REA03445 Drunken Pirate

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Has anyone tried to disassemble the pre-assembled parts? Specifically separating the main deck from the sides of the gun deck? Or even what kind of glue works best for the soft plastic parts of the ship?
    • By Heisler
      Since I inadvertently derailed the PIRATE SHIP! for bones 5 kickstarter thread it makes sense to have a thread dedicated to building and modifying this massive piece of gaming terrain, a character in its own right. Feel free to jump in with your own ideas and dreams for this beauty.

Personally, I want to add a lot more detail to this kit. More deck furniture, rigging, sails, cabin and gun deck details and some hard core changes to how it comes apart for play. I tend to work from a more historical perspective because grounding everything in a little bit of fact will make it look better in the end. My first step was to find a "real" ship to base the rigging on. For this purpose I'm going to work from the rigging for the Queen Anne's Revenge, Blackbeard's flagship. I'm also taking some inspiration from Jack Sparrow's Black Pearl just to get that Hollywood fantasy feel and not get to historically hard core.

Some of these goals are completely at odds with the way the Sophie's Revenge was molded and put together at the factory. Pretty much anything I want to do means that I need to actually disassemble the ship first and then revise how it goes back together. Step 1 is figuring out how to get it down to its component pieces. I threw a few questions at Reaper Jon mostly to confirm what I already suspected; 1) Super glue is going to be the only real choice for assembly (although contact cement for some areas might work as well), epoxy will likely make an appearance as well. However, straight from the factory I figured all they would have used is super glue. If they used CA then acetone should work to at least soften if not dissolve the glue used to put it together.

With some trepidation and equipped with a hobby knife, a sculpting tool and a can of acetone I started trying to take the aft cabin (which for Sophie's Revenge also constitutes the quarter and poop decks) apart. I was somewhat relieved to figure out that in most areas they really didn't use that much glue. I started at the stairs leading to the quarterdeck on the left (port) side. I flooded the joint, from the top and from the bottom, with acetone (its important to let it sit for a minute and go to work on the glue), then I started to flex the plastic to create an opening for my flat bladed sculpting tool to insert into the joint and start to pry things apart. I only used the knife in spots where there was so much CA that I cut into the CA with the knife to create a channel for the acetone. The plastic is very flexible and held up to my less than gentle flexing quite well. You can see stress fractures appear though, they will show up as white streaks. Most of these are between the deck planking where the plastic is pretty thin. You do need to proceed slowly and patiently. I did break the edge of the deck that fits into the slot in a couple of places. Not terrible and I'll leave those bits in place, it will get everything lined back up when I reassemble things.

It took about an hour but I managed to separate the decks from the side walls. The sidewalls are made up of another 5 or 6 pieces but I decided I didn't need to take those apart so those will remain intact, I should be able to add plenty of detail without completely disassembling them.

• By Iridil
      And here is a quick paint of one of the Bones V Brinewind pirates - he's an NPC known as Jacob the uneven - a sailor with vitiligo. Not too bad for a speedpaint.

• By EvilJames
      Welcome back all ye lads and lasses to another talk like a pirate day! Been rough seas out there, but today, the sky be clear 'n we 'ave a strong wind at our backs. So weigh anchor and off we go!
    • By Inarah
      Dreadmere fishing boat, not much, but it will get you in the water:

Captain Blackcrumb:

Finally, Mariel Twinspar.  Did her as a speed paint at the con, cleaned her up a bit when I got home: 

Before and after.....

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)