Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm old and fat and they always put all the good nature too far from the parking lot. ūü•Ķ

Why am I picturing an old seagull that hangs around a McDonald's restaurant parking lot?

• Haha 15

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. A Reaper email was in my spam inbox with something about a message failure. I released it from the spam catcher to be deliver to my inbox so I can see what it is. Never showed. 

Oh well. Maybe it was spam then. Or an error. 

• Like 7

Ah, this call that I'm on right now started off so promising. 

Customer was (mostly) prepared, followed my instructions exactly, and all the reprogramming I had to do went smoothly.   Last step is to log into his site's router and make a network configuration change - but he can't figure out his password, and got locked out of the unit. Now he has to call his ISP to get their help. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

So, I may have not mentioned it much, but I volunteer as a little league umpire in my spare time.  Right now we're in the middle of our district all stars tournament.  I've been invited to the state tournament to umpire the Junior League level (That division is a full size 60/90 diamond and 13-14 year old players), so i'm trying to get on as many big field games to practice as possible.  Last night we had a small field umpire have to give up his slot on a 10 year old game, so I stepped in to cover the slot.
To hear the scoreboard tell it, it wasn't a pretty game.  22-0, we had to finish the third inning to get to the mercy rule.  Halfway into the first inning my hamstring cramped and I was limping around the field.  But what really impressed me was the loosing team seemed to keep heart, seemed to be enjoying themselves and focusing on practicing the small game even though they were loosing.  And actually made the three best plays of the game.  One a great throw home and tag by the catcher and another a solo double play by the 2nd baseman. 

The best one, though, sticks out because of how rare it is for me to see this play done correctly at this age level.  I've only seen it twice before and both were with the coach walking the team through it step by step from the dugout without the players understanding what was going on.  

For reference - When I'm the field umpire, one of my main responsibilities is to watch the runners and make a mental note that they touch every bag, especially on doubles/triples/home runs when they can miss it in their hurry to run the bases.  Very seldom is there a game that goes by where I don't make that mental note at least a couple of times.  However, missing a touch at a base only has a penalty if the defense catches it and appeals it correctly. Most of the time, it goes unnoticed by the defense and after the next pitch I put it out of my mind.  Older kids when they see it know what to do but the 10 year old age group almost never knows what to do, and when they do they always seem to mess up the appeal (to appeal a missed base, it must be before the next pitch, the ball must be 'live' and no errors may be committed, or they loose the penalty. 

Last night we had this come up.  No runners on.  batter hits a hard hit ball into the outfield. Fast runner and by the time the outfielders get to it and throw it back in he's already going home to score (Good o'le Little League Inside-The-Park-Home-Run).  as I'm on my way back to my position, I see the first baseman looking outraged, he looks at his coach and slaps both hands down on either side of the bag.  His coach says to him to "Hold on, wait for them to put the ball back in play, you know what to do."  The only other thing I hear him say is to yell to his pitcher to step off and look at first.
Pitcher steps off, looks at first baseman who is DEMANDING the baseball, pitcher tosses it to him, 1st base steps on the bag, looks at me and yells at the top of his lungs "HE MISSED THE BAG!  He went Here" [slaps the ground] "and here" [slaps ground on opposite side of bag] "But not here" [steps on bag again].  I nodded, signaled the out, and absolutely made his day  despite the fact that they were down by 11 runs at that point.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I ordered a hat that you are supposed to be able to wet and whatnot and it will keep you cool throughout the day. I got the package today. The company sent the free item that I knew I was getting but instead of hat I got socks...

• Confused 4
  • Sad 6

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Wow 37 years ago today Lady C and I got married! She is a doll and one of the kindest people I have ever met, God certainly blessed me with her.

Can someone explain to me why she keeps saying she's been happily married 5 years?

Congrats! My wife & I will mark our 24th in September this year.

8 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I'm confused on what the difference between Rabbit Food and Hamster food is....

The size of the pellets!!

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

So, I may have not mentioned it much, but I volunteer as a little league umpire in my spare time.  Right now we're in the middle of our district all stars tournament.  I've been invited to the state tournament to umpire the Junior League level (That division is a full size 60/90 diamond and 13-14 year old players), so i'm trying to get on as many big field games to practice as possible.  Last night we had a small field umpire have to give up his slot on a 10 year old game, so I stepped in to cover the slot.
To hear the scoreboard tell it, it wasn't a pretty game.  22-0, we had to finish the third inning to get to the mercy rule.  Halfway into the first inning my hamstring cramped and I was limping around the field.  But what really impressed me was the loosing team seemed to keep heart, seemed to be enjoying themselves and focusing on practicing the small game even though they were loosing.  And actually made the three best plays of the game.  One a great throw home and tag by the catcher and another a solo double play by the 2nd baseman. 

