Deep Cuts Elf Paladin - I hate this mini so much

The mini that in conjunction with some gaming frustration stopped me from doing all 13 minis I planned last weekend. I hate it so much because everything is in the way of each other.

The absolute clowns at Wizkids obviously just posed their usual library of 3D renders and were like "good enough, sell it!" without considering the difficulties that could arise from painting it. Probably why when trying to look up other people's attempts at painting it in Google Image Search, I found absolutely zilch and thus just based it on Wizkids' "painted sample" (IE their cgi render but COLORIZED).

"But B.T. why did you get this mini then?"
Because I bought a "random lot" on ebay where the seller would just send a bunch of pieces and sadly far too many of what I got are player pieces with big annoying flowing capes like this one. At least I got a small few nice monsters and some decor bits and not just humanoid character pieces as awful as this one.

"But why did you finish it then?"
Spite.

DeepCutsElfPaladin.thumb.JPG.ddd59a51e046f548660b316477870b46.JPG

UPDATE: I showed it to my girlfriend and she asked me "what's on the hair" and I was curious if she meant the circlet I painted on to cover up the clumps on the forehead or the elf ears but she thought the hair itself was some sort of odd towel or something, which again goes to show how awful these things are because hey maybe that tiny fine detail on a CGI render won't look quite as fine when the mold gets cut and it becomes a chunky glob.

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had similar frustrations with this brand.  Finishing them is an exercise in patience and self control, and an opportunity to practice new techniques. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good job for powering through and finishing it. I agree with you, some of their stuff is pretty nice, some of it isn't.

• Like 2

i've been able to get ok results from their monsters.  but characters?  yikes.  i look at them and just get sad.  it's like they dip them in primer - and i've not had success stripping the primer and starting over.  it seems the solvents i've tried will also eat the adhesive and separate the parts.  i don't know.  

i think you've inspired me to take a crack at the characters again to see if i can get something i'd be happy with.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Preach it! I've hate-painted entire armies 😄

I mean... I am unfathomably clumsy so most miniatures I paint are finished out of spite... this is just the first that was all spite from start to finish.
I COULD have painted up one of my two Michael Palins and a teeny dwarf and maybe an elegant wizard that I'd primed last weekend but instead I hate-painted this.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

Two Michael Palins? You've piqued my curiosity.

I got a random bunch of Zombicide Black Plague minis a while back and most of those are pretty blatantly based on various characters of medieval and fantasy films and TV and a bunch of the ones I got were Monty Python And The Holy Grail knights, and I got two of Sir Galahad, so while I'm undecided if I should paint them as presented in the movie or just make my own stuff with em, since I got two Galahads I can already just paint one as I please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1