Getting to know you June 2021

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

How much more money would it take to get you to change jobs?

Right now?  Probably not much, since I'm unemployed, and a steady income is always a nice thing.  If it were a few months ago, or even a year ago?  It would take a fair bit.  My old job may not have been the cushiest with regards to pay, but it also happened to provide not only enough to live on with a bit extra, but to also slowly work towards various goals we have as well. 

I actually had a few offers crop up over the years while working, and while some of them were rather enticing, especially with offering twice the pay, I also knew it was three times the work (carpets are heavy). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

Being currently unemployed, not much. Offers aren't pouring in (except for scam offers through email and phone) so it won't take much right now. Usually, in past times, it's always been weighed more in terms of money (including benefits) + skills gained. My middle initial is "M", which I always joke stands for "mercenary" because for the right amount of money I'll do it.

Money can't buy happiness... but it sure can buy minis, and minis make me happy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

infinite, or loss of financial viability.  I am retired, the best job there is as long as you have enough.  My net income is larger because I put so much into my 457 (IRA for public employees).  Now I get to read goof around and do things I like.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:25 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 27

There's going to be chili for dinner? What do you serve with it? 

Corn bread, salad, pickled jalepenos, and bout 4 kind of hot sauce to meet eveyone's specifications...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

If you asked me two months ago:

"One dollar".

Yeah, I hated my old job.

But since you ask me now... I guess it would depend on what my new job would be. While I really like my current job, it's by no means my dream job.

Quite a lot, if I'm moving to a bad job. Quite a little, if moving to a better job.

Yay, totally non-definitive answers! Let's all give Musicalfeline a round of applause!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

A lot. I love my job. It gets me outdoors. It is beneficial to the public safety, economic success, and environmental health of my state. And it allows me to occasionally do new research without having to be in an academic role. Add to that the fact that both my wife and I have professional incomes and no kids and we're not really hurting for the necessities. That being said I do get contacted by headhunters 2 or 3 times a year with job offers and this is my response:

• $250k a year with a minimum five year contract
  • full health, dental, and vision 
  • 4 weeks paid vacation and a week of paid sick leave per year
  • Matching contributions to a 401k or similar
  • Company vehicle and equipment budget

I've had a few "we'll get back to you" replies. But no takers. Which is fine, because although I know making that kind of money would get me to change jobs, I don't really want to.

2 hours ago, Iridil said:

Corn bread, salad, pickled jalepenos, and bout 4 kind of hot sauce to meet eveyone's specifications...

For a second there I thought this was the answer to the jobs question and was wondering just how bad your current career is if you'd be willing to change it for a meal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 29,

What is the largest number of notifications you've gotten about a single shipment?

I don't know, I don't keep track.

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

It would greatly depend. I actually like the job I have now, and while I may not bounce out of bed every morning happy and eager to go to work, I don't dread having to go to work, either. My previous job, I absolutely did. Actually enjoying being at work is worth quite a bit of money to me, 'cause I'm not constantly depressed anymore.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2021 at 7:52 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 17

Kobolds vary quite a bit, do you have a preferred kobold design?

I like the ones that are short and dragony with four little nub horns, and flappy ears

On 6/18/2021 at 7:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 18,

How do you outsmart a time traveler?

keep changing your mind I guess?

On 6/19/2021 at 10:02 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 19

Have you ever been to an in person auction? How'd it go?

yes! both as a seller and a bidder. it's fun on occasion.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 20,

you stumble across a cool looking bottle, it has a genie inside. you get 3 wishes, what 3 do you make?

1 fix the mass transit in new jersey

2 give me all the information required to make the most efficient solar panels possible

3 can't say this one here

On 6/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 21, 

Are there any kinds of minis that were previously hard to find that you now have too many of?

honestly probably woman knights. I could use some more woman clerics, and a few other classes but I think I'm good on knights now

On 6/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 22

I like to leave joke weapons scattered around dungeons, got any suggestions for good ones? Can be any setting any type.

the muppet cestus. it works to punch stuff, but any time you are not punching it is just flailing little felt arms around and telling dumb jokes.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 23

Your town now has a professional sports team for a sport no one in town plays, for some reason you have been put in charge of naming the team. What is the sport and what do you name the team.

professional caber toss team. the new milford wood chucks

On 6/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 24

You need to have a meeting with someone over zoom/skype/webex/facetime/whatever, do you care about having the cameras on?

no. After this last year I've come to the conclusion that there's just no situation where having me on camera is helping anyone. and really having other people on camera is generally not going to help me at all

On 6/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 25,

Choose one animal. You have to rename it. Can't give it the same name it had, can't give it a name something else has.

horse shoe crab "pan crab"

On 6/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 26

What is the best dragon, and why?

I mostly go for ones like argent, or the enormous lizard blimp with wings kind

On 6/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 27

I usually do rice, and cheese with it.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:21 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 28

I'm thinking about running paranoia at a convention. Suggest some useless, funny, harmful, or pointless secret agent gadgets I can force on the trouble shooters. 

bomb detector. it only beeps AFTER the bomb goes off

On 6/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 29,

What is the largest number of notifications you've gotten about a single shipment?

9! CMON REALLY wanted me to know my zombicide comics shipped on the 28th

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

I'm not sure. I had been looking at the posting for another job today. It had good money, but the vacation time and health insurance were really bad so I passed on it

and with that June is done! I hope you all had a good time Glitterwolf will be taking over tomorrow with your July questions

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

If I was offered the same income to do a job that I enjoyed more I'd change.

That said, it would also have to keep or improve on my current arrangements (3 days a week, guaranteed 1 day from home, flexible working hours etc.

Edited by ratsmitglied
oops double post
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 30

It depends

11 hours ago, VitM said:

It's a sliding scale based upon the new workplace environment in comparison to my current one.

Very much this.

I'm just coming up on one year at my current job, and I rather like the company. I think I will eventually want to move on to a slightly different job and industry, but I am in no hurry. Maybe in another year or three.

Having said that:

To answer the question a little more directly, if a company that interested me came to me with a position better geared towards my  current career goals and skills, I might take it sooner. I would almost certainly try to score a 10-20%  raise, but most small-medium companies don't pay that well.

On the flip side, it turns out that there are a few large tech companies that I shy away from even when there is a prospect of a substantial pay raise. (I haven't actually  gotten an offer, but I have had a couple of invitations to go interview)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

June 27

Without further context, I will assume some kind of "classic" chili con carne. That's what comes to my mind by default. This list would also work with "Texas Red".

Given that, I am likely to have corn bread, shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped onions on the table.

If I'm feeling fancy (Or bored), there are at least half a dozen other optional toppings I might add.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1