Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

19 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

That's a good question. There's an app called BirdNET that can analyze their call and give you an idea of what kind it is.

Thanks. It didn't make any sound. Swooped by us about 50 ft away and took up the perch on the street lamp.  Sun was going down so pics aren't  the best.  We have a lot of predator birds around.  There's some nesting bald eagles in a park in town.  Magnificent to see.  I'm leaning toward this one being a red-tailed hawk, because it doesn't look like any of the other raptors likely to live in this area. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Thanks. It didn't make any sound. Swooped by us about 50 ft away and took up the perch on the street lamp.  Sun was going down so pics aren't  the best.  We have a lot of predator birds around.  There's some nesting bald eagles in a park in town.  Magnificent to see.  I'm leaning toward this one being a red-tailed hawk, because it doesn't look like any of the other raptors likely to live in this area. 

Quite possible, it looks like one with a juvenile morph.

• Like 4

I wonder if anyone here plays flight sims?

Cause i do.

Of course i notice my entry level joystick seems to work ok on the small planes, on the big planes like the Boeing 777 and such i seem to lose control of the plane with the joystick.

• Like 6
On 7/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, SparrowMarie said:

My pupper may be in his final days. He's about 13. He's a good boy.

Wishing you strength, always a tough time.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Today I am a physical wreck from the abuse I subjected my body to.

On top of that, we've been having trouble with the pilot light on the water heater going out and when I tried to relight it [again] this morning the thing decided to blow back on my face.  Very much an unhappy camper about that happening and I was immediately on the phone with Craftsman Homes about this latest problem.  Was told the woman who is supposed to handle these situations was out of the office and the Sales Manager would be calling me soonest.

When he called he asked how I was and I told him I was a most unhappy customer and then explained the situation.  He said he would have a man here by 1:30 to install a wind cap on the vent stack as that sounded like it was the cause of the problem.  Guy is here, he also took a look at the leaking kitchen sink faucet, which has been turned off for over two weeks while "waiting for parts".  He says he will be taking the leaking faucet off, going to Home Depot and obtaining a replacement and installing that later today.  FINALLY, somebody with some common sense who actually understands what Customer Service actually means.

Going to have to take another round of pain meds just so I can manage a trip to the credit union and the grocery store.

I have determined that I am officially Too Old to subject my body to the sort of abuse it had to endure the last half or June.

On a slightly happier note, AC here is working a treat, the heavier insulation in the walls and roof mean it isn't running more than 20 minutes an hour with outside temps in the high 90s, and electricity is much more affordable through Nevada Energy than the mercenary blood suckers at SoCal Edison.

Good to hear someone finally takes action.

Hope you'll feel well again soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 7/2/2021 at 9:22 AM, Glitterwolf said:

@Kuroneko Welcome back!

Hope you'll be well!

Thank you, it's kind of a work in progress. I'm determined to get back to normal soon! 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, Chaoswolf said:

@Glitterwolf---I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news.

@Kuroneko---No need to apologize, if you wish to maintain privacy, that's certainly your right. ::):

@ everyone else---I hope you have a good weekend and manage to find some relief from the heat.

I'm not normally one to be secretive, but yeah, this whole shebang definitely falls into the 'need to know' category. Not feeling so good today, but hopefully I'm on the upwards trend.

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Went for a walk after dinner, spotted this fellow.  Any ornithologists or birdwatchers here? 

20210703_202333.jpg.702dd03427387fc3251e9b0f9818f892.jpg

My North American bird ID isn't that great, but my guess would be a Coopers Hawk. Maybe @TaleSpinner or @Thoramel  could help? 

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

That's a good question. There's an app called BirdNET that can analyze their call and give you an idea of what kind it is.

BirdNET is awesome! I'm terrible with warbler songs so it's a fantastic resource when you're standing next to the undergrowth trying to find one tiny, drab bird to ID.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wishing you strength, always a tough time.

Good to hear someone finally takes action.

Hope you'll feel well again soon.

Thanks.

