Getting to know you June 2021

53 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Way behind on these so just going to jump to today's question...

So I've never played Paranoia, but now that I've read a quick synopsis of it I think I might have to try it at some point. So it looks like the "stab your buddy in the back" kind of game, so how about some weapons or explosives that are operated by remote control... except the person with the weapon isn't the same as the person with the remote for it? I love @Corsair's silly string mace idea too. I have no idea if these would fit into that system though.

remote guns is a good one!

but yeah it's a back stab kind of game. you're a cloned worker who has been given a mission by the computer who runs the bunker where you live. the computer is hopelessly broken/insane, so your mission is likely impossible. your goal is get out of the mission alive, which is usually a mix of blaming the failures on others, completing some other task and convincing the computer that's what you were supposed to do, or finding the mutant commie traitors who sabotaged the mission and letting the computer execute them. add to that that every player is a mutant, and all the equipment is broken in some way.

• Like 8

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

I'm thinking about running paranoia at a convention. Suggest some useless, funny, harmful, or pointless secret agent gadgets I can force on the trouble shooters. 

No idea; not my kind of game.

But the rubber chicken seems to be a staple of the Useless Weapon Cache, so... YMMV

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

remote guns is a good one!

but yeah it's a back stab kind of game. you're a cloned worker who has been given a mission by the computer who runs the bunker where you live. the computer is hopelessly broken/insane, so your mission is likely impossible. your goal is get out of the mission alive, which is usually a mix of blaming the failures on others, completing some other task and convincing the computer that's what you were supposed to do, or finding the mutant commie traitors who sabotaged the mission and letting the computer execute them. add to that that every player is a mutant, and all the equipment is broken in some way.

A key missing description: it's a comedy. It's not intended to be serious.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

you're a cloned worker who has been given a mission by the computer who runs the bunker where you live. the computer is hopelessly broken/insane, so your mission is likely impossible. your goal is get out of the mission alive

Okay, yeah, I'm definitely looking into this game. That sounds like the kind of nonsense my group likes to get into even in our "normal" games.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

I'm thinking about running paranoia at a convention. Suggest some useless, funny, harmful, or pointless secret agent gadgets I can force on the trouble shooters. 

An earpiece that lets you listen to conversations, but it always sounds like a mosquito buzzing in your ear when you use it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Okay, yeah, I'm definitely looking into this game. That sounds like the kind of nonsense my group likes to get into even in our "normal" games.

When properly done, the urge to double-cross and stab your fellow players literally starts during character creation. Players creates their character at the same time, and you go round-table choosing one skill at a positive, then the player to the right gets that skill at a negative. Then that player chooses a new skill at a positive, and the one at their right gets a negative. Then you sum your attributes, and the player to your right you've kept giving negative skills gets to rearrange where your attributes go.

I find that a good way of understanding the setting is to imagine a dark dystopian sci-fi future as being mostly inhabited by Spongebob Squarepants (and many Patricks) levels of intellect, and you and your fellow troubleshooters happen to be Squidward. And every one above your clearance level is Mr. Krabs.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

Sorry. I only played Paranoia once. It was fun. but that is all I remember about the experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

A laser pistol with all the settings incorrectly labeled (safe is fire, kill is stun, etc).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

A Handy Basic Toolkit, the kind you might buy your kid when he gets his first car or moves into his own apartment.  Of course, it is made by citizens working under Friend Computer's instructions and it is the flimsiest piece of crap you can imagine.  Each tool is single use, and breaks after one application.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

Agent, it's your lucky day!  R&D is furnishing you with its latest design in highly advanced jet pack systems.  This cutting edge technology is light and compact enough for you to wear constantly for the duration of your mission, so it will always be ready to use at a moment's notice.

You need not trouble yourself with any concerns about the prevalence of low ceilings in Alpha Complex.  And disregard any treasonous rumours about the hair-trigger instability of the activation switch on the jet pack.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 29,

What is the largest number of notifications you've gotten about a single shipment?

Not enough, ever.  I'd be happy with real time GPS tracking on them.  I'm definitely a "have a tab open for each package I'm tracking and hit F5 on each many, many times a day.

But to answer the question, maybe around 6  or so emails, usually due to Amazon letting me know it "might not make it on time" and "it has been delayed" type stuff.

Nothing too bad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 29,

What is the largest number of notifications you've gotten about a single shipment?

About five.  For some reason that package traveled backward a few times.  Got postage, tracking #,delivered tomorrow, Tracking # leaving hub, delivered tomorrow, out for delivery. When I checked in between notifications it would jump around the country.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1