The best one, though, sticks out because of how rare it is for me to see this play done correctly at this age level.  I've only seen it twice before and both were with the coach walking the team through it step by step from the dugout without the players understanding what was going on.  

For reference - When I'm the field umpire, one of my main responsibilities is to watch the runners and make a mental note that they touch every bag, especially on doubles/triples/home runs when they can miss it in their hurry to run the bases.  Very seldom is there a game that goes by where I don't make that mental note at least a couple of times.  However, missing a touch at a base only has a penalty if the defense catches it and appeals it correctly. Most of the time, it goes unnoticed by the defense and after the next pitch I put it out of my mind.  Older kids when they see it know what to do but the 10 year old age group almost never knows what to do, and when they do they always seem to mess up the appeal (to appeal a missed base, it must be before the next pitch, the ball must be 'live' and no errors may be committed, or they loose the penalty. 

Last night we had this come up.  No runners on.  batter hits a hard hit ball into the outfield. Fast runner and by the time the outfielders get to it and throw it back in he's already going home to score (Good o'le Little League Inside-The-Park-Home-Run).  as I'm on my way back to my position, I see the first baseman looking outraged, he looks at his coach and slaps both hands down on either side of the bag.  His coach says to him to "Hold on, wait for them to put the ball back in play, you know what to do."  The only other thing I hear him say is to yell to his pitcher to step off and look at first.
Pitcher steps off, looks at first baseman who is DEMANDING the baseball, pitcher tosses it to him, 1st base steps on the bag, looks at me and yells at the top of his lungs "HE MISSED THE BAG!  He went Here" [slaps the ground] "and here" [slaps ground on opposite side of bag] "But not here" [steps on bag again].  I nodded, signaled the out, and absolutely made his day  despite the fact that they were down by 11 runs at that point.

As a New Orleans Saints football fan, I applaud your rule-keeper attitude!! 

8 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I ordered a hat that you are supposed to be able to wet and whatnot and it will keep you cool throughout the day. I got the package today. The company sent the free item that I knew I was getting but instead of hat I got socks...

Ummm how do you get "HAT" & "SOCKS" mixed up?? Then again, I see how our warehouse in Utah loads pallets for the company.....

AL Game night at the FLGS in about 2 hours!! I've decided to change out my character tonight & wait till we move into Tier 2. Since we didn't have a rogue, I decided to go with a bugbear rogue/assassin named Percival or "Percy" for short. Love the auto name generator in DnDBeyond when it comes to bugbear names.

Love the fact that I can do 1d8+3 + 4d6 & at 10 foot reach if I strike a creature that I have advantage on in the first round. I also have a +8 initiative bonus. Oh the hit is also a automatic crit hit, so roll that damage twice! :blues:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Took BD shopping.

They have a tiny coin operated merry go round, and both BD and me are small enough to share it. ::):

Fifty cents well.spent. ::D:

She is JUST big enough to push the kid sized shopping cart, and loved helping Mommy shop.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Ummm how do you get "HAT" & "SOCKS" mixed up?? Then again, I see how our warehouse in Utah loads pallets for the company.....

I know, right? I thought the package was much smaller than it should have been.

• Like 5

Short but fun night at the FLGS. I didn't play my rogue as bugbear is one of the races not allowed in AL. I should read the Player's Guide more....eh oh well. I ended up playing a firbolg druid instead. I'm a "of the Moon" druid but I didn't shape change during our 1 & only combat session. I mainly ended up going the spell route.

Ended up getting 30 bucks worth of Wizkids Unpainted figs on points, along with Chatterfang from the new MtG Modern 2 set after the session was over. Gotta love using 15 points & getting it for "free". Points for Magic singles are 1 pt = -1.00 off (no limit). I think I'll do the same for the rest of the squirrel themed cards.

• Like 8

Dang, since I leveled up my tabaxi bard from last week's adventure league game, she now uses d8s for her inspiration die. Normally I just pick out the ugliest combo of colors & use those to give to other players during the game. I decided to check out Pippd's site as I knew they stocked single dice (hmm contradiction there??), & I came across a Chessex color combination I'd love to get but it's only available in these D6s!! WHY!!!!:lol:

Vortex 20mm Big D6 Chessex Dice, 6 Pieces - Dandelion with White Pips

(it's a light green & black swirl pattern with white pips)

• Like 8