Griffon - nearly all dry brushed

R2ED

Oh, man!  This one I'm really happy with.  I watched yet another video where someone did a griffon nearly all dry brushed and thought since I had problems doing wings a while back, I could try it.  I did and am shocked with the results!

20210627_090405.thumb.jpg.ad5102bd4201b66564d146277cae719b.jpg

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

*  Using a tri-color system to lighten things up strategically picking out colors ahead and setting them aside.  

*  Sticking to a plan helped address speed and order of operations.

*  Using new dry brush make-up brush has SIGNIFICANTLY increased my ability with the method.  I'd sucked at dry brushing - could be due to either pressure or paint application, but either way it worked awesome this time.  

*  No washes.  

*  No inks.

*  Really only used a 2nd brush to hit the highlights on beak, eyes, and claws.  

*  Finally got to utilize a reference book I snagged for cheap at B&N for birds.  

@Darcstaar I also utilized your method for claws after you mentioned it.  I LOVE IT!  Thank you for the combo.

Misses:

*  I somewhat botched one of the eyes - the left.  It's not perfectly centered in the yellow circle.  I was also having a hard time thinking how far I should push the yellow.  Not super noticiable, but I know it's there.

*  White/fur/feather area near the head feels a little off, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  I am still happy with the results, but something in that transition seems off.

*  The fur on the lion body was originally higher volume in cream color, but I dialed it back.  I think a much lighter color would do it good to help bring some brighter contrast in, but I chickened out before touching it up because I liked the work as it was.  Wimped out.

*  the bottom of the body is still darkly shaded due to how the dry brushing worked out, but I think it's still okay?  Ish.

*  I'm also panicked about doing the base because this easily just became one of my favorite pieces.  I've got the basing materials setting up right now and drying -so I hope in the next few hours I get to post this in completed works and it looks rad!  

Always open to feedback and love hearing it.  As I mentioned, I use the comments to the fullest to make the most of my next one.  

20210627_092239.thumb.jpg.b0c4ccc19ab16b01e61f41666084d163.jpg

20210627_090325.thumb.jpg.517401960399211d51d5129b77ebd831.jpg

• Like 17

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I could help.

This kind of model does well with drybrushing.  It’s one of those things…could it look better with glazes, and individually picking out feather vanes?  Sure, maybe.  But it would take 100 times longer.

• Like 3