Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

4 minutes ago, haldir said:

Have you discovered the joy of Tamiya Extra Thin Quick Setting yet? :wub:

No, I have not.  Seems that's all anyone has at the moment though, and it sort of bugs me *laughs nervously*

How is it compared to the regular stuff?  I have half a bottle of the regular stuff, and will be hitting the hobby store anyways, and they only have quick set (and they'll probably be able to talk me into a bottle of Mr Cement S Black as well, lol) 

• Like 5

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, WhiteWulfe said:

No, I have not.  Seems that's all anyone has at the moment though, and it sort of bugs me *laughs nervously*

How is it compared to the regular stuff?  I have half a bottle of the regular stuff, and will be hitting the hobby store anyways, and they only have quick set (and they'll probably be able to talk me into a bottle of Mr Cement S Black as well, lol) 

It's just as good as the regular one, but it sets quicker & cleaner. I really like it for styrene kits. It does have a stronger smell then the regular one, if that is something that might bother you, but yah, try it out sometime.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, haldir said:

It's just as good as the regular one, but it sets quicker & cleaner. I really like it for styrene kits. It does have a stronger smell then the regular one, if that is something that might bother you, but yah, try it out sometime.

Good to know.  It may bug hubby, but we shall see.  I like the "dries cleaner" bit too, probably why it seems so popular in the gunpla community... 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Would this possibly be the salesman that triggered your epiphany on the Universal Truth?

GEM

Yep. 

I just got to listen to the general manager go on a 5 minute rant about him. 

Yesterday the sales man told me a system I'm going to be installing in FL was close to shipping, and that I need to start making my travel plans.  When I asked some follow up questions this morning that I need answered so I can plan, I got a phone call from the GM telling me the shipment is still at least a month out, as they're still waiting on parts to clear port in Los Angeles. 

My guess is that they'll be ready for the install right around Christmas time, and the sales man will be upset that I won't go over our Christmas holiday, especially since it will be my son's first leave home. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

This describes a rather awkward conversation I had today at work:

119699818_10208285426409282_1372586581873498285_n.thumb.jpg.b5ccd68c32093236570199eec1cead02.jpg

Thanks for reminding me I have a hobo-knife in my bag I picked up this week. Going to clean it off (has dirt on it), check how sharp it is, and see where I'm going to keep it.

It is the weekend for me and I am ready for it. It poured when I started work and I was so glad to have a dryer in the office. Myself and several of us working were drying our jackets, shirts, hats, and masks when we went on lunch. Dry clothes were damn near heavenly after being soaked. Just to deal with it for 4-5 more days, or so the local weather wizards say...

And my much younger co-worker has taken to calling me "sempai" and I just keep telling him "you're not cute enough to call me that." <_<

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

I hope everyone is doing the best they can. October has been... well I can not say and keep it family friendly.  I got a 'Promotion' at work.... now I am stepping down. I took it for a couple of reasons and am stepping down for reasons. I have been stressed beyond my capacity.  I might get to keep some of my hours, but I am not sure. I am debating trying to find a new job. This one has me on burn out.. again. I go through it every now and again, but this time, I think it might be time for a change. I do not know. I bought some new GURPS books, PDFs really, the other day. They are more of I want to see/read them. They are the Autoduel book and 6 of the 7 Road Atlas' for Autoduel... read Carwars. They are 3rd edition, but should make for a nice read and maybe I might use some of it in a game or three. My GURPS Traveller PbP game is still going, although at a slower pace, because of my life, but at least it is still going. I hope to be able to really get back to it in the next few weeks. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Yep. 

I just got to listen to the general manager go on a 5 minute rant about him. 

Yesterday the sales man told me a system I'm going to be installing in FL was close to shipping, and that I need to start making my travel plans.  When I asked some follow up questions this morning that I need answered so I can plan, I got a phone call from the GM telling me the shipment is still at least a month out, as they're still waiting on parts to clear port in Los Angeles. 

My guess is that they'll be ready for the install right around Christmas time, and the sales man will be upset that I won't go over our Christmas holiday, especially since it will be my son's first leave home. 

If I might be so bold, here's a suggestion on how to forestall such demands/temper tantrums in the future:

Tell this "salesman" that it will cost whatever is his entire commission on the sale plus 50% as an incentive for you to do the install within the requested timeframe because of the disruption to already made and scheduled plans.  This in addition to the usual costs for such an install requiring travel.

If the company is waiting for parts to clear through any port in the Los Angeles area, good luck.  There is currently a backlog of circa 100 ships at anchor waiting to unload.  The backlog just keeps growing, at the rate of circa another ship every two days right now. The longshoremen refuse to work any faster, clinging to archaic union work rules that only serve to delay cargo transhipment and promote featherbedding.  You can only get a longshoremens job in these ports if you are a relative of somebody who already is a longshoreman there.  Nepotism at its most egregious.

These delays at the Los Angeles ports are affecting other ports, as until the unload is performed at LA cargo loaded for subsequent port calls can't be accessed without unloading the LA cargo first.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

If I were a captain, I would be heading to a different port by now. Screw LA in the most fiendish of ways.

In other news, I am so ready for the weekend and so not looking forward to it. It’ll be great to not have work, but then I have house work that needs done. Need to start repairing the holes in the ceiling and then get rid of the three baskets of apples from the backyard trees. Applesauce, apple pie preserves, and dried apples most likely. 

• Like 10

The Saga of the Well continues; we're still waiting for the county to decide what they're permitting; a entirely brand new project, or an old project that just needs some new parts.  I just want them to pick one, so that we can maybe have running water again before 2022!

The engineer who's been plotting where the new well will go has been pretty proactive in our favor, thus far. If I knew who they were, I'd be happy to recommend them. ^^;

... and the chair manufacturers got back to me. I gave them the info they wanted, now I am back to waiting to see what happens. And being very VERY careful how I move this thing!

Overall, it has not been a bad week, but I'd like a month or two of Nothing Going Wrong, because there's been a lot of Things Going Wrong the past couple of years, and we could all use a break from that. ^^;

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

If I might be so bold, here's a suggestion on how to forestall such demands/temper tantrums in the future:

Tell this "salesman" that it will cost whatever is his entire commission on the sale plus 50% as an incentive for you to do the install within the requested timeframe because of the disruption to already made and scheduled plans.  This in addition to the usual costs for such an install requiring travel.

In this case, I know the site owners better than the sales guy does - they already have our equipment at one site.  They are quite reasonable, and I seriously doubt would ask me to come down over the holidays.  The rush on the salesman's part is because doesn't get his commission check until 30-60 days after the install is complete, and he's been waiting on this particularly large commission check since at least June. 

I don't think he knows I know that. 

I'm not so sure I want him to know that I know that. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

If I were a captain, I would be heading to a different port by now. Screw LA in the most fiendish of ways.

In other news, I am so ready for the weekend and so not looking forward to it. It’ll be great to not have work, but then I have house work that needs done. Need to start repairing the holes in the ceiling and then get rid of the three baskets of apples from the backyard trees. Applesauce, apple pie preserves, and dried apples most likely. 

Not really practical the way container ships are loaded.

Cargo gets loaded/stacked in the anticipated order of port calls, which means cargo planned to be unloaded first gets stacked on top of cargo for subsequent unloads, making it very expensive to bypass a scheduled call.  Right now it's cheaper to pay the additional costs of crew wages, fuel, and accumulated demurage than to try to go to a subsequent port, unload all the LA  containers so the ones for that port can be accessed, then figure out how to reload the LA freight so it isn't [still] in the way.

GEM

• Like 6