I'm slowly recuperating.  Told my wife not to expect me to do much of anything for the next week.  My "big project" for yesterday was moving the desk I intend to use for hobbying from the family room where everything got packed and stacked by the movers into my office and positioned under the north facing windows.

Big project for today is going to be to drive to Reno and investigate a well recommended BBQ joint.

It seems that the troubleshooter for Craftsman Homes has fixed the problems with the water heater and the leaking kitchen sink faucet.  He replaced the entire faucet assembly and installed a different stack on the water heater.  We'll know for sure if the water heater is actually fixed the next "Washoe Zephyr" that blows through.

My complaint with the builder is that they don't seem to understand the concept of quality control procedures and how to eliminate the customer from seeing most of these factory slip ups from being seen when the buyer accepts delivery and does the walk through.  Unfortunately, it's a sellers market and they've had it all their way for too many years.

They are actually costing themselves money by having to have a crew of people running all over Northern Nevada just to take care of these problems as the customer discovers them.  Talking to the guys who actually do the work, many of these problems are known defects from the factory, problems that if put on a check list and if inspected during the setup work could be dealt with while a crew is already on site.

Maybe I don't see things from the right perspective but my many years in business for myself ingrained in me the necessity for certain procedures to minimize extra work, catch problems early while they are more easily managed, and to try to anticipate fumbles that are inevitable when dealing with equipment subject to abuse by the public.

GEM

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

sigh... I had a long post and had to stop before I posted, because the wife just needed the drill. Had to find where it got moved to. ........ come back and post is gone....

I have painted myself in a corner and could use some friendly advice.  My last post I may have mentioned that I just bought the Dragon Heist for 5e, because well I love Waterdeep and Undermountain both. As a younger person I had most everything I could find on Waterdeep and Undermountain.  I have always wanted to run an adventure in that city and it's mega-dudgeon below it's streets. My issue is well. I have only played one game of 5e. Not a bad system, but I have falling in love with GURPS. and while 'converting' it over to GURPS would not be a huge deal, but I still want to run my fantasy world campaign as well. and three games would take more time and energy that I have.  I have my GURPS Traveller game, My kids fantasy has fallen to the wayside, I still want to run a fantasy campaign set in my world and while yes, I could drop Waterdeep and the surrounding area into my world, it would still be three games. Then add in the fact that I would still like to run a Post Apocalyptic game... I also have to factor in the fact that, While I love GURPS, only a couple of people seem to want to play and I am not just talking here, so there is a part of me that says just do the Waterdeep in 5E.......  however, I have little XP with 5e.. yes I come from the older line.. I still have a retro clone that I love.. anyways I see that I have written a paragraph again.. 

When I was playing in a university club, we'd play games fortnightly and be swapping games week to week. With different DMs, but wouldn't have to be. That mightbe a possibility for you...

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Thanks.

I'm slowly recuperating.  Told my wife not to expect me to do much of anything for the next week.  My "big project" for yesterday was moving the desk I intend to use for hobbying from the family room where everything got packed and stacked by the movers into my office and positioned under the north facing windows.

Big project for today is going to be to drive to Reno and investigate a well recommended BBQ joint.

It seems that the troubleshooter for Craftsman Homes has fixed the problems with the water heater and the leaking kitchen sink faucet.  He replaced the entire faucet assembly and installed a different stack on the water heater.  We'll know for sure if the water heater is actually fixed the next "Washoe Zephyr" that blows through.

My complaint with the builder is that they don't seem to understand the concept of quality control procedures and how to eliminate the customer from seeing most of these factory slip ups from being seen when the buyer accepts delivery and does the walk through.  Unfortunately, it's a sellers market and they've had it all their way for too many years.

They are actually costing themselves money by having to have a crew of people running all over Northern Nevada just to take care of these problems as the customer discovers them.  Talking to the guys who actually do the work, many of these problems are known defects from the factory, problems that if put on a check list and if inspected during the setup work could be dealt with while a crew is already on site.

