Bright Copper Kettles: Rigel makes a miniature Still

Had this idea rattling around for a while, but got the push to start it just recently, upon finding a shiny dollhouse kettle at the local craft supply store and getting some very nice airbrushable Vallejo metallics.
Why not make a copper distillation apparatus out of a Ping-Pong ball?

The materials:
DSCN9487.thumb.JPG.6a5b5391e98b9a2c7e593c4b62e8ec2f.JPG

Used some very thin craft masking tape to make some seams that will have rivets painted on later. Also cannibalized a dollhouse candelabra for some parts.

DSCN9488.thumb.JPG.75abdb6eba42db77caf06767429d8368.JPG

Painted the ball and a plastic ring to join some parts together:

DSCN9508.thumb.JPG.5d09fd28cf5effcd1bcf6a6cb73e9043.JPG

and glued the kettle and some stubby eyelet legs on.

DSCN9509.thumb.JPG.861d88eb9b6ca04c58c551da444cf091.JPG

That's as far as I've gotten so far; C&C or some tips would be welcome! My plan is not developed beyond 'glue things on until it looks right' but if you have good ideas I'm here for them!

• Like 8
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like one of those fiddly little constructs that would be a nightmare to assemble (tweezers required!), and require great care when handling and storing (don't want any little bits to fall off!) but would definitely command my attention if I saw such a delicate piece in a miniature scene.  🙂  I look forward to see where you go with it!  (Would be nice to see a mini for scale....)

• Like 2
On 5/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, Jordan Peacock said:

This looks like one of those fiddly little constructs that would be a nightmare to assemble (tweezers required!), and require great care when handling and storing (don't want any little bits to fall off!) but would definitely command my attention if I saw such a delicate piece in a miniature scene.  🙂  I look forward to see where you go with it!  (Would be nice to see a mini for scale....)

Well, you're not wrong about the bits falling off--accidentally smashed it last night while trying to readjust one of the copper tubes. But we rebuild! 
Thank you for the kind words, and here you go with a moonshining hillbilly for scale! I also got a marble and an eyelet to make a collecting vessel. 
It looks like there must be multiple interior chambers and a couple of multiple-distillation loops. Just need to weather it and paint some rivets on. 

DSCN9559.JPG

DSCN9560.JPG

DSCN9561.JPG

DSCN9562.JPG

• Like 4