Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

23 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

... I just realized I get to spend like two hours on the phone tomorrow, or being part of virtual meetings.  Ugh, not looking forward to such, or the inquiries from someone in Montreal wondering why I sound tired at 10am...  Because I'm two hours behind you? ::P:<_<

"Because your meeting is interrupting my regularly scheduled lunch break"

"I've already done a half a days work, have you?"

GEM

• Like 9
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day off today..

Well....

I will have to dig out the pipes for the pump.

It doesn't work and probably leaks.

My girl's brother will fix it but I'll have to dig it out first for access.

After that some more chores in the garden.

Still in doubt about the retirement plans.

Still considering and weighing the options and risks.

According to the Union there should be no Risk, according to HR there are always small risks...

People I talk to all have different opinions of course.

At this moment I'm inclined to go for the longer route and hope that the Union is right, but that small chance of getting into trouble at the end still nags me.

But it's serious money to add to the real retirement fixed income.

I'm waiting for a few more answers and then I'll decide, probably in a month.

The early retirement means less stress right now, no risk of getting fired ( should the Union be wrong or things change too much) but less money and not certain if I will be able to get a temp job in the area etc..

Adult decisions...I never had problems with them, but this one is a killer.

• Like 11

You all might want to wander over to Fat Dragon Games website in the next day or so.

A graphic I found amusing is pitching their current promo.  It's the one with the birthday cake and a certain recognizable character that looks remarkably like someone on South Park.

GEM

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Day off today..

Well....

After that some more chores in the garden.

Still in doubt about the retirement plans.

Still considering and weighing the options and risks.

According to the Union there should be no Risk, according to HR there are always small risks...

People I talk to all have different opinions of course.

At this moment I'm inclined to go for the longer route and hope that the Union is right, but that small chance of getting into trouble at the end still nags me.

But it's serious money to add to the real retirement fixed income.

I'm waiting for a few more answers and then I'll decide, probably in a month.

The early retirement means less stress right now, no risk of getting fired ( should the Union be wrong or things change too much) but less money and not certain if I will be able to get a temp job in the area etc..

Adult decisions...I never had problems with them, but this one is a killer.

Having been talking with somebody this last week about insurance the thought occurs to me that you might want to have a talk with an Insurance Underwriter [not just a salesman] about the possibility of obtaining an insurance policy to insure against the [however unlikely] undesirable outcome.  An Insurance Underwriter will see things from a different perspective and may have questions for the different people giving you varying opinions that you wouldn't even think to ask.

IMNSHO it's worth investing some time just to pick somebody's brain who does risk assessment for a living, even if they can't write a policy for this somewhat unusual circumstance.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Day off today..

Well....

I had to repair a pipe over the weekend - running from the pressure pump for our garden/stock water to the nearest tap.

Luckily for me it was where I thought it was rather than somewhere else in the 100m+ of piping and wasn't too deeply buried

If I was vaguely local to you I'd offer to help out, but as I'm on the other side of the world (more or less) that really isn't feasible

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

I had to repair a pipe over the weekend - running from the pressure pump for our garden/stock water to the nearest tap.

Luckily for me it was where I thought it was rather than somewhere else in the 100m+ of piping and wasn't too deeply buried

If I was vaguely local to you I'd offer to help out, but as I'm on the other side of the world (more or less) that really isn't feasible

My girl's brother will help me fix it. Punp worked about four times. Now it doesn't as soon as you fill it the water drains away so it's a leak in the tube that's in the pipe or the valve got stuck and doesn't close anymore.

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

You all might want to wander over to Fat Dragon Games website in the next day or so.

A graphic I found amusing is pitching their current promo.  It's the one with the birthday cake and a certain recognizable character that looks remarkably like someone on South Park.

