Canadian backers "BROKERAGE FEE" from UPS

Just a big heads up to other Canadian backers, that once again UPS brokerage fees are a giant scam.  You can self clear your package with CBSA and pay the appropriate taxes without all the tacked on fees.

Handy guide here.

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-avoid-broker-fees-just-in-time-for-online-xmas-shopping/#mv-creation-121-jtr

Also please consider a different shipping option to Canada in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell the creators directly to look for other options during the campaign. I don't back otherwise.

My post was written before I learned that Reaper was changing how they were shipping to Canada. I would not have backed as much

Edited by lexomatic

This is why if they'll only ship UPS, I get it shipped Expedited or faster, usually Worldwide Saver.  You get it in 1-2 business days, and it's a flat $10 CAD fee, instead of the variable rate that Standard has (it's tiered, based upon declared value of package).

I walk or take the bus to get around, so I plan for the $10 CAD expense, as that's much easier for me than using up two hours of free time to self-clear.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

This is why if they'll only ship UPS, I get it shipped Expedited or faster, usually Worldwide Saver.  You get it in 1-2 business days, and it's a flat $10 CAD fee, instead of the variable rate that Standard has (it's tiered, based upon declared value of package).

I walk or take the bus to get around, so I plan for the $10 CAD expense, as that's much easier for me than using up two hours of free time to self-clear.

A $30 fee for $40 of paint that my mom got sent to me for Christmas (after they already charged shipping fees to her) is exorbitant. That and they don't always give notification in any form over important "Urgent" mail (which I've kvetched about on other threads). UPS can get bent.

19 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

A $30 fee for $40 of paint that my mom got sent to me for Christmas (after they already charged shipping fees to her) is exorbitant. That and they don't always give notification in any form over important "Urgent" mail (which I've kvetched about on other threads). UPS can get bent.

Yeah, that I would be annoyed with.  I'm guessing it was sent UPS Standard?  You guys also have like 15% tax over there too.

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, that I would be annoyed with.  I'm guessing it was sent UPS Standard?  You guys also have like 15% tax over there too.

Not sure. I would expect it was sent standard. I doubt she would have gone for deluxe shipping - shouldn't be a need for it on that occasion. And even if there was... they failed that too on the more recent occasion.

• Like 1