Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Okay, so I'm not the biggest Reaper fanboy by any stretch--I think they're a well-run outfit at the very top of the mini-making game, far as quality for price and the like goes, but that's about the extent of my feelings, whatever, I ain't tryna be their homeboy or white knight or what all--but I just ran into some dumbbroccoli in a Facebook group badmouthing Reaper, saying they "abuse" Kickstarter--saying they're a "big company," implying they just use the platform as a pre-order system, which is immoral I guess--and I kid you not I felt personally broccoliing offended. The Bones projects are exactly what Kickstarter is meant to facilitate, allowing Reaper to raise capital for massive product expansions while offering significant discounts to their customers. Sorry they're not operating out of their dad's garage, I guess? But it doesn't get more legit than what they've been doing. I mean, right?

• Like 10
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, haldir said:

One of the many reasons I don't miss living in an apartment building.

I'm still amazed at just how many hear the buzzers go off... And do absolutely nothing.  Or the guy who called property management instead of emergency services... 

I'm growing rather tired of being one of the only people who when buzzers go off, tries to figure out what's going on, and then take action.  Yes, it's probably a false alarm, it's a sixty year old building, and some aspects like to randomly act up.  Yup, even at 3am.  Even in -20C weather.  But call in the people with the skills and gear to be able to verify its a false alarm - they would much rather respond to a false alarm than to show up twenty minutes after a fire has been burning. 

I've even had other long term residents go "wait, you mean they don't automatically show up?" ...Nope, our building doesn't have that, because our condo board took one look at the cost for a centralized, automated system and went "not this year". 

...Well, okay, they do "magically" show up to many...  Because someone made the phone call. 

I so can't wait to move out of this building, but don't have the means just yet. 

• Like 7
On 6/15/2021 at 8:24 AM, Thoramel said:

Buddy of mine sent me an issue of Dragon Magazine from 1983 with a little adventure involving pirates and a wizard controlled dragon turtle. It's great fun and I'm definitely giving it an update to use with the turtle I've got up on the Show Off thread right now.

The really great thing about flipping through this magazine though are all the ads. Citadel minis for $1, Ral Partha box sets for $8, some now defunct company selling barbarians for just $0.65, something called Wizards and Lizards from Superior Models. Walls, Walls,Walls! Get 20 feet of realistic looking walls for $2.75! Full page color adverts for AD&D!  David Arneson live at Origins in Detroit. There's even an ad for a bunch of games for the shortlived Atari 400 and 800 computers. I certainly don't miss the 80s, but there was some awesome gaming stuff going down back then. And apparently I've forgotten most of it. 

When I was at university doing computer science, someone had brought in some old computer magazines from the 80s/early 90s. I remember one had an ad for a 2x CD-ROM drive on sale for only $999...

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

10:30 pm, what better way to spend the evening than to call 911 because a neighbor left his stove on while at his other neighbor and had a grease fire smoke his whole apartment, triggering the whole building's fire alarm.

P.S. Great way to meet the other tenants in the building. 

Always look at the bright side of things!::P:

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

Okay, so I'm not the biggest Reaper fanboy by any stretch--I think they're a well-run outfit at the very top of the mini-making game, far as quality for price and the like goes, but that's about the extent of my feelings, whatever, I ain't tryna be their homeboy or white knight or what all--but I just ran into some dumbbroccoli in a Facebook group badmouthing Reaper, saying they "abuse" Kickstarter--saying they're a "big company," implying they just use the platform as a pre-order system, which is immoral I guess--and I kid you not I felt personally broccoliing offended. The Bones projects are exactly what Kickstarter is meant to facilitate, allowing Reaper to raise capital for massive product expansions while offering significant discounts to their customers. Sorry they're not operating out of their dad's garage, I guess? But it doesn't get more legit than what they've been doing. I mean, right?

That's a common gripe that I see when people discuss Kickstarter in general. It's not like Reaper is the only 'big' company that does it (hello, CMoN). Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. I figure it's up to Kickstarter to decide when/if something constitutes abuse.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ok, some things that happened on June 16th:

• 1846 – The Papal conclave of 1846 elected Pope Pius IX, beginning the longest reign in the history of the papacy.

• 1884 – The first purpose-built roller coaster, LaMarcus Adna Thompson's "Switchback Railway", opened in New York's Coney Island amusement park.

• 1961 – While on tour with the Kirov Ballet in Paris, Rudolf Nureyev defected from the Soviet Union.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Marvin said:

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Always look at the bright side of things!::P:

That's a common gripe that I see when people discuss Kickstarter in general. It's not like Reaper is the only 'big' company that does it (hello, CMoN). Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. I figure it's up to Kickstarter to decide when/if something constitutes abuse.

This.  I'm currently waiting on 3 Kickstarters  (I can remember, at least) for miniatures (I mostly do STLs these days).  They are Reaper, Corvus Belli (Infinity) and Catalyst Games (Battletech).  Not exactly the smallest names in the indurstry.  But, what the folks who complain see to forget, is that the WHOLE miniatures industry is a tiny niche market.    Last year GW's global sales were around $350 million USD.  So even the giant on the block has sales that were roughly 1/1000 of Walmart's US sales alone.  And everyone else is fractions of what GW sells.  So it's not like Reaper, or Corvus Belli, or Catalyst, can just pop out and get someone to give them a loan for X millions to do the massive projects that they are doing, instead of using Kickstarter.
Reaper may be a fairly big fish in the Minis pool, but they are still a fairly tiny fish in the big pool of all the businesses out there.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm still amazed at just how many hear the buzzers go off... And do absolutely nothing.  Or the guy who called property management instead of emergency services... 