GEM

Having been talking with somebody this last week about insurance the thought occurs to me that you might want to have a talk with an Insurance Underwriter [not just a salesman] about the possibility of obtaining an insurance policy to insure against the [however unlikely] undesirable outcome.  An Insurance Underwriter will see things from a different perspective and may have questions for the different people giving you varying opinions that you wouldn't even think to ask.

IMNSHO it's worth investing some time just to pick somebody's brain who does risk assessment for a living, even if they can't write a policy for this somewhat unusual circumstance.

GEM

That's what the Union is for, if things go sour they will sick a lawyer on HR. We also have Social Security which will pay an allowance for a year or two, depending on the situation I might even get sent home with full pay till retirement. The chancesthat things really go bad are small, but still there. Another insurance at this point will cost too much in fees making it no longer feasible to stick around longer. I'm collecting information about my rights and all. Bottom line..as things are NOW, I will be okay matter what. Thing is in five years a lot can happen, agreements and negotiations could alter things. The Union tells me that even then after my years of Service HR will need to treat me right, but well I can overthink things and wonder if that will be true. A higher fixed income upon retirement and two more years of full pay and benefits might be worth the small risk, on the other hand early retirement and getting a temp job also sounds nice, it will mean less money at the time of actual retitement though, we can make it, but again that's with the knowledge of things NOW, what happens id prices go up etc etc...I hope I'm not bothering you all with this, it may be a First World problem, but to me this is one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. I do have a few months to think..thanks for all your input.

20210607_112551.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

Today is an 'achy legs' day.

Yesterdays trip to the Farmers Market was a bust, turns out I'm too much of a cheapskate to appreciate artisan food, so we ended up just wandering around town. You don't realise how much of it was built on a slope until you're trying to push a wheelchair somewhere.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some historical happenings for June 7th:

• 1800 – British-Canadian cartographer David Thompson reached the mouth of the Saskatchewan River in Manitoba.

• 1946 – The United Kingdom's BBC returned to broadcasting its television service, which had been off air for seven years because of the Second World War.

• 1982 – Priscilla Presley opened Graceland to the public; the bathroom where Elvis Presley died five years earlier was kept off-limits.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's the "trick" though, isn't it?  Leave a ~tiny~ bit left over, and oh hey, mom can't complaint you ate EVERYTHING or "cleared out the fridge"....

I used to hate that. I'd rather see the empty container in the sink, than to see it in the fridge, and think that's there enough left for a meal. 

• Like 7

Managed to find a driver willing to indulge my strangeness, and so I was able finally to make an excursion out the the ancient and haunted town of Millington over the weekend for the first time in about 17 years. It was like stepping back in time in a way, that area has managed to resist the invasion of the subdivisions thus far, so once we got a mile or so down Fox River road, the only change from my fraying memories was that there seems now to be an almost unnatural fecundity to the plantlife, the treelines and undergrowth a stark green wall bursting at points over the fields and close to the road as if something has declared a challenge and defense against the tide of cheap plastic siding...I got the sense that had I been able to venture past the outer treeline, that I may very well find myself overwhelmed not only by the sense of place contained there, a genius loci if you will, but that half seen glimpses of saytrlike forms flitting through the trunks may well have been my last sight on earth, for the area retains yet a certain menace to it, although it seemed to recognize me of old, so I was more worried for my driver than myself.

By the time we passed Millbrook, which lay about midway on the road to Millington, my driver, who is not at all sensitive remarked on the feeling that we were in an area that the world has passed by and forgotten about. I noticed though, that despite this there was a great deal more traffic than I ever remembered there being, in the old days passing three vehicles would've been unusual, on this trip I noted at least 7 on the way in, which to a certain degree disturbed to sense of isolation I remembered so well. That probably had a bit to do with the fact the bridge over the Fox River at Millington appears to have been finally repaired. It was closed after a flood in 2011, and not open again until just recently.

