Using the long weekend to my advantage, I got a decent paint in on this guy.  Meet Gronk.

BATTLE REPORT!

20210531_103837.thumb.jpg.04e693f2db627f938a388b3b7d371129.jpg

Trying to do a more comic-style paint job, I did less wash and more highlights with bold color. 

Wins:

*  The two-toned leathers look fun and eye catching where they need to be.  

*  Staying to as simple color-scheme as possible helped me draw this one to a close.  (Brown, Orange, Green, ivory, red)

*  The eyes came out really good and I finally managed one of those little reflective white dots in the corner of the right eye.  

*  Opting to not color-up every single ribbon or fold as a new color and simply stick to the simple palette helped me keep pushing forward.

*  The shield came out great!  If you look close on the edges and near the dents, there's small orange highlights that are really faint.  Probably my favorite small thing on this model.  

Misses:

*  Not digging his green skin highlights.  Did a Green base, then ink wash, then went back over with same green, then brought up by adding white. Placement of the highlights is off as well as not understanding light.  Crux for me. 

*  Metal sword over all has a good look to it.  Can't seem to use the Vallejo Metals for edge highlighting.  Too runny.  Need to swap to regular metal paints and use edge of brush.  Love the Metals, but they are so thin and spread so quickly. 

*  Struggled with doing boots.  I want to darken them, but using black just seems too easy.  When they are super dark, I can't figure out how to bring the color up.  Lame.

*  On the dino skull on his shoulder something bad happened.  I went over it with bone color like 3 times to make sure it was thick enough.  Then did a wash to bring out the dips and dirty it up a little, but I guess pulled up the bone color before it dried - even though it was sitting for 15 or more minutes before I hit it.  That sucked.  Fixable, but not sure why I hate that color so much.

*  Learning how to be 'subtle' is something I need to develop.  It's almost like I'm needing to see big swings in the color to make  my eye train to it being different, but the reality is subtle would be better.

20210531_103919.thumb.jpg.d2108225099b4312f1348f45b2a99732.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crystocracy
      Before the known ages, the ancient gods, who were traveling through time and space, between galaxies and systems, between planets and moons, finally reached this small blue planet and its light gray moon. Millions of years ago, searching for the force on the dark side of this moon, they found the crystals that emitted enormous energy.

They took it with them and returned to the blue planet. With the use of the power from other dimensions they try to warp the crystal and use it for their own dark plans.
      It quickly turned out that the crystal emitted too much power, a power that did not harmonize with the forces of the Ancient One. The symbiosis caused conflict and damage to the ancients. The warped crystal had been abandoned by them here... and for millions of years, it had lain, covered by layers of earth and sand in the darkness and silence...

Hi.
      Greetings from Andrzej (Ater), Jakub (MiniaturesArtTeam), and Pawel  (PJG_sculptor). For some time we were working together on something on the side which finally became a big miniature project. We plan to put it together in a board-battle game!

But let's take small steps and start gently. In our first project, we want to offer you some miniatures from the world which were shown to us in the dreams by one guy, who calls himself Cthulhu (we know... it is quite weird, but the dreams were really cool).

Inspired by these visions, we create a new universe in the dark, steampunk/dieselpunk climate. Now we want to show you our project and we cordially invite you not only to participate in the project itself but also to create it. Please, share your thoughts and opinions with us! Please come closer, sit down and hear a story about the Crystocracy.

Instagram
      Facebook

Kickstarter

• By R2ED
      Here we go with another Nagendra.  Trying new colors each time I do them to try and have some fun with scales.  What I need to do on my next one is some kind of combination with yellow.  Something more challenging to work with to make it fun (or completely ruin it).  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Combo of golds and brown seemed to do alright.
      *  Felt brave enough to use an oil wash this time.  It's frustrating because I'm always afraid it's going to ruin the work I put in, but at the same time, the results could be awesome.  The wash is on the scales, and the shield.  I tried it on the sword, but it didn't lay into the lettering strong enough.
      *  The scales were good after the oil wash but needed a 'pop'. I went back and hit diagonally adjacent scales with a cream color.  Gave it a cool pattern without overwhelming the look.  I did my last one with an organic here or there approach.  This was more pattern driven.  Doing something like a diamond back would be a challenge worth doing.

Misses:
      *  The sword did not come out as I had hoped.  It looks washed out and the runes on it are less than ideal.  Could use some fix ideas for this.
      *  The shield also is missing...something.  I don't know what it is, but there's nothing really cool about it.
      *  Eyes are so small on this model it's hard to do anything fun.  I made them black with yellow slits, but you can't really see them due to the size.  Anyone else struggle with eyes that are too small to really detail?  Or have a solution worth trying?
      *  This one just didn't have the same pop effect I'd hoped for.  I'm not sure what's mising, but it's something.

• By R2ED
      Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
      *  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
      *  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  
      *  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.
      *  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:
      *  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  
      *  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.
      *  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.
      *  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

• By R2ED
      Took a shot at the ol OSL. 

This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up.  Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot.  Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it.  I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly.  Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.
      *  The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.  
      *  After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further.  I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.

Misses:
      *  The highlight on the face is way too much.  I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun.  Help.
      *  What colors to use for bringing up a light source?  I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away.  I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.
      *  The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something.  Does it look strange without it?

If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too.  I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL.  I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.  
    • By R2ED
      I've really been going after these dioramas.  I'm seriously enjoying the change of pace going from the painting to the working of a landscape.  There's still so much I'm learning on color, scenery, and flock, but it's definitely coming along.

I thought the pebbles were kind of fun like some kind of jewels, but it didn't hit like I wanted, so I then went and added some GreenStuff jewels among them to give the impression it's mixed precious stones.  Either way, the point of little Rocky hoarding and scheming I think comes across fine. 

Where I may have gone a little overboard was the chipping of the stones.  I think leaving the pillars chipped would have been better and leaving the scaled walls untouched.  It's just hard because as I worked it, I just felt it was needing something else.

There's a local contest that I've been dropping my minis into and it's killing me because I'm getting beat every time by warhammer models.  I keep trying to bring in something different that will make others go, "Oh, that's different."  Even if I don't win, Isuppose that's not the point of me doing them.  The point is to keep trying and using this contest as a motivator to do more.  With most of the other models just being based on a 1 to 3" base, these big boys that I've been doing are sure to catch more eyes than the usual smaller ones I've submitted before.  

Here's to hoping it wins in August or Sept.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)