Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

They're complaining about my profile picture

This right here is enough for me not to even want to join a site.

• Like 9
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, haldir said:

This right here is enough for me not to even want to join a site.

Fair enough. First time I've seen that level of nonsense. Not like my picture there is anything offensive - it is a different view of me in the costume I have for my picture here. This group of goremaws really doesn't like me because OH NO I didn't vote gold for them. Isn't happening to other people it seems. I am hoping that the admin will look at this and go "oh heck nope" since it seems like he didn't check what they've been doing on my pages.... only that they were annoyed by me.

Pre-plague the site was pretty neutral which is why I started using it. Post pictures. See pictures. It was a gallery more than anything else. The clearly pro folks got golds, and that was fine. Gold is inspirational work, silver is really good work, bronze is likeable, props is okay - the website states their goals and that's what I followed. Last year though? Geebus. I like the gallery aspect but it is starting to go Not-Worth-It. Shame it is effectively all due to one cult of whiny historical painters.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
29 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

**sigh**

I'm getting bullied again on Putty & Paint. Serious nasty harassment on my own posted figure pieces. Then they whined at the admin about how I voted, and the admin emailed me to ask me to stop voting on their stuff even though "he's on my side". I invited him to see what they're slinging at me. They're complaining about my username, my profile picture, and the fact that in my bio I state that I'm a student.

I want to like the gallery aspect, but the plague has made it just a poop place, especially with that group of people. Gah.

So..... if you guys want to counter-grump at some historical painters who apparently think I'm awful for being a pink-mask wearing student who votes according to the rules of the page... by all means, go for it. >.>

I love your work. And, let's see if they want to bully me. Just point em to "Grumpy Uncle Corsair"! You are far too nice to have to put up with their crap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

@Cyradis I had to go look. First off, that Vesha piece is gorgeous, particularly the shirt. 

From reading through all the comments, it seems like you've pissed off a group of French painters who all know each other. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to P&P, but for every decent person I find on World of Warships there's two extremely salty miscreants full of invective and abuse.  Most of it is not directed towards me, but I don't like to see newish people getting harassed for "not playing right".  It's a game, it's free to play, relax.  It's just pixel botes, and nobody knew what they were doing starting out.   There's a lot of real angry people out there.   Don't get me wrong, the game itself makes me salty as hell and most mornings I just scream foul language at the screen for an hour or two - but there's a difference between that and taking it out on other people in the game.  

• Like 8
1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

@Cyradis I had to go look. First off, that Vesha piece is gorgeous, particularly the shirt. 

From reading through all the comments, it seems like you've pissed off a group of French painters who all know each other. 

Yep, absolutely true that it is a group of French historical painters in cahoots. They weren't a dominant thing pre-plague there. Thanks on the Vesha piece! I actually want to post the better pictures; the ones that went up were best I could do at the time and they're pretty washed out. The shirt was really fun to paint.

Buglips is right that there are a lot of salty whiners on the internet. Certainly a shame when it takes over formerly calm areas, and when it is very focused on one individual. At least here if I am obeying the forum rules, if a group comes in and starts harassing me *for staying within the rules*, you mods won't be having any of that.

• Like 5

From Reaper Discord:

Reaper Miniatures - On the road to ReaperCon (@reapermini)

Today's guest is Sadie Reagan, our paint mixer here at Reaper Miniatures!

Come ask all your burning paint questions!

https://t.co/SN6Yn2LaCZ at 5:00pm CT

E38G2GWWYAAp0hO.png

Twitter•Today at 12:12 PM

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

At least here if I am obeying the forum rules, if a group comes in and starts harassing me *for staying within the rules*, you mods won't be having any of that.