Upon entering the town I noticed that the Dunwichlike neglect of certain old structures was gone, and that the townsfolk have embarked on what looks to be a townwide painting excursion, which showed to good effect the surviving carpender gothic style of the homes, most of which were original structures of the late 1800s, although view of these was hampered by the trees and shrubs, who had joined their cousins Eastward in the explosive growth. The sense of watchfulness was still there however, as despite the changes, almost no one who isn't from there or it's immediate environs travels there, and sure enough just as in the old days we picked up a tail who followed us for some distance once we left town. 

Before that though we passed by what stands as Millington's "main attraction". The local cemetery dates back to the founding of the town in 1836, and contains mostly stones in the style of the 1800s, pillars and sculptures abounding. What set Millington apart from the other graveyards of the county however, is the presence of a chapel, which I think dates back to somewhere around 1840 or so. Years ago it too was boarded up and generally dilapidated, adding to the decayed and decedent atmosphere of the town. However the wave of repainting has reached even here, so now the old frame windows glint once more in the dying light of the evening rays, and the carpender gothic arcitecture bears new clothes, which seemed to my eye period accurate although I have to check on that. 

Our way back took us down a certain winding road which leads first East then South through a heavily wooded valley and this area has always been the most intense in terms of holding the Millington vibe of detachment, isolation, and metaphysical menace to anyone who isn't in rapport with the residing genius loci. To my relief this has remained so even in the current day, unlike the other spot in the county I know of which used to have the feeling of thinness, but has been all but extinguished now. My original plan to stop and wander here a bit was foiled by our tail, and as confrontation in a forgotten area of a dimly remembered town was a good way of getting an episode on the murder channel dedicated to one's case, we moved on quickly. Other than the final collapse of an old barn I remembered, the path out remained as it always has, although I recall the road being unpaved at one point in the previous century.

Despite circumstances preventing me from stopping and truly "soaking up the vibe", this little excursion has had a refreshing effect on me, as the continued desecration of Yorkville has been driving me madder than I already am. The other night's revealing of a solid line of light pollution encircling me put me into a heavy funk that is only now leavened somewhat. Trying to find the motivation to complete my renovation of the painting area has been butting heads with the lingering mind weasel of "what's the point, you won't be able to hold on to this place after a certain point if things continue as they are, so why bother expanding effort on something you will only be able to enjoy a short time?" In a strictly material and rational sense I have no good answer to this, but I have found motivation in the idea of for as long as I can remain, doing what I can to block out the outside world as best I may, and thus protecting what sanity as I still possess. 

• Like 11

I was finally able to do my Medical First Responder recert this weekend. I was like a year behind on it. GTK: You can totally give artificial respirations to someone while wearing a covid mask.  It felt so good to see my friends again and get back in the saddle. 

I stayed in the city with some relatives all weekend. I cleaned the litterbox and put out lots of food and water and lifted the toilet lid for Milo. I was like, "He's a cat, he'll be fine." I have now entered into a symbiotic relationship with my cat. It's like having a cat barnacle. 

• Like 13
7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

... I just realized I get to spend like two hours on the phone tomorrow, or being part of virtual meetings.  Ugh, not looking forward to such, or the inquiries from someone in Montreal wondering why I sound tired at 10am...  Because I'm two hours behind you? ::P:<_<

Wanna try my virtual meetings?

I'm in the same time zone as Montreal, but I have clients in Brazil, India, Philippines, and Eastern Australia (same company, different divisions). It's always very late or very early for someone (i.e me and my colleagues).

Greetings get weird as it's always "Good Morning" and "Good Evening" at the same time. We're Thursday, they're already well into Friday. We're heading into summer, winter is coming there, or it's the wet/dry season.

I prefer evening meetings that early morning ones. I only hit my full productivity later in the day.

• Like 7

On the topic of teenage boys' voraciousness, one time I had a half dozen high schoolers with me doing some work for some older people at our church. Took them to a pizza buffet afterwards...WOW! Like conveyor belts with teeth! I think the place probably posted a serious financial loss that day...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9