Maybe I don't see things from the right perspective but my many years in business for myself ingrained in me the necessity for certain procedures to minimize extra work, catch problems early while they are more easily managed, and to try to anticipate fumbles that are inevitable when dealing with equipment subject to abuse by the public.

GEM

Maybe they know that most people won't bother them with the issues (maybe not knowing who they should get to fix it) and have calculated that it's cheaper to send another crew out for the (e.g.) 10% who complain than to fix it for everyone...

• Like 6

Sunday stroll through history for July 4th:

• 993 – Ulrich of Augsburg was canonized as a saint, notable as he was the first saint to be canonized not by a local authority but by the Pope.

• 1892 – Western Samoa changed the International Date Line by adopting the American date (3 hours behind California) instead of the Asian date (4 hours ahead of Japan), causing Monday (July 4) to occur twice, resulting in a year with 367 days.

• 1951 – William Shockley announced the invention of the junction transistor.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
11 hours ago, Inarah said:

Went for a walk after dinner, spotted this fellow.  Any ornithologists or birdwatchers here? 

20210703_202333.jpg.702dd03427387fc3251e9b0f9818f892.jpg

Could be an American Kestrel?

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Well, we survived the party! Great time was had by all 19 folks here, How on Earth we had leftovers after 11 teenagers, but we did.

Anyways, Happy Independence Day!

I shudder to think of how much all that food must have cost, teenagers are very good at eating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Well today is the traditional Holiday of Treason.   

and tomorrow I leave on a trip to visit the in-Laws in Idaho.  sigh.  I really want to paint minis instead of drive 8-12 hours a day. 

- I wonder if I could put together a traveling paint kit, and if it would be consider rude by the wife, or her parents. 

so today is celebrating and packing, then staying up too late to watch the sky explode. 

Festively Exploding sky is always pretty.   

I used to live in a three story townhouse, on a hill, above an open field.  the view of exploding sky was terrific and the floor show - where 1000 people drove their cars out into the big field, and then tried to al leave at the same time, in the dark  was always a good time.   We still own it but I don't think the renters would appreciate us showing up and wanting to watch from the balcony off the bedroom.  also having to drive over there ruins alot of the post-party show. 

What was/is your favorite place to watch explosions? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10

No American fireworks show has held a candle to the international fireworks competition that Vancouver usually holds in August. Not happening this year due to lack of prep time during BC's reopening and wasn't going last year... but wow.

3 shows over 3 nights over the bay, set to a theme and music (usually can't hear music tbh). 30mins for each show. Gotta get to the beach 5hrs ahead of time to get a good place to watch if you are short. Friggin amazing shows.

Setting off my own fireworks? Over Pyramid Lake in Nevada - nothing to set on fire and away from people and animals who may be bothered. 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Well today is the traditional Holiday of Treason.   

and tomorrow I leave on a trip to visit the in-Laws in Idaho.  sigh.  I really want to paint minis instead of drive 8-12 hours a day. 

- I wonder if I could put together a traveling paint kit, and if it would be consider rude by the wife, or her parents. 

so today is celebrating and packing, then staying up too late to watch the sky explode. 

Sounds like a long day.  Maybe you could get a few figures cleaned and prepped in the evening as you wind down from the excitement. 

My favorite fireworks shows were the ones we walked to as kids.  One place we lived we could walk down the street to the community ball park and lay on the grass outside the fence.   Another year we spent the summer with grandparents and walked several blocks to the local high school and saw them in the field there.   Those were the best.   Second best, when I lived in San Antonio we'd climb up on the roof of the house and watch from there. We could see the whole city light up.  Everything I've been to recently has been a drive, a long line of cars, parking in a field a mile away, too much loud music, sunburn, and a two hour wait to get out of the parking lot afterward. 

• Like 8
33 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

In a foxhole a very safe distance away.::P:

To actually answer the spirit of the question: right after I got out of the Navy, I was living in Groton, CT. We could walk about 2 blocks and get a front row seat to the show that took place over the Thames river. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2