Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Good morning for Saturday. Let's dive into what happened on this date of October 16th:

• 1846 – William T. G. Morton administered ether in its first use as anesthesia during a surgical operation.

• 1847 – The novel Jane Eyre was published in London.

• 1978 – Pope John Paul II became the first non-Italian pontiff since 1523 (since Adrian VI, the only Dutch pope).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Good morning for Saturday. Let's dive into what happened on this date of October 16th:

• 1846 – William T. G. Morton administered ether in its first use as anesthesia during a surgical operation.

If you get a chance to visit the Ether Dome in Boston, do. This is where it happened. It's an old school operating theatre with plaques all around the outside explaining the procedure. It's still in use, though as a lecture hall, so you will have to call to check when it is open to the public. Also, Patiherchef, the mummy lies in his sarcophagus there. Across the street is the Medical Museum at Boston General, and it's worth a visit if you are at all interested in that sort of thing. I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 13

Good morning and happy Saturday!

I has a pretty weird dream last night; I don't really remember a lot of details, though. I was at Reapercon, and for some reason, I forgot that I was there on Friday night, so I drove home. I woke up on Saturday at home wondering why I was there. Then I got a phone call from somebody at Reaper telling me that the con was still going on and they needed me to get ASAP.:blink:

• Like 12

A well-earned feeling of satisfaction after you've finally finished the oatmeal in the giant container you've been wanting for a terrain project... and then one of utter frustration when you discover someone came behind you, and smashed the container flat and into recycling before you could claim it.

*grumble, already eye-balling the next container of colon-blow in the pantry*

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 6

I guess I ended up doing something mildly exciting. I sorted my wargaming terrain by genre. I have a (big) box of sci-fi and modern stuff; have a snap-fit tank, a police car, APC, 40k ruins, and other goodies inside. I have two boxes full of TTC Combat stuff for the tile set I picked up a while back. And I have a box for graveyard stuff and another for Western stuff. Now, I just need to get some games in. We will not mention that I also need to paint this stuff, as well as piles of minis. :ph34r:

I've been trying to get ahold of my one mini gaming friend but he hasn't gotten back to me. We both got busy last month (him with infected wisdom teeth) and me with work stuff. I've texted him a few times the last couple of weeks and no reply. I'm only slightly concerned because we can go long periods without contact but I usually hear back from him by now...

I suppose I'll have to play some of the solo games I've picked up (I just got a copy of Nightwatch the day before yesterday) to get my fix in. But it's just not the same. :down:

• Like 8

Well, looks like I'm NOT going to check out free RPG day after all. 

The nearest location is requiring you to purchase stuff to get access to the 'free' stuff. Now, I understand that the store has to pay for the free stuff that gets given away, so they're hoping to offset the cost by getting increased sales by getting people into the store, and that's reasonable. I most likely would have spent some money at the store anyway, but being told that I have to spend x number of dollars on certain products before I can pick up a free item is unreasonable, at least in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

Survived a trip to the shops, we have food now! 

(The housemate and I were good and masked up, so we didn't freak anyone out when we coughed).

Stumbled across something interesting on Youtube this morning. It's basically a series of little faux documentaries about Batman as a real-life 1920's crimefighter (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEbvRBdyIfQvuvBlkW_8Ez3zFrhCBNveK).

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The nearest location is requiring you to purchase stuff to get access to the 'free' stuff. Now, I understand that the store has to pay for the free stuff that gets given away, so they're hoping to offset the cost by getting increased sales by getting people into the store, and that's reasonable. I most likely would have spent some money at the store anyway, but being told that I have to spend x number of dollars on certain products before I can pick up a free item is unreasonable, at least in my opinion.

There is some decent stuff this year, tbh I don't mind the purchase X to get X as yes the store does have to purchase the box of "free" stuff. I wanna say the box costs at least $300 dollars. The FLGS over in Meridian, ID at least when I went there was 1 item per person, no purchase. Granted they are in a large city so they can offset the cost by the amount of people that come in. My town oth, is small & I'm hoping not to just sit up there all day waiting for players to show up. As I've said on here, I'm running a couple adventures today. I need to see what, if any items are from a couple of "coming" publishers are on freerpgday's website (you'd think they would have kept up with the site for information....)

While I made up 5 pregens last night, I really wish SFG had included some in their adventure & while nice to have actual battle maps for the Humblewood adventure, it would have been nice had they actually updated their site to include the pregens characters like they say they are & is linked in the adventure....:rock:

That said, looking forward to terrorizing the players in the "Hills have Legs" adventure & to experience firsthand the Humblewood settting stuff today.

• Like 8

Yeah, I was interested in getting my hands on 'The Hills Have Legs', that looked kinda neat to me. There were a few other items that interested me also. 

My heartache is with the 'buy this product to get access to the free stuff' thing. So, if I drop $50 on paints, that's not good enough because it's not what you wanted me to buy? Sorry, that's BS in my opinion.

I hope it works out well for you, though.::): In fact, I don't want to bring anybody down; by all means everyone should go support their local store and I hope you get some good loot. It's just not for me this year.

If you don't mind, would you let me know about the particulars of that adventure, please?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 3:30 AM, PaganMegan said:

So, Grumpy was running his afterschool game when BD tugged on my sleeve: Bad Guy!

Because Grumpy was doing a Bad Guy voice.

The look on our daughter's face wasn't saying "Bad Guys Are Scary" more of a look saying that if Daddy was a supervillain, she would be perfectly okay with it. :wub:

*SNERK!*

The character I think she was talking about is probably Guy deMalagent - name stolen from the same book that gave the world Lancelot duLac.

His name literally means Guy the Bad Guy.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 6

We tried to attend free rpg day, but our local game store had not even heard of it when we went in. 

In other news, my 7 month loan out stint at work is over tomorrow, yay!  The young woman who had taken over for me in my old position actually decided to transfer and take over my current loan in position.  So we are swapping jobs.   I am sooo looking forward to actually doing some technical stuff again instead of just project management stuff.  Since my loan in position was only temporary it did not seem like a good use of company money for me to learn the tech details.  I am leaving purgatory, I get to go back to helicopter flight guidance systems again. 

Hopefully I have learned my lesson... When management says, hi we have this great opportunity for you; run the other way...

Edited by Citrine
Grammar
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good morning and happy Saturday!

I has a pretty weird dream last night; I don't really remember a lot of details, though. I was at Reapercon, and for some reason, I forgot that I was there on Friday night, so I drove home. I woke up on Saturday at home wondering why I was there. Then I got a phone call from somebody at Reaper telling me that the con was still going on and they needed me to get ASAP.:blink:

Must have been the rum that caused this. :;):

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Just a quick look at the Free RPG Day site, seems that the guidelines have been revised to allow the contents to be 'free with purchase' instead. The stores are still not allowed to sell the free content itself, however.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't try to get to any shops this morning.  I would have been annoyed, too.  And with most everything being aimed at D&D these days it's likely there isn't anything I'd find useful. 

Last year, due to circumstances, a few things went up on the web afterward.  If you search "Free RPG Day 2021 downloads" you might find some things. 

• Like 7