Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/21/2021 at 6:25 PM, Marvin said:

Meh. Amazon not bringing the book deals for Prime Day. Buy 2, get 1 half-off? Nope. Not gonna cut it.

Still, I managed to shame myself by purchasing a battery-powered chainsaw, however. If anyone knows to whom I should submit the last of the dignity I previously had maintained, please let me know. 😞

(I also bought DVDs of The Office and Parks and Rec because up yours, Peacock!)

on the farm here, a battery powered saw would, actually, be kinda nice some of the time. Like today we were putting in fence, and it would have been really handy to toss that on the quad for the little bit of cleaning up that was needed. 

9 hours ago, kristof65 said:

UGH. 

I really do know the difference between There, Their and They're, but for some reason, my brain always wants to type Their, no matter what version I need.   I usually catch it, but it sucks when I don't catch it and can't edit it. 

I know the feeling "were" and "where" are the ones that get me the most . 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Overheard at work today:

"Have you tried the naked chicken?"

:blink:

(The conversation was about a dish at a local dining establishment)

Well, we once got about thirty people to do the Chicken Dance in a Denny's at 3 AM...

• Haha 9

This evening, my company had it's first after work social activity in months, pizza and kart racing!

Though my company has been doing this activity for three years now, this is the first time I've been in any sort of go kart in literally decades. There was enough of us to split us into two groups. Each group ran for a 5 minute practice run to get to know the outdoor course, then a second 10 minute bout.

Then they split the top and bottom half of each group for two other bouts for the best times. I didn't realize it, but the karts probably had GPS modules in them as we each had our total number of laps and best times.

I only went for the first race. It takes a while to really get a feel of how fast you can go and how much grip the tires had. My lap time definitely improved by the end, but it was intense enough that I felt completely drained, as if all my adrenaline got consumed in 15 minutes.

On the final race, one of the employees also took part. He voluntarily started in last position out of twelve, and after one turn he was already in fourth place. So yeah, he was used to it. A lot of us were watching him, taking mental notes at how he took the trickier turns, what his racing line was, etc.

Driving home in a normal height, power steering assisted vehicle felt weird for the first minute.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

ER with Mom today, chest pains. Sent her on to Vanderbilt, so will be up there again tomorrow. Don't really know what's up yet, but some concern. Meh.

• Sad 14

Never try to argue with a Dinosaur.

Our tortoise Samantha decided she wanted to get into the corner right next to where "Dusty" the oversized hockey puck in charge of sweeping the carpets and floors was unceremoniously bulldozed out of the way and its charging pad turned sideways so it couldn't get properly docked on its parking spot.

I ended up moving the docking station about a foot to the right of its normal position and Dusty then managed to get properly docked.

15 minutes later Samantha decided she wanted to go someplace else.:angry:

I've got one more trip to Cali. to have the house completely emptied out.  3 Wardrobe Boxes and my petrified wood collection, the outside part, where the pieces are each between 5 and 25 pounds each. still have to come off the trailer

GEM

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'm so tired I can't even edit a typo correctly.:upside:

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 9

Finally have gone about contacting the internet provider out here about changing the name on the bill to ours from his uncle's. I'm not sure how difficult it will be because his uncle passed about 2 1/2 years ago... I've been bugging people to get it done on occasion but now that we need to upgrade the internet it's more pressing. So I filled out their form and should either get a call or email, hoping the latter, about it soon.

• Like 8

Spectrum has given us a "courtesy call" to let us know their cable burial crew will be out tomorrow.

I hope that our monthly propane delivery happens next week instead of while the Spectrum crew is here, as they have to cross the cable route to get to our propane tank and they only schedule regular deliveries once a month for our area.

Such are the joys of setting up an entirely new residence in "the country".

GEM

Who managed to get all the petrified wood unloaded without my legs folding up.

• Like 9

Off in a few minutes for what will hopefully be the last load from Victorville, except for the storage unit which is going to have to wait till we get things squared away here in Stagecoach.

Y'all play nice, please?

