Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

1x40mm sights are absolutely bonkers huge, doubly so on smaller cameras....

 

20210706_125623.thumb.jpg.93c9e849be8fc85b71c3de6aa4b10281.jpg

 

On the plus side, this will hopefully allow for aiming at deep sky objects to be a lot easier, because it's an unmagnified view, compared to the 100-300mm f4-5.6 II lens that's used up front when doing astrophotography.  Looks absolutely enormous on my Lumix G85 though, and will look just as enormous when I eventually upgrade to the G95 (or slightly less massive if I get the G9, since that's a relatively large camera in and of itself).

 

Naturally, true to form, we not only have forest fire smoke in the air, but a good amount of cloud in the forecast and even rain for tonight...

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Huh, it wasn't just chilhood memories.

 

Watermelon with SEEDS really DOES taste better!

 

The trade off WASN'T worth it. Seedy is just BETTER.

 

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

I have rediscovered my love of watermelon.

 

Grump has promised to show me a trick for boozy watermelon. ::):

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

1x40mm sights are absolutely bonkers huge, doubly so on smaller cameras....

 

20210706_125623.thumb.jpg.93c9e849be8fc85b71c3de6aa4b10281.jpg

 

On the plus side, this will hopefully allow for aiming at deep sky objects to be a lot easier, because it's an unmagnified view, compared to the 100-300mm f4-5.6 II lens that's used up front when doing astrophotography.  Looks absolutely enormous on my Lumix G85 though, and will look just as enormous when I eventually upgrade to the G95 (or slightly less massive if I get the G9, since that's a relatively large camera in and of itself).

 

Naturally, true to form, we not only have forest fire smoke in the air, but a good amount of cloud in the forecast and even rain for tonight...

Sounds about right, the new gear-cloud cover equivalency.

 

I've seen guys use things like rifle reflex sights and even telrads on their cameras before.

 

Incidentally, those kind of sights are sometimes used to catch birds in flight with long focal lengths and continuous shutters too.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorta toasty around here.

Temps were supposed to top out at 102 F.

House is holding at 79 F, with no awnings or trees to provide a shade/sunbreak.

Once we get a few trees planted things should be very comfortable inside, no matter what the temps outside.

Just set up trash service, which means we are completely up and running in the new digs.  Now for the mountain of boxes to be unpacked and furniture to be placed in its initial final position.

Next task is preparing an inventory of the stuff that was stolen.  The loss of my best airbrush and two Dremel tools hurts but not as much as loosing my Think Geek Con Bag with the Reaper Logo Velcro patch on the side, several sets of Kickstarter dice in an embroidered bag, and the rolls of silver quarters and dimes that were in the bottom of the bag.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Sad 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

 

Grump has promised to show me a trick for boozy watermelon. ::):

 

I used to have a recipe for fruit salad that required a fifth of vodka...

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Rough day today. 

Eldest left for boot camp - lots of tears at the airport. 

He'll do just fine.

I know this doesn't make the separation anxiety any less difficult but we're all here for you, and cheering for your son.

He's going to have many "interesting" experiences over the next few weeks, sort of like living an RPG Adventure where the dice will hardly ever give you a "good roll".  But he will get through it and he will be a better person for it.

GEM

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your edition of What Happened Wednesday for July 7th:

  • 1911 – The United States, UK, Japan, and Russia signed the North Pacific Fur Seal Convention of 1911 banning open-water seal hunting, the first international treaty to address wildlife preservation issues.

  • 1928 – Sliced bread was sold for the first time (on the inventor's 48th birthday) by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri.

  • 1985 – Boris Becker became the youngest player ever to win Wimbledon at age 17.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Rough day today. 

Eldest left for boot camp - lots of tears at the airport. 

 

He'll do well I'm sure!

You can be proud of him!

 

11 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sorta toasty around here.

Temps were supposed to top out at 102 F.

House is holding at 79 F, with no awnings or trees to provide a shade/sunbreak.

Once we get a few trees planted things should be very comfortable inside, no matter what the temps outside.

Just set up trash service, which means we are completely up and running in the new digs.  Now for the mountain of boxes to be unpacked and furniture to be placed in its initial final position.

Next task is preparing an inventory of the stuff that was stolen.  The loss of my best airbrush and two Dremel tools hurts but not as much as loosing my Think Geek Con Bag with the Reaper Logo Velcro patch on the side, several sets of Kickstarter dice in an embroidered bag, and the rolls of silver quarters and dimes that were in the bottom of the bag.

GEM

 

Worst part is that the thieves probably don't realise what they got and such memorabilia may end up dumped somewhere.

I simply hate criminals..

12 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I have rediscovered my love of watermelon.

 

Grump has promised to show me a trick for boozy watermelon. ::):

 

I can help with that.

 

STEP ONE

Dunk Chunks of Watermelon into Rum

 

STEP TWO

Shake it all about

 

STEP THREE

Remove Watermelon

 

STEP FOUR

Drink the Rum.

 

OPTIONAL:

SKIP STEP ONE to THREE, Proceed immediately with STEP FOUR.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 3, I'm almost able to walk normally again, though I find myself leaning weird to take pressure off parts of my back that  makes my hips protest a little. I feel like I've still got a bad crick in my back. Neck is still stiff and twinges at weird times but I can mostly move it full range if I go slow.  My trapezius is worst and has spasmed on me a few times, and several of the muscles in my shoulder don't like me much if I don't support my arm on the desk or arm of the couch.

 

Mrs Wulf says i'm no longer allowed to do dirt trails and have to stick to flat, paved areas when riding my bike. 

 

  • Sad 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I have rediscovered my love of watermelon.

 

Grump has promised to show me a trick for boozy watermelon. ::):

 

I didnt realize it was a trick.  you cut a 1 inch hole in the watermelon.  you plug a bottle of vodka (vanilla or pineapple flavored were favorites but straight works just as well) roll the watermelon until the bottle is vertical and wait about 15 minutes for the bottle to drain into the watermelon.  A big watermelon can take up to a gallon that way.  It is sort of fun watching the watermelon drink the bottle and I have noticed (in the past) that the seeded watermelons take more booze than the unseeded variety.  Favorite summer party melon.  just dont forget to have a separate one for the kids!

 

 

  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

 

 

I didnt realize it was a trick.  you cut a 1 inch hole in the watermelon.  you plug a bottle of vodka (vanilla or pineapple flavored were favorites but straight works just as well) roll the watermelon until the bottle is vertical and wait about 15 minutes for the bottle to drain into the watermelon.  A big watermelon can take up to a gallon that way.  It is sort of fun watching the watermelon drink the bottle and I have noticed (in the past) that the seeded watermelons take more booze than the unseeded variety.  Favorite summer party melon.  just dont forget to have a separate one for the kids!

 

 

That's the trick!

 

Purple Those grow naturally in Eberron, you know! /Purple

 

Next outdoor dinner game we have the boozemelon. ::P:

 

Probably the Cops Game, boozemelon doesn't seem very Norse. :lol:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

fur-niture.jpg.6200c30d112e01849bd83caa83883db2.jpg

 

I thought that was Brutus for a minute. My sister's rotten beagle has taught my German Shepherd to get on the couch. I bought a queen sized bed as much for my cat as for me. Milo used to sit on the dog carrier in front of the window, but since Lilly hasn't slept in the dog box for over a year, we got rid of it and bought a bigger bed. Anyone who has a cat knows they are fully capable of taking up the same amount of volume as a standard sized human. That squishing into a cardboard box thing is totally a ruse. 

  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...