Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andreas is 11 years old and has very aggressive brain cancer, and not very much longer to live.

But the song about him, 'Main Man' will continue to play. 

(All proceeds of the single goes to a children's cancer charity here in Norway. ALL proceeds, even the ad revenue on YT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3n0YMkkLuk

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Sad 9

Tuesday timeline trivia for June 15th:

• 763 BC – Assyrians recorded a solar eclipse that is later used to fix the chronology of Mesopotamian history.

• 1667 – The first human blood transfusion was administered by Dr. Jean-Baptiste Denys.

• 1844 – Charles Goodyear received a patent for vulcanization, a process to strengthen rubber.

And a bonus one:

• 1878 – Eadweard Muybridge took a series of photographs to prove that all four feet of a horse leave the ground when it runs; the study became the basis of motion pictures.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

This vacation thing you speak of..it sounds  fun, how do you get it?

I got it written into my contract.  It also helps that I contract to a Canadian company - they're much more respectful of vacations and holidays than US companies are. 

I've noticed a general trend here in the US with the rise of personal cell phones - the idea that we can contact anyone at anytime. More Americans should put their foot down about their personal time. 

• Like 12
1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

I got it written into my contract.  It also helps that I contract to a Canadian company - they're much more respectful of vacations and holidays than US companies are. 

I've noticed a general trend here in the US with the rise of personal cell phones - the idea that we can contact anyone at anytime. More Americans should put their foot down about their personal time. 

the problem is the price I pay for personal time is not usually worth it.  I look away for a week and i come back to the office world with emails from the CEO of a billion dollar company sending hourly emails about what is going on.  usually all of these can be stopped with a half hour email... unfortunately this means never looking away...

• Sad 7
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

My company seems to forget that I will ignore any attempt by them to get me to come in on my days off. I've made it very clear that if I'm not scheduled, I'm not coming in. I've been doing that *for years* at this point and they still do it. They also call your emergency contact if they can't get ahold of you. Like, you haven't shown up for your shift, one shift, and they call your emergency contact to see where you are. They even did it to my boss this weekend because they "blew up the phone" and he "didn't answer." They called him once. And his emergency contact is another employee.

They don't have an emergency contact for me for a reason. I've told them "if something happens to me, just google my last name." Because I have an extremely uncommon last name in the US.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

the problem is the price I pay for personal time is not usually worth it.  I look away for a week and i come back to the office world with emails from the CEO of a billion dollar company sending hourly emails about what is going on.  usually all of these can be stopped with a half hour email... unfortunately this means never looking away...

There are always going to be some jobs that are like that, especially in certain fields like Medicine. But not as many as overpaid CEOs and petty middle managers seem to think. 

26 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

My company seems to forget that I will ignore any attempt by them to get me to come in on my days off. I've made it very clear that if I'm not scheduled, I'm not coming in. I've been doing that *for years* at this point and they still do it. They also call your emergency contact if they can't get ahold of you. Like, you haven't shown up for your shift, one shift, and they call your emergency contact to see where you are. They even did it to my boss this weekend because they "blew up the phone" and he "didn't answer." They called him once. And his emergency contact is another employee.

They don't have an emergency contact for me for a reason. I've told them "if something happens to me, just google my last name." Because I have an extremely uncommon last name in the US.

I've run across those types.  It's especially frustrating in my industry - never in my 22 years in this industry have I seen someone's life in danger because someone had to wait a few hours/days to resolve their problem or get an answer to their question, although many of the entitled act like it. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

This makes me nervous...

feral housewife.jpg

I live out in the hills and think I've seen those occassionally. Best to keep your distant as you would with any other dangerous animal.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-15 190005.jpg

This made me think of my favourite LOTR moment. I bought the movies to watch with my wife while I was in Russia so it was dubbed into russian. At this part Gandalf tells them , "Begeetye goluptsi!" My wife and I look at eachother and ask, "What did he say?" Goluptsi is russian for cabbage roll. After listening to it several times the wife finally realises what he said was, " run gluptsi!" Which is one way you could translate fools. But ever since my standard warning to people in danger has been, "Run you cabbage rolls!"

• Haha 16

I'll try to think about you Americans when I begin my 4 weeks of vacation this weekend...    

No, probably not going to happen... 

And I still have 9 days to spend... 

(They're for an earlier year... got to stop moving them over)   

I have two cell phones. My work phone, which will be left at the office, and my private phone. My nearest colleague and my immediate boss have the number for it. They know better than to call me unless something actually caught fire... 

Of course, there's a few issues with taking my vacation so early... 

I get back to the office when it's at its hottest. 

I get back the same time as the Molde International Jaz Festival starts, so parking near the office is going to be elfed-all impossible. 

I may have to have cars towed to get the office car out of the garage some days. 

(Nope, not going to use my private car for job related trips. The last time I did that, it was backed over by a 6WD dump truck. )  

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

**sigh**

I'm getting bullied again on Putty & Paint. Serious nasty harassment on my own posted figure pieces. Then they whined at the admin about how I voted, and the admin emailed me to ask me to stop voting on their stuff even though "he's on my side". I invited him to see what they're slinging at me. They're complaining about my username, my profile picture, and the fact that in my bio I state that I'm a student.

I want to like the gallery aspect, but the plague has made it just a poop place, especially with that group of people. Gah.

So..... if you guys want to counter-grump at some historical painters who apparently think I'm awful for being a pink-mask wearing student who votes according to the rules of the page... by all means, go for it. >.>

• Like 1
  • Sad 12