Got another one to submit, but still needs its base.  Mr. Monk here was a pretty fast shot.  I tried to keep colors as simple as possible (which may or may not have been left over colors from my owl bear I did) to just keep the paint moving.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

*  Used a flat flesh color with the simple Reikland Flesh shade wash.  Combo worked well, but dude looks a little...odd.  Will have to add more warmth next time.

*  Brown hues and simplicity of the scheme helped.

*  Really enjoying doing townsfolk because of the limited details I need to get into.  

*  Hair felt much better this time.  Going with a dark brown, up to a mid brown, then highlight in the ridge of the hairline.  

@Inarah I used your method on rope on his belt.  Worked!

Opporunity:

*  Playing with flesh tones and how to raise the contrast is very difficult for me.  Without making it look...fake.  I keep trying to find easier ways to do it, but I think it's just gotta invest to get the best results.

*  Cape volumes didn't really pop.  I was hoping for more depth in the contrast, but it didn't show through and I wasn't willing to push it further after a few failed attempts.  

*  Painting with bone white or ivory continue to plague me.  Multiple layers needed because of the chalky pigment density.  Anyone got a solve for this?

For a base, I'm thinking of including some kind of cross or something behind him.  We'll see.  I found some pretty nifty little wood engraved sets at Dollar Tree (loving that place more and more these days) that will work perfect.  Speaking of which, I have a demon hunter I haven't based yet, that could use one of those, too. Hm...IMG_20210626_183326_032.thumb.jpg.cbb7350c0f095c2c3164cc78c25fcfcd.jpgIMG_20210626_183326_067.thumb.jpg.2875e45e712367cfc60596cb93f61687.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Krasslinggreat question!  I had some feedback on another mini i painted where someone suggested using a linen color (or light color) and wash it.  I did exactly that, but went back in after wash dried and highlighted each section of that belt further to show it better.  Worked like a charm.  I can't remember who said it, but they were right! 

Thanks for the positive feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, R2ED said:

@Krasslinggreat question!  I had some feedback on another mini i painted where someone suggested using a linen color (or light color) and wash it.  I did exactly that, but went back in after wash dried and highlighted each section of that belt further to show it better.  Worked like a charm.  I can't remember who said it, but they were right! 

Thanks for the positive feedback. 

Thank you. Looks really convincing. I have to try it that way myself.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.