Nope.  Ideally everyone will play nice and we won't have to intervene, and the overwhelming majority of the time this is absolutely true.  Most of what we do here is essentially housekeeping, and I think I can speak for everyone on the mod team when I say that we appreciate that this community doesn't make us do a lot of work.  For its size and activity level, this forum is astonishingly peaceful and most of the credit for that goes to the users and how you all conduct yourselves.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I'm having a little chuckle over a goblin with more scruples as a moderator than the P&P one who is telling me to stop voting (... even though he agrees I am within the rules). Goblins have SCRUPLES.

Perhaps the right bribery just hasn't been used yet. Buglips, how many muddy shoes filled with stinky cheese would it take to buy you into being Bad Mod? :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
13 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I'm having a little chuckle over a goblin with more scruples as a moderator than the P&P one who is telling me to stop voting (... even though he agrees I am within the rules). Goblins have SCRUPLES.

Perhaps the right bribery just hasn't been used yet. Buglips, how many muddy shoes filled with stinky cheese would it take to buy you into being Bad Mod? :poke:

Of course he has them, have you seen the going rate for scruples lately?

• Haha 9

I got tricked, you see.  Ten, maybe even five years ago if they'd made me a mod I would have immediately abused my power and set about building a cult.  But then they made a figure out of me, which meant I had to uphold better standards of behaviour, and then they gave me mod powers.  And also I suspect Ron kept the initial print, which is probably linked to my soul like some sort of magic jar, and if I step out of line I get the acetone.  All of that might only exist in my head, but it's a plausible enough threat to keep me in line.  

• Haha 19
20 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I'm having a little chuckle over a goblin with more scruples as a moderator than the P&P one who is telling me to stop voting (... even though he agrees I am within the rules).

Not sure how much he monitors it, but you can directly message that site's FB page.  I'll be curious to see if I get a response from there.

• Like 5

Work is getting... interesting.

Like many work places, people come, people go. And with COVID restrictions relaxing across the board, big companies are hiring again. Since I just started with my current company three months ago, and moved less than two months ago, in no way am I interested in going through that again.

The thing is, one of my colleagues who has been working with a specific client since last fall is leaving us in two weeks (I do wish him luck though), with only me remaining to take over his work load. So I was still barely at the "learn to walk before you run" stage, and now it feels like I've handed roller skates and a rocket pack. :blink:

The customer is a global client, with projects in Brazil, India, Australia, Philippines, and soon United Arab Emirates, so most of the time, it's in English as a second language with virtual meetings at all times of the day (whatever is convenient for them is less so for us).

So I'll be spending some extra time with my colleague for some last minute coaching.

Vacation time? I'll be needing some after this. Aiming for late August-early September, to coincide with a certain hobby related event (virtually though). :poke:

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Work is getting... interesting.

Like many work places, people come, people go. And with COVID restrictions relaxing across the board, big companies are hiring again. Since I just started with my current company three months ago, and moved less than two months ago, in no way am I interested in going through that again.

The thing is, one of my colleagues who has been working with a specific client since last fall is leaving us in two weeks (I do wish him luck though), with only me remaining to take over his work load. So I was still barely at the "learn to walk before you run" stage, and now it feels like I've handed roller skates and a rocket pack. :blink:

The customer is a global client, with projects in Brazil, India, Australia, Philippines, and soon United Arab Emirates, so most of the time, it's in English as a second language with virtual meetings at all times of the day (whatever is convenient for them is less so for us).

So I'll be spending some extra time with my colleague for some last minute coaching.

Vacation time? I'll be needing some after this. Aiming for late August-early September, to coincide with a certain hobby related event (virtually though). :poke:

That can be rough.  My current job, from the time I interview until I was hired, they lost two people.  And after the layoffs last year, I've now been in the team longer than anyone but my manager and one other guy.  I'll have been there 2 years next month....
We're seeing a lot of turn over as things start to open up.  Today I had to tell a guy "Julius fixed it the last two times", but Julius left 2 weeks ago, so now he has to figure it out.
I can be challenging but (if you are motivated that way) there can be room for big advancements when things are like this.  Me, I just want to quietly make it to retirement.....

• Like 6