Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

*sigh*

Apparently, Monday decided to sleep in until Tuesday. I broke my chair. By sitting in it, as one does. It's one of those star bases, with a wheel at each end. An end snapped off when I tried to move it up to my desk as, again, one does.

I've contacted the manufacturer; maybe they can help. Or send me a new base. Or something. I don't know; ball is presently in their court. I'm tempted to go right the hell back to bed.

Hopefully, nobody else's day started in such an ignominious fashion.

• Sad 13

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reaper stream Crow's Nest will not be shown today.  Reaper_Jon told us it was cancelled during Anne's show, but didn't say why.  I later found a post from him on Discord saying the show would return next week.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TripleH said:

With all the talk going on about being old:
image.png.29a2796d2f1ba95954989d3920b62605.png

Mum and Grump do that.

Not THAC0, but one or the other will say "Through the snow!"

Then the other will chime in with "Up hill!"

Then both "Both ways!"

If asked why they will say "Waiting for the electrician."

"Or someone like him."

Alternating.

A shared childhood, five hundred miles apart. <_<

I've married me Mum!

• Haha 16

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Mum and Grump do that.

Not THAC0, but one or the other will say "Through the snow!"

Then the other will chime in with "Up hill!"

Then both "Both ways!"

If asked why they will say "Waiting for the electrician."

"Or someone like him."

Alternating.

A shared childhood, five hundred miles apart. <_<

I've married me Mum!

"Don't crush that Dwarf!"

"Hand me the pliers."

GEM

On the other side of the continent [almost]

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

To catch the Mailman one has to become the Mailman

Knipsel.JPG

I can read that doggo's mind!

"I'm a GOOD dog!" ::D:

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

"Don't crush that Dwarf!"

"Hand me the pliers."

GEM

On the other side of the continent [almost]

Gawd! You TOO?!

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I can read that doggo's mind!

"I'm a GOOD dog!" ::D:

Gawd! You TOO?!

Yep!

For D e c a d e s  :rolleyes:

GEM

Addendum:  For the Record: I complete my 72nd solar revolution tomorrow morning.

Firesign Theater has been a part of my life for most of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZOXm3zY1w

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

None of whom would have actually been able to do the job themselves.

GEM

You got that right!

They tried to install the system* by themselves, since the regular installer couldn't cross the border from Canada.  He finally got tired of trying to figure it out over the phone with them, and called me to see if I knew of anyone even vaguely close to them who could go assist.   Turns out that I was that person, being only 4.5 hours away.  When I got there, I immediately discovered what the major part of the problem was - they failed to install an entire piece of equipment, and were trying to wire things up to the wrong circuit board in an unrelated unit. It's no wonder things were making no sense to anyone on either side of the phone calls/emails. 

I got there, asked were the missing unit was, found it in a box, and the city electrician had to be called to mount it and install conduit before I could even do anything to get it running. 

Then I discovered the other part of the problem - one of the wiring diagrams they were sent was wrong. It had two errors - one glaring to me, and one not so much.  The glaring error was the drawing said to connect 110Vac power to a 24Vdc input.  So it was probably good that they left the unit in the box. 

*BTW, this is not a car wash system. It's a water dispensing system sold by a company who buys parts from the manufacturer I contract to, and converts them for use as such.  I've actually never worked on one before, but since it was 80% equipment I was familiar with, and simple valves and meters, it was well within my skill set.  The only issue I had was the other error in the wiring diagram which had the meter wiring to the wrong input. 

I've spent all day redrawing the usual installer's drawings to a more professional (and accurate) level.  They work for him because he knows the system, and rarely refers to them - but they obviously cause problems for other installers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You got that right!

They tried to install the system* by themselves, since the regular installer couldn't cross the border from Canada.  He finally got tired of trying to figure it out over the phone with them, and called me to see if I knew of anyone even vaguely close to them who could go assist.   Turns out that I was that person, being only 4.5 hours away.  When I got there, I immediately discovered what the major part of the problem was - they failed to install an entire piece of equipment, and were trying to wire things up to the wrong circuit board in an unrelated unit. It's no wonder things were making no sense to anyone on either side of the phone calls/emails. 

I got there, asked were the missing unit was, found it in a box, and the city electrician had to be called to mount it and install conduit before I could even do anything to get it running. 

Then I discovered the other part of the problem - one of the wiring diagrams they were sent was wrong. It had two errors - one glaring to me, and one not so much.  The glaring error was the drawing said to connect 110Vac power to a 24Vdc input.  So it was probably good that they left the unit in the box. 

*BTW, this is not a car wash system. It's a water dispensing system sold by a company who buys parts from the manufacturer I contract to, and converts them for use as such.  I've actually never worked on one before, but since it was 80% equipment I was familiar with, and simple valves and meters, it was well within my skill set.  The only issue I had was the other error in the wiring diagram which had the meter wiring to the wrong input. 

I've spent all day redrawing the usual installer's drawings to a more professional (and accurate) level.  They work for him because he knows the system, and rarely refers to them - but they obviously cause problems for other installers. 

Yikes!  That's just about a guaranteed instant smoke check. ::o:

GEM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought today was going too well, currently waiting on an ambulance...

Spoiler

The housemate has gone really weird this evening, so I had to call in some help.

I'm hoping that it's nothing and I'm wasting everybodies time, but I really don't know what else to do at this point.

• Sad 16

9 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

The careless agent messing around with classified equipment has been located and censured.  R.I.B.B.I.T. internal operations thanks you for your tip and requests that you stand ... right there, no 8" to the left ... for the next five minutes.  See following point.

*Patiently waiting*  Wasn't something supposed to happen by now????? 

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, TripleH said:

*Patiently waiting*  Wasn't something supposed to happen by now????? 

L.O.T.S. secret agent [code name] Su Shi Bahr has reported that recent experimental activities by the Chinese has caused perturbation in the orbits of certain "surveillance" satellites, making certain "surveillance" activities difficult to impossible until the orbital platforms are stabilized and reoriented.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have had 4 medical appointments in 6 days. One of which I cancelled because I just could not deal with all of them. Today's was a dentist. Last week's appointments were for the secondary dentist. But I don't have to see him for 2 years now! Today was impressions for a night guard. It went fine except I almost choked on the stuff when she went to do the top half.

Just too much dentist.

Yesterday's was a regular check up with primary care doctor.

I am wiped, at least, we get to go to my mom's tomorrow for dual birthday party.

• Like 9

On 10/18/2021 at 4:13 PM, haldir said:

On 10/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, Green Eyed Monsty said:

We don't need to worry about raking leaves as the next Washoe Zephyr will just blow them all over into the next county.

GEM

Unfortunately my yard is like some manner of leaf vortex where leaves from far and wide come to join their companions from all over the neighborhood. Up until the city started that burn ban crap it wasn't really a problem, a decent sized pyre once a week solved the issue. I tried one year the mulching route, but the sheer amount of them ensured that come Spring I had mold ridden leaves migrating from their appointed area and I got to experience the joy of trying to rake through Spring mud. 

We haven't had a cold snap yet, so that has prevented both color and the leaf invasion thus far, I fear that when it comes though, it may be that snow will be right behind and on top of it, thus interfering with my return to burning. Thankfully I found a loophole of sorts involving a firepit, and I have a decent supply of small logs that if the city sends a minion around I can attempt to write off the leaves as "kindling". The plan is to have the main blaze on Halloween so that I can further cite religious reasons if I need to. 

• Like 6