3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Considering the amount of settlements that existed since antiquity and are still around, the title of "oldest" and "continuously inhabited" must have a lot of contenders.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

What I've seen of British archaeology is you can't swing a cat in England without hitting something Roman, and much of that was built on top of something Iron Age or older. 

Like I said, don't know how true that statement actually is (It just got mentioned a lot when the town was trying for city status back in 2000).

• Like 6
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 16,

Tell us something interesting about where you live. Town, city, county, state or country be as specific as you'd like.

Edmonton is rather boring, but likes to try and hype itself up like it's this big, bustling place, with a downtown that totally isn't dead, and that they've had half a dozen revitalization projects over the past three decades to make it not dead. 

Yeah, good luck with that, it's stupid expensive, there's no parking, and it's built heavily around the 9-5 environment, so so many things close by 5pm...

We do have the world's largest tourist trap, aka West Edmonton Mall... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 6/6/2021 at 9:16 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 6

so what is the most interesting critter you've ever had to remove from your home?

a raccoon dug in through the roof once that was fairly interesting

On 6/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 7

Giant killer worm fight. What's your favorite of these critters? (examples: shai halud, the thresher maw, purple worm, graboid, xol, any thing that is huge, burrows and is generally worm like) 

I'd probably have to go shai halud. although I do like cinder maw and it's weird refusal to eat people

On 6/8/2021 at 7:49 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 8

It's unreasonably hot! What do you do for dinner when it is too hot to turn on the oven?

the answer for me is usually salad

On 6/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 9

You walk out of a bar or club late at night, on a lamp post is a yellow and purple sticker with a 3 eyed dragon on it and a QR code. Do you scan the code?

nope! I had a friend who was thinking of advertising her illustration services that way, and I was just curious if anyone would.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:21 PM, Werkrobotwerk said:

I'm going to post this early for reasons

June 10,

Did the sun rise?

Do you know why I asked?

sort of, it was really cloudy that morning so it was mostly just red

On 6/11/2021 at 7:24 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 11

There are going to be large birds right outside your door and you have to choose which kind, turkeys or geese. Which do you choose and why?

I'd take the turkey. long as I don't look like a turkey it's probably fine

On 6/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 12 

Do you wake up at the same time on weekends as you do during the work week?

usually, but I hadn't that morning

On 6/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 13,

Is there an out of date mini that you particularly enjoy? have you got pictures?

I had mentioned the void mini, so here he is

void.thumb.jpg.675f7f6f501083b973ae310422286f70.jpg

On 6/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 14

ever forget what day of the week it is?

no but someone at work thanked me for calling them back and was surprised I was working on sunday. it wasn't sunday

On 6/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 15

Half way through the month! Got any half finished projects?

oh yeah a bunch of them. I'm trying to cut down on them a few at a time. at the time I asked the question I had been staring at a pair of bikes that had been base coated but unfinished for the better part of a yeah.

• Like 10
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

<insert maniacal laugh>

Pretty much all my projects are in that state.  I ended up in the hospital and on bed rest for about 10 days a couple weeks ago, so ALL my projects suffered and got pushed back.  Current list of 1/2 done projects that need finishing ASAP:

- Printing and fixes for Dark Sword, et. al.
- Fixes and reprint on some of the drakes for casting
- Sculpting of the wings to make the drakes into dragons

- New sculpting project for Dark Sword
- Sculpting project for Dragon Bait
- My son's and his fiancé's wedding rings (wedding is on July 30)

- Prep for the adventure I am running for my son's bachelor's party
- 2 paintings for the Reaper Open at ReaperCon
- 3 new handout instruction sheets for my 3 new classes at ReaperCon

I'm feeling very, VERY behind right now. 

We (MN) have 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.

Oh cool. Are you sculpting Egyptians for Dragon Bait?  Please say yes!

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 16,

Tell us something interesting about where you live. Town, city, county, state or country be as specific as you'd like.

I live in what locals call the most pretentious suburb of Research Triangle Park.  I don't think that's true anymore - but it might have been 20 years ago when the town got that reputation.

If you're not familiar with the Research Triangle - it's a chunk of land in the middle of the triangle between NC State University in Raleigh, Duke University in Durham, and UNC-Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill.  (If you follow US college basketball, you've probably heard of two of these.)  A bunch of companies, including IBM, decided the land was cheap and the potential talent pool was good so they created the Research Triangle Park.  There's more to the story than this, I'm sure.

One interesting side effect is RTP has a reverse rush hour.  Instead of the evening rush hour being commuters leaving the city, they're driving to the city.  Rush hour here still sucks though.  I don't miss it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 16,

My hometown has a giant skunk in the campground as the town mascot. It's also supposedly the resting place of the real Sam McGee in the "Cremation of Sam McGee poem". It's nowhere near the Yukon. The diner in Ghostbusters 3 is actually a tire shop, and my grandpa owned it for most of my life. You used to be able to rent videos in the front. The adult selection was above the tire shop.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Oh cool. Are you sculpting Egyptians for Dragon Bait?  Please say yes!

No, it's actually a little side project for the steam punk line.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 17

Kobolds vary quite a bit, do you have a preferred kobold design?

I much prefer the later designs of kobolds from D&D 3.x and up.

They went from dog-faced or rat-faced lizard like people to small spindly dragon descended humanoids.

excerpt_MM_0916_2.png

kobold-evolution.jpg

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 17

I prefer the draconic kobolds of late, much more than whatever they were supposed to be in 1st ed AD&D.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 17

I like either.

Especially these:

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-17 143245.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 17

I like the draconic versions,  its just too useful to have a race of dragon servants/chew toys.  

they have been present in this role  in many campaigns 

the best use I got out of them before that was a single quote drifting down form a 1st ed campaign  

"Quit wounding the Kobolds!"   they had 1d4 hp, and when one player was contributing so little to the fight that he had hit, more than once and failed to kill one, another player got really annoyed.  I still use it when party members are being shockingly ineffective. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1