of our best distributor, and he sold to the site direct, bypassing the distributor completely! I can't wait to field the call from the distributor when they find out. 

Need to figure a way to bill the salesdrones a "convenience fee" for not booking the timeframe at time of sale for when you will be needed to complete the install.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, vejlin said:

👀 It's been a while. I wonder how much things have changed since I was last here.

Not a whole heck of a lot, actually. The biggest change, like someone already mentioned, is that Beekeepers is gone.

Welcome back, it's nice to see you again.

• Like 6

Oh joy, getting ready to head out the door for a not-surprisingly night at work. Suppose to be my night off, but our load night never showed. Warehouse sent the store a email around 9 pm last night saying they didn't have a driver for our load & were looking for one & would send out a ETA once they got one......welllllll.

Load showed up at 1 pm today, but when I left at 7 this morning I knew I'd get a text from my boss asking & around 8 am, there is was. I told him I'm busy on Weds night but I'd show up as I wasn't going to leave my co-worker hangin' with this load. So I'm heading into work at 10 vs my normal time cause if I don't, I'm probably gonna go to sleep on the couch & not wake up till tomorrow morning.

I guess the good thing is more hours/cash for the check, but yah I'd rather be heading to bed right now.

• Sad 7