3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

"good artists borrow great artists steal" have you ever found a work you really enjoy because someone else was cribbing from it?

Covers of songs by other artists don't really count as stealing, in my opinion. But The 8-bit Big Band's cover of "Still Alive" from Portal starts with the exact same intro as Frank Sinatra's "I've Got The World On A String", and so I suppose that would count.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

"good artists borrow great artists steal" have you ever found a work you really enjoy because someone else was cribbing from it?

I actually like "Behind Blue Eyes" from Limb Bizkit which was originally a WHO song, which I also liked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

Starcraft was originally supposed to have been a Warhammer 40K game, but the agreement broke down and they had to change things so that it was different enough from the IP. Lately, Games Workshop has taken inspiration from Starcraft for some of their models, and the similarities are interesting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have found a lot of songs by first loving the Weird Al, Pentatonix, or Home Free version first.  In the case of the last two, I often like their versions better. Weird Al, though I often like his version better, it is for a different reason. ;)

Weird Al in particular has introduced me to so many songs I wouldn't have heard otherwise. But I almost always like his version better.

Last week on the Masked Singer finale (my wife loves that show, so I've learned to at least enjoy it), when the music started I was SO hoping Chameleon was doing Amish Paradise......

Lots of covers of songs are pretty unimpressive, but the ones that they really embrace often stand out, like Johnny's version of Hurt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

As many others have said many, many pieces of music. The first thing that pops to mind is Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. I absolutely love it over the original version.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I actually like "Behind Blue Eyes" from Limb Bizkit which was originally a WHO song, which I also liked.

Same.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

Well, in literature everything gets cribbed from sooner or later. When I first got around to reading The Odyssey, I found that I already knew most of it from elsewhere...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

Nothing that comes to mind right now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 2,

Nothing really comes to mind. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 3,

If you were to throw the book at some one, which book would you throw?

With the amount of spelling mistakes I see online (particularly in French), a dictionary (or thesaurus) would be an easy choice.

A good dictionary is hefty and can take some abuse. Perfect for didactic violence!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
41 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 3,

Depends on what they did to deserve it; I mean I have access to a copy of the Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary which could be lethal (if I could even throw it).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Depends on what they did to deserve it; I mean I have access to a copy of the Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary which could be lethal (if I could even throw it).

36 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

With the amount of spelling mistakes I see online (particularly in French), a dictionary (or thesaurus) would be an easy choice.

A good dictionary is hefty and can take some abuse. Perfect for didactic violence!

I'll make it three for three.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

I'll make it three for three.

Oh, OH! Are stone tablets still a thing?

Those count as books, right? Granted, I risk throwing my back out, but I may be willing to go that far for education.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 3,

I'm overly protective of my books, so none of mine! 

I "think" they still make phone books.  Those are pretty much pointless now, and not a very exciting read, so one of those.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1