A-Pork-a-Lyptic BBQ Diner (3D misprint-conversion fun)

48c1f54dd8f9006f8db975f5d54e1fcf35e33237

3D-printer model -- model design by Matthew Rumsey; model 3D-printed by Chris Thesing.  In addition to the basic model (a very simplistic depiction of the style of "Drumlin Diner" found all over the Boston area in Fallout 4) I was given an extra section of roof that was the result of a misprint.  I used some foam (lots of sanding) and epoxy putty to transform it into an extension of the main rooftop, so I'd have an overhang for a drive-through window.

The model is very basic in that there's no included furniture, there are doorways on each side (but no doors), and there's no clear place to put anything like counters, seating, etc.  However, it's pretty sturdy and solid, and has a nice slotting setup so that the roof can set down solidly on top, or be lifted off for access to the interior for placing minis.

505d37dad765f45cc8dd943f0869b4405ca05cb9

It also didn't have anything in the way of signage, but I worked on that.  DCWV 1/2" tall letterboard lettering was just about perfect for the front sign (for me to put "DINER" up front with 3D letters).  I used a scrap piece left over from converting my Pixar Cars "Flo's V8 Cafe" playset to serve as the main part of the sign, then used some more letterboard letters (plus some leftover lasercut wooden ones) to make the "APORKALYPTIC BBQ" lettering (over a painted mushroom cloud, for that oh-so-subtle touch).  On top is a pig from the Safari Ltd "Down on the Farm Toob."  The top "Aporkalyptic BBQ" sign part can be removed, so I can just use this as a "generic" diner, or put some other branding in its place for variety.  (Eventually I suppose I'll need to make some complementary signage out front.)

• Like 18

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to get the look of the "pieced-together panels" texture of the diners in Fallout 4, but the model has a fairly smooth rooftop.  In order to get the "panel" look, I used some misprinted laser-printed labels -- they would normally be trash, but, hey, they're still sticky, and a sticker has a bit of THICKNESS, so I just tried cutting sections out and adhering them to the surface on fairly flat or simply-curved places (definitely not the rounded rooftop corners), and then painting over everything.

fdf2e2323dc453e06b6ff7aea02dbe5abffefa94

For the interior, I had a few messed-up pieces that I think were meant for couches and tabletops.  The couches were simple enough shapes that I used some epoxy putty to gap-fill and build them out, and the tabletops I affixed to the walls with some leftover MDF "sprue" sections (that is, the thin spindly "frame" sections left over from punching the laser-cut pieces out) that gave me some convenient right angles and enough surface to apply some glue.

I turned one of the doorways into a drive-through window by cutting a block of "pink-stuff" foam, then using strips of cardboard to try to replicate something of the framing structure of the panels around the walls of the building, and to add a drive-through window countertop.  Part of the counter is a 3D printed Modiphius piece, but I built up the rest of the corner space with some pink-stuff foam (carving out space for a sink and some food warmers), using wire for a faucet, and some scrap plastic straw for the food warmer (half-cylinder) covers, and some blister plastic for a splatter-shield for the wash and cooking area.

I built a little mystery food-processor/drink-dispenser/who-knows-what gizmo at the end of the counter from the finger-twist-handle part of a broken wind-up toy, and a random 40K part I used for the topper.  What does it do?  Who knows?  But it's a retro-futuristic diner, and there's hardly any space for food prep, so I'll just have to assume it does the job of several other kitchen items, thanks to SCIENCE.

(And where are the bathrooms?  Or the pantry?  Or the kitchen?  Or an office?  Bah.  It's not like Fallout 4 bothered with that for any of THEIR diners.  So in the future, we just don't need such things, or past a certain point, it's an abstraction.)

b70d3f8927f364de5734e26821c23665c8e91c27

Lastly, the drive-through.  The diner building had to be printed in sections, and I was having a real challenge getting the pieces to stay together, PLUS I needed some sort of drive-through lane (and something to support the overhang), so I ended up using a Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes" tile (I had a bunch of extra damaged "foundation" boards from a SWM "flash sale" clearing the things out), Dremeling out sections at the end and reattaching them with some putty to create slight ramps to get in and out.  I found some Power City construction sets (a knock-off or reprint or who-knows-what of the old classic "Girder and Panel" plastic construction sets) and used a couple of plugs and girders to make some support posts that I can plug in or remove as needed (for transport/storage).

• Like 22

Here's the link for the model on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820529 

(Designer: "Urlock_Gaur," AKA Matthew Rumsey.)  IMHO, this model works well with PLA filament.  The pieces don't really need rafts (since both roof and main body are flat-bottomed), but it could still use some supports for the windows, doorway, and outer ledges/counters.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, Rigel said:

Beautiful work! Love the detailing. Is "Aporkalyptic" from Fallout, or your own joke? 

It's something I made up.  Not ALL businesses in the Fallout universe reference nuclear power or "foreshadow" that the world's going to blow up in a nuclear apocalypse, but quite a few do.  Along those lines, I've been straining to come up with goofy names for made-up businesses.  In particular, one of my mini-goals was to use up all the oddball out-of-scale figures that came with a "Down on the Farm Toob" I picked up at JoAnn Fabric (or two of them, actually -- needed two cow heads to make a Brahmin!). 

The chickens were used as mascots for a joint I named "Bomber Wing."  The pig?  Uhm ... something pork-related -- aha!  APORKALYPSE!  Or APORKALYPTIC BBQ.  I figure I'll make a roadside sign for the place as well, and use the second oversized pig atop that.

The horses, cows, and mini-tractor were close enough to 32mm scale that I used them for minis.  (Cows to make Brahmin, horses as semi-apocryphal conveyance for a caravan wagon or two, mini-tractor to be a mini-tractor.)

The oversized farmer and under-sized barn are going to be used for a weird chem outlet called "PHARMO BARN."  It's not nuclear-themed at all, but "chems" seem to really be a Fallout phenomenon, so I figured some roadside business ought to fit that theme.  (Plus, I've got an incomplete tiny Plasticville "barn" model that I figured I could incorporate into a facade for the building.)  I've just got to think of some sort of catchy slogan for the place.  A rhyme would be nice, but nothing's quite clicking.  Something-something, "here at the Pharm!"

There's also a little hay bale in the set, but I'm not sure what to do with two small hay bales.  Into the pointless scatter pile!  Maybe set them out in front of a roadside merchant stall, and use them as something to set wares atop.

I've been straining to think of a few other "fast food" company names. My original intent was that I could "genericize" a couple of diner / fast food / store buildings, and then create more variety by swapping out signs to put out front by the road, and atop the roof.  Now it's Bomber Wing!  Now it's Radiation King!  Now it's RobCo!  Etc.  However, I've got so many "diner / fast-food" buildings now that it's probably overkill.  AND YET ... it's still kind of fun to make more signage.  🙂

I need to do more really retro stuff, though, like big "L-curve" arrows lined with "lights," etc.

• Like 4