Reaper manticore 77577 - Hi vis style

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, this looks great! 

Second - did you dry brush, then wash, then highlight in the mane?  The wings also are nicely detailed in the membrane.  It's that a wash or filter? 

Curious on how you got your results to stand out.  I recently did a wyvern, but the wings didn't take to the coloring as well. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, R2ED said:

First, this looks great! 

Second - did you dry brush, then wash, then highlight in the mane?  The wings also are nicely detailed in the membrane.  It's that a wash or filter? 

Curious on how you got your results to stand out.  I recently did a wyvern, but the wings didn't take to the coloring as well. 

Glad You like it. It was an experiment: basecoat Blood red, zenithal with fiery Orange, drybrush with some generic yellow. And then glaze with thin purple ( about 2 layers, zenithal still making a value difference) and final drybrush with emperors children Pink. The glorious behind done with glazes of peacock Green and heavy drybrush of generic mint Green. The wings did not look right after just reglazing them with thinned Blood red, so I went i to deeper reds and also glazed the recesses. Overall after preshading it with zenithal and drybrush, took less than 2 hours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you do that same method - base coat, zenithal with lighter value, dry brush higher tone, wash, then highlight?  I'm looking to try something new. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, R2ED said:

Did you do that same method - base coat, zenithal with lighter value, dry brush higher tone, wash, then highlight?  I'm looking to try something new. 

I try to avoid washes nowadays. The results are erratic at best ( unless You paint base coat 2 shades lighter than usual and dip the mini) . Zenithal and glaze does pretty much the same job but the transitions are smoother. 

My biggest gripe with classical black-Grey-white zenithal is that based on the figure's body position almost half of the body can be tragically underpainted. This manticore was an experiment of painting as much of the figure as possible during priming process, so priming and highlighting already using base colors. 

• Like 1