GEM

• Like 9

Had caffeine way too late and I'm still wide awake. Should have been asleep like an hour and a half ago.

In other news, I got new fans for the hobby/game room today. They are nice and work very well. It did not feel like the 80F that the thermometer up there told me it was. I got a bunch of cleaning done. Should have taken some before pics. Hoping to eliminate some boxes and clear up some shelf space for other things. I did, however, find my bag of paints I am using for the current Frost Giant Queen. Hoping to finish her before RCon so if they have an online thing like last year I have something to enter. Small paintings aside, that and Grimtalon might be the only things I work on for a while. I /might/, and that's a very strong might, pick up my diorama and see about getting it into some state of finished.

• Like 9

@Marvin hope all will be well with your Mom.

@Green Eyed Monster too bad you had that break in, I hope you guys will be happy and safe at your new place.

Give Samantha an apple, she deserves it after such a recon mission.

Waiting for the locksmith to come over, let's hope things will be solved and not too expensive.

The laptop decided to fix itself somehow? While restarting the day before yesterday it told me it was repairing disk C ( the SSD) since I had some trouble before I contacted my nephew.

Went there yesterday, I already had tried the laptop again a few times and it suddenly behaved, nephew ran several programs to check the disk, no problems found all checks told us it's a healthy disk.

So I will wait and see how it behaves, so far it's working normally again.

I have the day off.

The locksmith will come and later today we will have our kitchen officially delivered.

That means the guy who sold it will come over to talk about how it all went if we're happy with it etc.

I figured I would be too distracted for actual work.

As for work, finally took the plunge. I opted for later (pre-)retirement.

Meaning instead of 3 years I will stick around for about 5 years ( it can be prolonged with a few months depending on the official retirement age that might go up or down in the future).

My greatest fear was not being able to find a position when needed again due to the reorganisation process we're in, but the Union I'm a member of told me not to worry, given my age, service years etc etc, there seem to be rules that means I either get that position or the Military will have to send me home with full pay till pre-retirement kicks in.

We decided it was worth it, it means a higher fixed income when I actually retire and I like my work.

And having two more years of full pay and benefits is a good thing.

What comes after that is too far away, I can still take up a side job when I go with pre-retirement by that time if I feel like it.

I want to thank everybody here who gave advice, listened to my rants about it, you people and critters are awesome!

• Like 13

So we caved on Prime day today. We originally weren't going to do any shopping but MIL suggested that he get some new pants and stuff that she would pay for. I threw some slippers into that order. She also had us buy a couple of security cameras that were on sale. Which led to the previous post about internet upgrade and what not.

A little earlier tonight I found a bunch of the makeup on my wish list on sale so got that so I can figure out what I want to do for an upcoming photo shoot with friend for some semi-professional head shots that my pro photographer friend will be doing next month.

I need to decide what I want to do with my hair though. I really want to get it cut shorter so I can dye it. Dark purple this time. I'm loving the blue I did but it's patchy on top so I'll just go dark and let it grow out again before I dye it again. Which shouldn't take terribly long. Need to figure out what, if anything, I want to do with it before Thursday. I plan on going in, if I do at all, and getting it done after therapy.

• Like 7

Locksmith fixed the problem, new lock ( not the cilinder I already got that) the inner lock.

Another €247 down the drain, but at least it's fixed.

• Like 9
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'd eat it.

nakchikchal.jpg.1813f2f1d3e282810b0f8ba3a33c58c7.jpg

You're a goblin. You eat all sorts of questionable things.::P:

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Off in a few minutes for what will hopefully be the last load from Victorville, except for the storage unit which is going to have to wait till we get things squared away here in Stagecoach.

Y'all play nice, please?

GEM

Have a safe trip.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What Happened Wednesday for June 23rd:

• 1314 – First War of Scottish Independence: The Battle of Bannockburn (south of Stirling) began.

• 1868 – Christopher Latham Sholes received a patent for an invention he called the "Type-Writer".

• 1991 – Sonic the Hedgehog was released in North America on the Sega Genesis platform, beginning the popular video game franchise.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2