Your opinions on Dwarven Forge Terrain?

Grumpy Gnome

The Dwarven Forge pieces are beautiful but my reasoning for avoiding them is different than most. 

I don't like the walls. 

They restrict the bases that can fit, and they require having just the right pieces to make various configurations. 

My go to are the Stones Dungeon Tiles from Frontline Gaming that featured in a couple of the Bones Kickstarters.  With no walls, they are far quicker to set up/tear down, and easier to store. 

• Like 3

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

The Dwarven Forge pieces are beautiful but my reasoning for avoiding them is different than most. 

I don't like the walls. 

They restrict the bases that can fit, and they require having just the right pieces to make various configurations. 

My go to are the Stones Dungeon Tiles from Frontline Gaming that featured in a couple of the Bones Kickstarters.  With no walls, they are far quicker to set up/tear down, and easier to store. 

a lot depends on what you are looking for.  Its a balance of reality vision and imagination.  I like to show off the pieces and i like my final battles to be showpieces but I still have the most fun with paper and pencil, working out the maps and letting the dungeon world grow inside my head.  

OTOH those walls let me give a much creepier vibe when i am running more of a horror theme as the players are jockeying for the position of not being in the front or last in line 

• Like 2

I have had only one problem on the DF forums (a personality conflict with another user) and it got sorted….eventually, and without mod support unfortunately. But other than that it has actually been pretty supportive towards my numerous questions. Ah, wait a moment, yeah there was that thread where I tried to get mould lines addressed and that was not the most helpful either. Still, the DF forums have been largely helpful although confusing to navigate.

The delays on the Wildlands KS are painful but that is the state of the world these days.

• Like 1

i really wish they would provide wiring diagrams for the ones that have lighting.  some of the crystal caverns are pretty but i have lights that dont work in them.  I dont want the bother of sending them back to DF but if they could provide diagrams as to how they are wired, i could fix loose connections and replace bad bulbs.  a few of the crystal caverns pieces have two circuits in them with some common wiring.  it makes diagnosis difficult and getting DF to admit to even sending a bad battery or telling you what indicates a low battery (the piece flickers red and will not respond to the remote, if anyone is interested...) is very difficult

I have always loved their stuff and have bought quite a bit of the dwarvenite (the first forest stuff they did was just out of this world.  I love it and use it almost constantly as either gaming or display background.  But, in all honesty, it has become too expensive for met to justify getting more.  Not everyone shares my view but, until either the kickstart prices or the list price drops, i have all of their stuff that i am going to get.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grumpy Gnome said:

We were hesitant to buy unpainted originally because we read it was a fussy material to paint but we found it to be ok once we tried… and buying unpainted saves a lot of money, even if it then costs you more time.

Its a question of what you have more of, money or time.  I have really enjoyed painting the unpainted sets i got and the paint does stand up to a lot of abuse but, even painting the small sets well can be time consuming.  either way its a good product, just pricey.  I wish it was about half the cost.

• Like 2