Heroforge steel paint commission

So a friend of one of my gaming buddies wanted a Heroforge mini painted, so I agreed to do it. I have done a few in the past, and thinking it should be no problem. Those have been the plastic or premium plastic, but when I was given the piece, it was the steel version. It is solid and will not break, very tough, but very rough texture. I did not try anything to try to smooth out because I think I will remove any details it has on it. Note-the mini looked more detailed/less textured than the sample steel minis on the Heroforge site (glad for that). So, let's see how it goes...

This is what I am trying to get to:

Reduced.png.107486db4e7115832fefd0c8f072a1dd.png

Raw mini-

SirARoughFront.jpg.045268185aeb62a241093c5f2f04f19c.jpg

SirARoughBack.jpg.7937e1a91500b6e35347fc03c363c330.jpg

Primed with Tamiya Fine Lt Grey (texture is not from the primer, that is the steel)

SirAPrimedFrt.thumb.jpg.349b0f8f9f3160dfbad7e6736e45dffd.jpg

Bit worried at this point as the priming brought out the roughness of the surface and how the details were not very crisp. I did have the HF image to paint to for help on what should be where.

Put some base paint down. Typically I would do one or two thin coats and start layering or wet blending depending on the feature/part of the mini. This has two or three down in most places and with the rough texture, it seems to suck the paint down and get a faded look. More like the paint is settling in, and the highpoints of the rough steel color coming thru. It will take another layer or two before I start my layering, glazing or blending. In thinking on it, it may be more simple layering that I will do on this.

SirABaseFrt.jpg.b0c47f436f630b83cbf1c869fbfe405e.jpg

SirABaseBck.jpg.539215bcd98124ad3e4cadee6590a38d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

I’d try painting the whole thing with brush on sealer.  A coat or two.  Then try basecoats again.

Yes, I saw suggestions on rough surfaces by putting gloss spray/sealers on to smooth it out. I didn't as I was afraid of loosing any detail that it had. So, I guess I could do it and if it wipes out all detail (like on eye/hair/sword) with out significant reduction in roughness, I could try to strip and do again... that's that worst that could happen right...?

• Like 3

To be honest I don't understand why someone buys that.

There are so many crisp files and minis out there.

And these Heroforge Steel ones aren't cheap either.

• Thanks 4
1 hour ago, golldan said:

Yes, I saw suggestions on rough surfaces by putting gloss spray/sealers on to smooth it out. I didn't as I was afraid of loosing any detail that it had. So, I guess I could do it and if it wipes out all detail (like on eye/hair/sword) with out significant reduction in roughness, I could try to strip and do again... that's that worst that could happen right...?

You will probably Lose some detail, but it might be worth it. That texture is pretty severe.

if you have a brush-on gloss varnish, you could test the process on a big flat area of his coat. Targeted repairs for the sword, coat, and face might go a long way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had bought a steel mini from heroforge.  I couldn't make it look appealing because of the texture.  Even gap filling primer was unable to get me even a remotely smooth surface.  I wish you luck and hope you find something that works you can share.

• Like 4

I painted one of these for a player. I cringed when I gave it over, as it was rough and I am not a great painter to start. However, the player loved it - it was what they wanted and they did not notice the texture or my painting troubles. 

I would never buy one of the metal heroforge for myself though. 

• Like 4

This one did seem to be better than the older/examples they show on line, so I think it is some improvement. It is solid and will last with the worst Ogre using it during play.

I did go ahead and used AV brush-on gloss varnish. I started doing just some, and just gave it all a coat. For the open cloth and armor areas I let dry and did x3 coats. I think this will work and hopefully will look better once I get a layer of paint down over it. I will just have to paint in back some of the details lost. Like you said @Iridil hopefully they just see their character in there and not all the stuff we might see 🙂

GlossFrtseem.thumb.jpg.91de7e2af5dc504a0b4f4f84280e6243.jpg

glossbk.thumb.jpg.4896f68d70666f9d1e2a2b119ef5df99.jpg

glossfrt.thumb.jpg.9b23242c0b84523fe4c0b831cd80f147.jpg

• Like 3

Put some paint down over the gloss brush on... better. I will need to ramp up my skills and paint him now. Wish me luck!

Orig on Left - After gloss coats on Right.

SirABaseBck.jpg.376e2df44bf981c049db97624c9233a4.jpg373196394_sira.thumb.jpg.817106b2f7486e9c18011f838885cf2f.jpg

• Like 4

Couldn't sleep last night, so finished him up. Put some clear coat on him this morning... Done. I am happy how he turned out - thanks for for the recommendation and suggestions/push to put down the coat/s of gloss varnish, it really helped.

SirAelor1.jpg.709f650dc71a86dafe33c7ef5f94fd9f.jpg

SirAelor2.jpg.ab6ad4e15a4bb284d8a3a00ece56b614.jpg

SirAelor4.jpg.9f66567c5d160b4ab05c083cb405bb1a.jpg

SirAelor5.jpg.0bfffcd94c23436f8db90a3f45557df7.jpg

SirAelor6.jpg.10fa0ece99d37dc9e8387ba8f23a04aa.jpg

• Like 9