Sadly... That's way more frequent than you'd think. I used to work for an answering service, we answered the phones after hours for appartment complexes, doctors offices, and more.  Each client had specific instructions on what to do with each type of call - take a message to give to the office in the morning, page a, b, or c on-call personnel, refer to a different number, etc.
it was a running joke that the rich kids were put up in right across the street from the university would all die should there ever actually be a fire at those apartments. (I say rich kids because these apartments were 4 bedroom, but each 11x12 bedroom rented individually for 2.5 times what I paid for my 1000 square foot 2 bedroom a bit over a mile away, and they had to share a common kitchen/living-room)
We say this because no less than once a month we'd get 10-15 calls in a short span about the fire alarm going off, the caller would be asking us variations that ran from "Can you turn them off so I can sleep" to "Should I get dressed and go outside or something?"  We had an actual script that we had to follow in that case - "Follow the emergency procedures posted on the inside of your common room door and if you feel that you need immediate assistance hang up and dial 911."
I know for a fact I had that same conversation with one guy no less than 4 times in as many months, he had a rather unique name that stuck in my mind at the time though I can't remember it now.  Same script every time, and yet he kept calling the property management number when they went off....  
I assume he graduated or dropped out because the last call I remember from him was near the end of a semester.  I can only hope it was that and not some more immediate Darwinian effect...

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
On 6/15/2021 at 7:17 AM, ManvsMini said:

Tuesday timeline trivia for June 15th:

• 763 BC – Assyrians recorded a solar eclipse that is later used to fix the chronology of Mesopotamian history.

• 1667 – The first human blood transfusion was administered by Dr. Jean-Baptiste Denys.

• 1844 – Charles Goodyear received a patent for vulcanization, a process to strengthen rubber.

And a bonus one:

• 1878 – Eadweard Muybridge took a series of photographs to prove that all four feet of a horse leave the ground when it runs; the study became the basis of motion pictures.

Grump did a lecture on Muybridge, mostly about how damned useful "Bodies in Motion" is even today.

My man is a weird one, but he's right on that one.

11 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The thing that annoys me s how they always seem surprised that I can sing.

It's not like I don't burst into song, every time I am given an opportunity.

Heck, even you did it! (A sign that I started falling earlier than I might have thought - I remember exactly when, where, and what song made you say that.)

The Auld Grump

Flirt, flirt? ^_^

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, sumbloke said:

When I was at university doing computer science, someone had brought in some old computer magazines from the 80s/early 90s. I remember one had an ad for a 2x CD-ROM drive on sale for only $999...

That was what my first 1 GB drive cost.  And I recall, in high school, my boyfriend was able to get a 5MB hard drive,  for $500, which was half price. 

• Like 6

Well, we had the fire alarm go off here at our Timeshare last night at Midnight. So the whole building had to be cleared before we could all go back to our condos. Lady C and I wound up talking with a very nice family from Texas and that helped pass the time waiting. Turned out a drunk tried to cook something and set it on fire. No one hurt, just inconvenient. So slept in this AM and now working on coffee.

Ans I remember my first computer a Commodore Vic 20 with a tape drive.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm growing rather tired of being one of the only people who when buzzers go off, tries to figure out what's going on, and then take action.  Yes, it's probably a false alarm, it's a sixty year old building, and some aspects like to randomly act up.  Yup, even at 3am.  Even in -20C weather.  But call in the people with the skills and gear to be able to verify its a false alarm - they would much rather respond to a false alarm than to show up twenty minutes after a fire has been burning. 

I've even had other long term residents go "wait, you mean they don't automatically show up?" ...Nope, our building doesn't have that, because our condo board took one look at the cost for a centralized, automated system and went "not this year". 

...Well, okay, they do "magically" show up to many...  Because someone made the phone call. 

I so can't wait to move out of this building, but don't have the means just yet. 

I sort of get this. We're so used to false alarms, mostly from smoke detectors, that it's all too easy to ignore. Just wait a few moments, and it generally stops.

This felt different. I thought of calling the building super when I couldn't find any real threat of fire, but the blazing alarm had a sticker clearly indicating "9-1-1", so that settled it.

The hardest part was finding a quiet enough place to make the call and make myself understood. And to my knowledge, no one else called.

The superintendent did show up after half an hour (he lives across town, so it takes a while in the best case). Don't know who called him though. But by then, the firemen had already left.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

oooh the RVE bones minis from the boxes finally got added to the store. I may need to get more cyber ninja.

Yay! I've been waiting for those!

Hmm... It may be time to actually order something instead of sticking it on my wishlist, it's getting rather long.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Who told you this heresy.

E6ACA0D7-2B7D-4B2A-A83A-6D0288D6AC2F.thumb.jpeg.f6cc41b4e73bb47b9a0f7dbdab77e122.jpeg

Anyway, just rubbed me the wrong way. Opinions are great and all, but some of them are really, really, bad.

• Haha 7