Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Buddy of mine sent me an issue of Dragon Magazine from 1983 with a little adventure involving pirates and a wizard controlled dragon turtle. It's great fun and I'm definitely giving it an update to use with the turtle I've got up on the Show Off thread right now.

The really great thing about flipping through this magazine though are all the ads. Citadel minis for $1, Ral Partha box sets for $8, some now defunct company selling barbarians for just $0.65, something called Wizards and Lizards from Superior Models. Walls, Walls,Walls! Get 20 feet of realistic looking walls for $2.75! Full page color adverts for AD&D!  David Arneson live at Origins in Detroit. There's even an ad for a bunch of games for the shortlived Atari 400 and 800 computers. I certainly don't miss the 80s, but there was some awesome gaming stuff going down back then. And apparently I've forgotten most of it. 

• Like 14
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Ah.

Nope, don't have one of those.

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Today's gardening adventure ended in a draw.

I finally removed the big patch of stinging nettles from the front yard, but they put up quite the fight, there's very few places where I haven't been stung!

I'm still going the celebrate the victory with ice cream though.

Good call!

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Question I just got:

Can a single use code be used more than once? 

Absolutely!!

Used successfully?

Probably not.

::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Swiped from elsewhere so as not to go too far off topic:

On 6/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, Cyradis said:

You mean the goblin doesn't subscribe to the idea of "the floggings will continue until morale improves"?

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

This old sailor does, though.:devil:

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

something called Wizards and Lizards from Superior Models.

Actually a handful of good figures in there...  Their box set of wizards has some nice character to them.

There's also some good stuff in their other lines, although as you can see the quality varies wildly. Superior Models eventually spawned Perth Pewter as a sub-division (sort of funny for a company with about eight people, lol), and eventually Perth became it's own company and the successor to Superior.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Kicking myself. I have /for years/ been using matte medium to seal minis. I guess I did not realize it and varnish are actually different things. *headdesk*

You'd be surprised on how many people in the modeling community mix up Tamiya X21 flat base with a Matte coat. It's a additive you put into the X line to make them matte colors as the X line is glossy paints. ::D:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 6/13/2021 at 7:39 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

You mean you're not Mrs. Grump to people now?

That used to drive you nuts, when the kids called you that. :lol:

Mr. PaganMegan

Mr. PaganMegan... I like that! ::D:

I miss flirting on the forums, even if texts are more convenient.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, haldir said:

196315138_10159782030240763_397059125130

no thanks,  I think ill be safer without that one.  he looks ready for murder.  at least I didn't put him in the bag. 

you should let the cat out of the bag. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Ugh. That first day back at work after vacation always stinks. 

the usual trying to figure out what customers were taken care of and who wasn't. 

And today it was combined with finding out I will be covering the vacation for another tech, who will also be out two weeks starting today.  I think they deliberately withheld that info before I went on vacation so I couldn't spend my vacation figuring out how to get out of it.  

This vacation thing you speak of..it sounds  fun, how do you get it?

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Buddy of mine sent me an issue of Dragon Magazine from 1983 with a little adventure involving pirates and a wizard controlled dragon turtle. It's great fun and I'm definitely giving it an update to use with the turtle I've got up on the Show Off thread right now.

The really great thing about flipping through this magazine though are all the ads. Citadel minis for $1, Ral Partha box sets for $8, some now defunct company selling barbarians for just $0.65, something called Wizards and Lizards from Superior Models. Walls, Walls,Walls! Get 20 feet of realistic looking walls for $2.75! Full page color adverts for AD&D!  David Arneson live at Origins in Detroit. There's even an ad for a bunch of games for the shortlived Atari 400 and 800 computers. I certainly don't miss the 80s, but there was some awesome gaming stuff going down back then. And apparently I've forgotten most of it. 

My favorite period of Dragon.  I grew up reading it and still have and read from issue 15 through issue 233.  Once 3.5 started getting popular the magazine became less about discovery and more about critique and I got bored and lost interest, but I loved the magazine in its heyday and would drool over the minis and dream about the pbm adventures (mom would never let me subscribe, maybe that's why I'm so fond of the forum games...)

• Like 8