I've been thinking of making molds of body parts (limbs, torso, head, etc) that could be conne 192.168.0.1 cted with wires and posed. That would make customizing minis a bit faster. I was wondering if anyone else had done that. I couldn't find anything by searching, but I could be using the wrong terms. If anyone's tried it and has any tips, photos, or can link to a post, that'd be great. Thanks!

Edited by PacoBelan
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, PacoBelan said:

I've been thinking of making molds of body parts (limbs, torso, head, etc) that could be connected with wires and posed. That would make customizing minis a bit faster. I was wondering if anyone else had done that. I couldn't find anything by searching, but I could be using the wrong terms. If anyone's tried it and has any tips, photos, or can link to a post, that'd be great. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum!

Do you mean sculpting parts yourself and then make molds for them to repeat the process?

On 6/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, PacoBelan said:

I've been thinking of making molds of body parts (limbs, torso, head, etc) that could be conne 192.168.0.1 cted with wires and posed. That would make customizing minis a bit faster. I was wondering if anyone else had done that. I couldn't find anything by searching, but I could be using the wrong terms. If anyone's tried it and has any tips, photos, or can link to a post, that'd be great. Thanks!

The concept sounds better than if you try to put it into practice.  I have used instamould (oyumaru) to copy and transfer individual detail in putty to other models.  If you are looking for free standing parts that are not supported by the miniatures surface it is quite difficult in instamould (such as a pointing hand on an outstretched arm).  If you are sculpting your own parts and mould making you can do whatever you want.  However they will have to be cast in a liquid resin as the silicone needed for the two sided moulds generally does not work well with greenstuff (or milliput) as the silicone deforms when you are pressing the putty into the surface details.  In my experience that process is more expensive and time consuming than it is worth.  My two cents.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, snitchythedog said:

In my experience that process is more expensive and time consuming than it is worth.  My two cents.

Though I hate to do it I have to agree with what @snitchythedog says, especially the last two sentences. I invested pretty heavily into oyumaru awhile back hoping to offset hobby expenses. In the end all I really got was a lot of miscasts and many hours of lost hobby time though.

Having seen it used successfully I know it is possible but it can be a very steep learning curve. I never got the hang of it for two part molds but I did learn how to do single side molds. In the end that's all I was able to manage though. It is great for recreating things for bases and scatter terrain though. 

8 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I never got the hang of it for two part molds but I did learn how to do single side molds. In the end that's all I was able to manage though.

For what it is instamould (oyumaru) is a great product.  The key is learning what its limitations are and working within those limitations or the learning curve that you were talking about.  It can be used to make small two part moulds but does not work particularly well for a variety of reasons.   

My comments about expense and time is in relation to silicone moulds and casting resin vs what PacoBelan was wanting to do.  Some miniature companies do use this process for making masters but they generally make blank or partially complete bodies that they can add smaller details such as hands/face to.  Smaller "soft' details in almost all cases involve pushing putty.  

On 6/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, kristof65 said:

What's with the suspicious link to the .onl domain in the middle of your post? 

I think it is the IP for his router but I am not quite sure. 

Edited by snitchythedog